[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sports leagues cancelling a season

DMD

When a major sports league cancels the season...  

70 members have voted

1. 1. When a major sports league cancels the season...

• Good - players need protection from owners regardless
    • Bad - grown millionaires playing a kids sports - sheesh!
    • Neutral - just a sign of the times

The players are being unrealistic.  You can't slice a pie the way they want to.  They need a bigger pie, not a better share of it.

700720[/snapback]

Very well said.

It's also getting old to me (I am a hockey fan...had season tix for the Capitals from 88-94, and the Coyotes in 98-99) to hear Brett Hull, Jeremy Roenick, and other multi-millionaires speaking on behalf of the players, saying that a 26 game season would be a slap in the face, etc....and that they're better off not playing this year. Ask a 2nd or 3rd year, 4th-line defenseman who's never had a multi-year, $50M deal if he'd like to play this year. The NHLPA won't put those guys in front of a camera.

The NHL for all intents and purposes was on life support in the States before deciding to kiss off the entire season. So in essence they decided...."Hey,let's pull the plug and see if maybe he'll breath on his own." Gary Bettman sold the NHL owners on a plan that was very successful for the NBA in the 80s and early 90s but he grossly underestimated the general disinterest among most of the USA regarding hockey and foolishly overexpanded the league too quickly. Carolina,Columbus,Nashville are not hockey cities and will never be. No large TV contract spelled the end of the gravy train for the players and 1/2 of the owners this season will save money by NOT having a season. Bettman and Goodenow turned this into a personal pis*** contest and we hockey fans are left to suffer for it. The NHL has lost a long time fan.....and I live in Hockeytown!!! At least until May when I'm heading west to AZ!

While I can appreciate the players wanting their share, it is just hard to fathom that they were being asked to give up so much that forgoing the season was the best option. In any sports, players have a limited span of time to play and giving up a year could be huge to them. Evidently another aspect is that the players cannot vote on anything unless the player's association gives it to them, so there's some amount of power and discretion of the PA over what the players individually want.

It is hard to imagine how this serves anyone's best interests, most of all the fans.

700580[/snapback]

My beloved sis got me into hockey, as an Islander fan after hey beat the Rangers on Jude Druin's OT goal in the fifth game of a best of five. I remained an avid hockey fan through the cup years, but began to sour on the sport during that time. In the Islanders second championship year, I believe that's right, the atrocities permitted to Tiger Williams on Mike Bossy really began to turn me off to hockey. The Isles beat Toronto that year, but I actually stood up and screamed bloody murder at Scotty Morrison, the then head of NHL refs at the time, at the end of game 4 in the coleseum.

Underdstandably, I did not abandon hockey altogether until the Isles' demise, but that wasn't why I left hockey as a fan. I still enjoy Olympic hockey quit a bit, but the NHL style of play, bad refs, clutch and grab, fighting and small rinks, etc leave me cold.

With the exception of the NFL, I no longer follow professional sports. I gave up on baseball three years ago, for a multitude of reasons, too numerous to even list here. The steroid scandal, and the ruination of Cooperstown and the records held there was just the icing on the cake, for me.

Greedy players, greedy owners, of course it's always the fan who is the very last consideration by owners and players alike, no matter what the sport. Cripes, going to a baseball game ALONE, and having a couple beers sets one back $100. During the last baseball scare I actually hoped that the players would start a new league, go broke in the process, and bankrupt the owners.

I sucked at basketball, and as a result, don't watch or follow it much. I'm starting to follow european soccer now though, but the TV coverage sucks. Back on topic..... I don't miss the NHL in the least. The players are idiots, the league is WAY over-expanded, and at least 10 clubs should fold, if only to bring the level of play back to where it was 10 years ago. Again, the last consideration on this matter by players and owners is the fans. Mike Milbury, the Islanders GM actually called every season ticket holder to apologise for the cancellation of the season. I don't figure that as a big deal.... he has nothing much else to do right now.

I keep reading here (and hearing elsewhere) people refer to this as a strike. The Players didn't strike. The Owners locked them out. The players were not asking for anything extra. They simply wanted to play out this season under the already agreed upon conditions. If the owners don't like it, they shouldn't have ageed to the conditions of the current agreement. Once the current agreement runs out, and then they want to change things, I'd be fine with that. But to decide that you just are not happy honoring the agreement that you already made in good faith, is pretty low... and completely unacceptable that it has now resulted in a canceled season. I'm not saying that the players are completely innocent here. Obviously personal greed motivates most anyone in any business. But I don't see how anyone can defend the owners actions in this particular scenario. They are welchers, and I hope that their businesses and the NHL in general never recovers.

"This agreement is retroactive to September 16th 1993,and shall remain in full force and effect until midnight on the 15th day of September 2004,and shall remain in effect from year to year thereafter unless and until either party shall furnish the other a written notice of termination of this agreement 120 days prior to the 15th of September,2004."

The agreement was up this year as the owners and the NHLPA have known since 1999 that this agreement would not be renewed in it's present form. The owners submitted thier termination letter to the players way before September so they are in essence not renegging on any contract. The players simply have to accept that the money will never be the same as it was in these past 'golden years' and work with the owners to get salaries back into a managable range. That's why it's funny to see Hull,Roenick,Lidstrom or Guerin doing the talking for the players. Those guys have made thier money and won't have to worry about what the new CBA looks like. It's the mid level guys who are taking it on the chin and will be the first to cross the lines next year as replacement players.

"This agreement is retroactive to September 16th 1993,and shall remain in full force and effect until midnight on the 15th day of September 2004,and shall remain in effect from year to year thereafter unless and until either party shall furnish the other a written notice of termination of this agreement 120 days prior to the 15th of September,2004."

The agreement was up this year as the owners and the NHLPA have known since 1999 that this agreement would not be renewed in it's present form. The owners submitted thier termination letter to the players way before September so they are in essence not renegging on any contract. The players simply have to accept that the money will never be the same as it was in these past 'golden years' and work with the owners to get salaries back into a managable range. That's why it's funny to see Hull,Roenick,Lidstrom or Guerin doing the talking for the players. Those guys have made thier money and won't have to worry about what the new CBA looks like. It's the mid level guys who are taking it on the chin and will be the first to cross the lines next year as replacement players.

703854[/snapback]

Good information Tyler... thank you for clearing that up. I was under the impression that the current agreement was up next year (maybe that's what I heard last Summer or something). Nevertheless, I hope this kills the league. I really enjoy going to hockey games, but I do not want to contribute to this crap any more. Let it die. Some kind of alternative professional hockey league will eventually pop up again (or not, if nobody really cares).

Does that impact your...enjoyment of the league?

700562[/snapback]

Absolutely. I have always had a difficult time enjoying something that isn't happening. Unless of course I'm enjoying the fact that it isn't happening.

......and we're back!!!! What a rollercoaster ride this has been. Get the asterisk ready boys because there's gonna be a Stanley Cup champ for 2005!!

704178[/snapback]

Ri-Flippin-diculous! :D They would be better off letting this season go and picking it back up next year. Who is going to care? How many games could they possibly play? This could turn out to be pretty amusing.

OK,Ok so now they are not getting it done!! The NHL once again proves why the XFL had better ratings!! These jokers are just digging the hole deeper in the court of public opinion. Bettman and Goodenow both need to resign today after this last debacle. This league is toast. They need to shut down for at least this season if not longer. Idiots are running things right now and they are running things off a cliff!!! I am ashamed to be a hockey fan today.

Hockey is for dentition-challenged Neanderthals and does not count as a sport.

Since hockey is not a sport, the National Hockey League is not a sports league and the poll is non-sequitur.

What an ignorant statement, Obviously you never laced up a pair of skates. :D

Fastest game in the world, how do you not enjoy blistering rubber projectiles at 100+ MPH,bone crushing hits, pin point passing & pass receiving..& don't forget the fisticuffs. Basketball should be so entertaining.. I don't see how the NBA survives & a great game like hockey is gettin the beat down B) ...

The players may have wanted a bit to much of the pie ,but management was out to make a statement .Crush the NHLPA. Looks to me like they will succeed.

Fear not hockey faithfull, the game will survive and continue to grow....next year. :D

You are dead on correct about hockey being a great sport. By far the best live spectator event to attend. Of course living in Detroit I have been spoiled by the product on the home ice for years.However, as Kerry Collins said when the Giants released him "I love the sport,hate the business." Bettman needs to get away from this mess as most of the problems the league has right now are a direct result of his mismanaging things. This labor dispute has become bigger than he and Goodenow and despite thier repeated denials I feel it's a bit personal now between the two. Bettman acknowledges that this CBA has been a bad deal for the owners since 1999 and yet he and the players union didn't have any discussions about changing things until after the lockout. That's 5 years gone by with no preliminary meetings,base discussions on any issues at all and have led to this stalemate. It's become more about beating the other guy than getting a great sport back on the ice. These two need to step down or be replaced before anything productive will be accomplished.