[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One confused Hawks fan

Seahawks21

I find myself in a quandry about this whole Shaun Alexander thing. While I honestly believe that team chemistry is more important to winning than anything else, and that Shaun is a bit of a selfish player and he doesn't run all that hard very often......I am absolutely horrified of getting rid of the only player on our team that did anything this year. Are we going to count on our passing game (i.e. Koren Robinson) to make up the difference?? I don't know that the Hawks can win the whole thing with Alexander, but it still beats being potentially really bad without him.

There are a couple things in this article that might help you solidify an opinion on Alexander. :D

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/212404_thiel17.html

"Despite his impressive rushing totals, Alexander is not the best fit for Holmgren's West Coast offense that features backs who can block and catch passes. To offer just one comparison, in his last full season as Seahawks running back in 2000, Ricky Watters' rush/pass total of 1,855 yards was just 11 fewer than Alexander's total this year, but Watters had 35 fewer touches.

Alexander's reluctance to block meant that every time he came to the sideline on third down, the defense could count on a pass. So when talk comes up about Alexander's commitment to the team over himself, forget his stabbed-in-the-back rhetoric and consider what he didn't bring to the game plan."

I love how Alexander has been badmouthed by just about every Seahawks fan. I just don't get it. The guy is a TD machine. Oh, and his yardage isn't bad either.

2001: 1318 yards rushing 16 total TD (in 12 games)

2002: 1175 yards rushing 18 total TD

2003: 1435 yards rushing 17 total TD

2004: 1696 yards rushing 17 total TD

AND HE NEVER GETS HURT. I've watched a lot of Seahawk games, since I acquired Shaun in a dynasty league in 2002. I can see why some people might say he doesn't always run "hard". But I think that is b.s. For years I've heard how they want to replace him with Morris. Hah! That guy has had several opportunities, and never done much. If the Seahawks lose Alexander, they will SUCK. Guaranteed. He is their best player. He is their most reliable player. Good luck getting those stone-handed receivers to catch those missing TD's!

I love how Alexander has been badmouthed by just about every Seahawks fan.  I just don't get it.  The guy is a TD machine.  Oh, and his yardage isn't bad either.

2001: 1318 yards rushing  16 total TD (in 12 games)

2002: 1175 yards rushing  18 total TD

2003: 1435 yards rushing  17 total TD

2004: 1696 yards rushing  17 total TD

AND HE NEVER GETS HURT.  I've watched a lot of Seahawk games, since I acquired Shaun in a dynasty league in 2002.  I can see why some people might say he doesn't always run "hard".  But I think that is b.s.  For years I've heard how they want to replace him with Morris.  Hah!  That guy has had several opportunities, and never done much.  If the Seahawks lose Alexander, they will SUCK.  Guaranteed.  He is their best player.  He is their most reliable player.  Good luck getting those stone-handed receivers to catch those missing TD's!

704620[/snapback]

:D

Honestly, If the Hawks don't want him, trade him. There's quite a few teams out there that would swap a first rounder.

You have a quality RB, and an over-rated HC

Its not that he doesn't have talent. And he is definately the surest thing the Hawks could get next year. But you are talking about a guy who:

1) Explodes in primetime games. That means he doesn't give 100% at every game for his multi-million dollar salary. He complained about missing the rushing title by 1 yard and they didn't give him the goal line carry. He went down easily for no gain or a loss multiple times that day, and I don't know how many times that year.

2) Never gets hurt? See note above... the reason he has never been seriously hurt probably revolves around the fact that if the endzone isn't involved OR it is not primetime he is going to avoid getting hurt at all costs. Again a player that doesn't give 100% on all plays.

3) Thinks he doesn't have to practice hard because the Lord provides for him. Don't want to slam religon, but people that use their Lord as an excuse to be lazy need to re-explore their spirituallity.

You have a quality RB, and an over-rated HC

704628[/snapback]

And there is the crux of the situation. It boggles the mind what Alexander would do if Homegrins was a RB oriented coach instead of the pass happy idiot he is.

For the guy that says everyone is down on Alexander.... I own Alexander in my Dynasty too... and attempt to draft him in every re-draft league I am in. I'm not down on him at all. However..... one must link/display the information coming out of Seattle be it good, bad, or slanted one way or the other. Doesn't necessarily mean I agree or disagree with what is being said, just reporting the news so everyone here gets the whole picture.

If the Seahawks lose Alexander, they will SUCK.  Guaranteed.  He is their best player.  He is their most reliable player. 

704620[/snapback]

Also, they just signed their best player to a 7 year contract. You know the guy that not only helps make Alexander what he is, but also didn't allow a sack last year.

Edited by NoSupe4You

I wasn't necessarily coming down on you skylive, I was just talking about the general feeling I get from most Seahawk fans. You don't think Shaun tries hard? The numbers he puts up say otherwise. Every RB has something you wish he wouldn't do, or could do better. Edge for example has a tendancy to "dance" to much. JUST HIT THE DARN HOLE! GET AS MUCH YARDAGE AS YOU CAN! I'll scream that sometimes, but it doesn't mean I want to see him gone. Especially if he was the only consistently good player the Colts had. The Seahawks will miss him if they don't re-sign him. As a Alexander owner, I actually hope he goes somewhere else. Holmgren has never used him right. He'd be scary if he was given the ball more consistently, especially when the Seahawks have the lead. It'll be interesting to see how the 'Hawks do with no running threat, and Holmgren still trying to fling the ball all over the field. With Hass and those WR's, it could get ugly. . .

Also, they just signed their best player to a 7 year contract.  You know the guy that not only helps make Alexander what he is, but also didn't allow a sack last year.

704653[/snapback]

He may very well be their best player, but Walter didn't score 17 TD's last year. (But he did clear the way on most :D )

With Hass and those WR's, it could get ugly. . .

704655[/snapback]

Boy howdy ain't that a fact... REAL UGLY.

My only problem with Alexander has always been the same problem since he got the starting gig.... he appears to go down real easy a fair portion of the time. Hit him.. he's done. Probably isn't true most of the time... but sure seems like it.

And while he gets the stats.... he's no Payton, Brown, Emmitt, or any other hard charging-hard running RB.

And I agree supe... he really needs to go back and read the part about: "The Lord helps those that help themselves. "

he appears to go down real easy a fair portion of the time. Hit him.. he's done. Probably isn't true most of the time... but sure seems like it.

help themselves. "

704665[/snapback]

Is definately the case. Like I said before... unless its primetime or the endzone is a possibility, he has Chris Warren disease.

When it comes to the Alexander issue, the title of this thread says it all:

"One confused Hawks fan, What to do?"

In a vaccum, this is an excellent point

You don't think Shaun tries hard?  The numbers he puts up say otherwise.  Every RB has something you wish he wouldn't do, or could do better.  Edge for example has a tendancy to "dance" to much.  JUST HIT THE DARN HOLE!  GET AS MUCH YARDAGE AS YOU CAN!  I'll scream that sometimes, but it doesn't mean I want to see him gone. 

704655[/snapback]

but, I think this helps to explain the difference between the relationship of Colt fan and Edge vs that of Seahawk fan and Alexander...

Edge is a pretty darn good fit on a pretty darn good team. As for Shaun and the Hawks, the only thing harder than being a fan of a bad team is being a fan of a team that appears to be grossly underachieving. When this happens, the fans begin to point fingers.

The following points make him the obvious target:

Alexander's reluctance to block meant that every time he came to the sideline on third down, the defense could count on a pass.

704558[/snapback]

He complained about missing the rushing title by 1 yard and they didn't give him the goal line carry. 

704644[/snapback]

I think Alexander is an outstanding back and don't see major holes in his game but I am not a Seahawks fan and probably a bit more objective due to my lack of passion for the situation.

I find myself in a quandry about this whole Shaun Alexander thing.  While I honestly believe that team chemistry is more important to winning than anything else,......

704397[/snapback]

I disagree, I think team chemistry is fairly overrated......

Kobe and Shaq

Jose Canseco

Didn't Michael Jordan punch Steve Kerr while teamates?

I think Alexander is an outstanding back and don't see major holes in his game but I am not a Seahawks fan and probably a bit more objective due to my lack of passion for the situation.

704772[/snapback]

I am a hawks fan and Sean is not a good blocker nor a very good receiver out of the backfield. 2 fairly big holes in the west coast offense for a RB. That being said, I'd like to see him stay unless they make a decent trade for a defensive impact player and get a quality RB to replace him. I think that is fairly unlikely.

I disagree, I think team chemistry is fairly overrated......

Kobe and Shaq

Jose Canseco

Didn't Michael Jordan punch Steve Kerr while teamates?

705228[/snapback]

I apologize. I don't think chemistry was exactly what I was looking to say. This team, more than anything, needs an attitude adjustment. That's why I'm kinda disappointed that Holmgren is still here. Maybe if you brought in a young kid with a little more of a fiery demeanor it would pump things up around here, bring up the morale. I think these types of things can have very positive effects on a team, possibly even more so than the 1500-15 seasons Shaun posts regularly. As you can probably tell, I tend to lean to the direction of letting Shaun go, probably by Franchising him and trading him if possible. However, I can't get it out of the back of my mind that it could potentially lead to the destruction of this offense. How ugly is it gonna be if we can't run the ball and Hass is flying around trying to make plays with no help like usual. Then again Shaun's attitude may be a bigger part of the cancer holding the Seahawks back than people realize.

I understand your concerns Seahawk, but getting rid of Shaun for the sake of getting rid of a potential cancer on the team isn't enough reason on it's own.

I really don't think he is that bad of a guy....if you don't win the superbowl, then the season is a bust. Just getting rid of him, for the pure sake of it, will not likely make the Hawks closer to the ultimate prize.

And quit being so hard on Holmgren, he made some mistakes but he can't catch the ball for the receivers.

Ahhh...if you are an all around Seattle fan like me, you've been suffering for years...the town is cursed as far as sports goes.

As a lifetime Hawks fan, I've got a few takes on the situation. The whole scenario should work out with Shaun staying in Seattle. The big key was getting Walter signed long term. Along with Hutch and Pork Chop (improving), the line should be stable for Alexander which bodes well for future success.

Hasselbeck wants to play in Seattle, and isn't even considering negotiating with other teams from the vibe he's put out. The Hawks are being pretty quiet about the whole FA situation right now, which leads me to believe that they are working pretty hard on Matt's deal as we speak.

My gut feeling is Hasselbeck re-signs before the FA run begins, Alexander gets tagged, and gets very surprised when other teams don't offer the farm to take him away. I don't think he wants to leave Seattle, he just enjoys being courted by the other teams.

As for the rest, re-sign Lucas (a must IMO), cut ties with Rice and Robinson, and find a way to get your hands on Derrick Mason. Tennessee can't afford to keep him and he would/could be the final offensive piece of the puzzle. He catches EVERYTHING thrown his way, he plays hurt, and is a solid guy.

Given the number of Hawk's homers who complain about how easilly he goes down, doesnt block and isnt a good reciever (patterns, hands, alligator arms?) I have to think there is something to the monicker he wears. Basically, Seattle homers say, at least to me, he is over rated, not as good as his numbers say he is. Not sure I buy that, but if that is the case, there are a good number of RB's out there, through the draft and FA market, that can replace him. I don't see the Seattle ground game disappearing without him, as long as they don't rely on Morris to fill his shoes. Even if they did, the ground game would not go away.

For the folks who talk about how easilly Alexander goes down, how is it he puts up such numbers? He never struck me as a shifty runner who is hard to hit, so is it the O line that gets him those numbers, the play calling, what? He is turning into an enigma. I for one, am becoming wary of him no matter what team he lands on.

As a Broncos fan, I enjoy seeing the Seahawks crumble year after year. I still have those old AFC West roots----plus I remember the bad old days when they used to kick the *** out of Denver in that unholy cement hell they called the Kingdome.

However, I can understand the frustration of the fans. Alexander is not the problem. The receivers are the problem. Cut those guys immediately, bring in Mason and draft a couple young guys. I would be very surprised to see them start next season with Robinson, Jackson and Ingram.

I am a hawks fan and Sean is not a good blocker nor a very good receiver out of the backfield.  2 fairly big holes in the west coast offense for a RB.  That being said, I'd like to see him stay unless they make a decent trade for a defensive impact player and get a quality RB to replace him.  I think that is fairly unlikely.

705230[/snapback]

Although I believe many teams are drooling over the prospect of Alexander being available, I almost bought into your "2 fairly big holes" argument. However, the reason I say almost is because of how you followed it up. You'd like to see him stay. If that is indeed the case, then those "2 fairly big holes" must not seem too big.