[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maurice Clarett- Thoughts?

The Vatican Hitsquad

Any thoughts out there on Maurice Clarett? After sitting for so long, and word from last year how out of shape he showed up in at those combines, I can't see this guy going higher than the 4th rd and then most likely washing out of the leaague as a footnote.

Any word about how he is lookign this year so far?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard much about him lately. Amazing how some bad advice and an unfavorable ruling from the NCAA looks like will cost him a ton of money and possibly an entire career.

I haven't heard much about him lately. Amazing how some bad advice and an unfavorable ruling from the NCAA looks like will cost him a ton of money and possibly an entire career.

706463[/snapback]

I think it's a bit more than bad advice and an unfavorable ruling. His attitude has constantly been questioned, he was involved in taking money while at Ohio state and he was arrested for a false report of a robbery.

I can't see this guy going higher than the 4th rd and then most likely washing out of the leaague as a footnote.

706428[/snapback]

That sounds about right to me!

I'm not sure I agree with the concensus here. If he can show something at the combine, and go in the 4th or 5th round, he might be a steal. M Moore just proved once again, that size isnt the be all end all. He could be a very valuable third down-kick returner type. He has tools, albeit not in the noggin, it would seem, but......

I'm not sure I agree with the concensus here. If he can show something at the combine, and go in the 4th or 5th round, he might be a steal. M Moore just proved once again, that size isnt the be all end all.  He could be a very valuable third down-kick returner type. He has tools, albeit not in the noggin, it would seem, but......

706880[/snapback]

Get him out of the "Turn to the posse and predators for advice (ala Mike Tyson)" failure spiral, get him some solid adult guidance, some ongoing personal discipline, and and he might have an outside chance at contributing at the NFL level ... but the odds against of any of those three things happening are astronomical.

I'm not sure I agree with the concensus here. If he can show something at the combine, and go in the 4th or 5th round, he might be a steal. M Moore just proved once again, that size isnt the be all end all.  He could be a very valuable third down-kick returner type. He has tools, albeit not in the noggin, it would seem, but......

706880[/snapback]

From what I remember, Moore's concerns were more about speed (4.5-4.6 40) than size.

Also, from what I remember (which has been awhile since that knucklehead actually played), Clarett was much more of a two down back, a between the tackles type. I think he's a bit of a bruiser, so I wouldn't expect him on 3rd/kicks...then again, we've got Najeh Poopenport returning kicks, so what the hell do I know. :D

when he was a freshman weren't people talking about him being one of the top picks in the draft?

706991[/snapback]

Yup. If he has a great workout at the combine, I'm sure some teams will overlook his character issues. By the sounds of it, he thinks he should be a first rounder on name alone. We'll see how that works out for him.

Yup.  If he has a great workout at the combine, I'm sure some teams will overlook his character issues.  By the sounds of it, he thinks he should be a first rounder on name alone.  We'll see how that works out for him.

707392[/snapback]

Not going to happen. Every year a player slips because of questionable character. (See Randy Moss.) He might go higher than the 4th round, but no way is he a 1st round pick.

The number I heard on him are about 6'0" and about 230 or so lbs. Definitely a two down back.

Not going to happen.  Every year a player slips because of questionable character.  (See Randy Moss.)  He might go higher than the 4th round, but no way is he a 1st round pick.

The number I heard on him are about 6'0" and about 230 or so lbs.  Definitely a two down back.

707478[/snapback]

ESPN had a piece on the kid last night revolving around the combine preparation.

Most of the coaches and scouts interviewed believe he will selected on day 1 with more upside than downside from what they intimated. They did indicate his work-outs at the combine will be the final determinant.

Apparently, he has dropped 30 pounds, been lifting heavy things like mad, and has really dedicated himself to the combine.

If he runs anything at or below 4.5, I bet someone grabs him on day 1.

ESPN had a piece on the kid last night revolving around the combine preparation.

Most of the coaches and scouts interviewed believe he will selected on day 1 with more upside than downside from what they intimated.  They did indicate his work-outs at the combine will be the final determinant.

Apparently, he has dropped 30 pounds, been lifting heavy things like mad, and has really dedicated himself to the combine. 

If he runs anything at or below 4.5, I bet someone grabs him on day 1.

707484[/snapback]

I think he goes on the first day, just not the first round. Too many question marks around this kid. Might be worth a 3rd round gamble though.

If he has a good combine, no later then late 2nd round. Character issues will not play that big of a factor (for a lot of the teams) if he impresses.

If he doesn't, then he may get a 5th or 6th round look, someone is always willing to gamble in the late rounds.

I scanned down this entire thread and am somewhat surprised I didn't see the name "Ron Dayne" mentioned here.  Clarett is simply Dayne with a bit more athleticism (not saying much) and juke-ability (is that a word?).  I'll pass.

708021[/snapback]

Actually, I think the name Lawrence Phillips is more appropriate. He'll be out of the league in 3 years, do a stint in the CFL for a couple of years and then he'll be off to San Quentin doing 7 to 10 for armed robbery or drug trafficing.

Remember, he had HORRIBLE combnies last year. And he did only have that 1 good year and has sat since. He may have been a prospect at one time, but really now it's really just been hype generated by himself and the news stories trackign his problems and issues.

That said, I'm sure some team will take a chance on him... I just cant see it happening before the 4th rd.

I scanned down this entire thread and am somewhat surprised I didn't see the name "Ron Dayne" mentioned here.  Clarett is simply Dayne with a bit more athleticism (not saying much) and juke-ability (is that a word?).  I'll pass.

708021[/snapback]

Actually, I think the name Lawrence Phillips is more appropriate.  He'll be out of the league in 3 years, do a stint in the CFL for a couple of years and then he'll be off to San Quentin doing 7 to 10 for armed robbery or drug trafficing.

708124[/snapback]

Sure I'll give you that, in the off-field and general attitude sense. I was comparing him to Dayne in the pure football sense. Phillips was actually pretty studly, football-wise. Studlier than Clarett, for sure.

Edit: If Clarett had his own graemlin, it would be :D

Edited by darin3