[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maurice Clarett- Thoughts?

The Vatican Hitsquad

Sure I'll give you that, in the off-field and general attitude sense.  I was comparing him to Dayne in the pure football sense.  Phillips was actually pretty studly, football-wise.  Studlier than Clarett, for sure.

Edit:  If Clarett had his own graemlin, it would be :D

708794[/snapback]

It's amazing how much traction this guy has gotten off that 1 year. How can a player even have a "game" or "style" when he's really only played such a short time so long ago...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how much traction this guy has gotten off that 1 year. How can a player even have a "game" or "style" when he's really only played such a short time so long ago...

708804[/snapback]

True, just going off what I remember seeing... he could be the next Emmitt Smith for all we know. What we DO know, however, is that he's a fool. :D

Recent buzz I hear is that IF Clarett wows 'em at the combine and IF somebody falls in love with him, he MIGHT sneak into the late 2nd. But I doubt it. Consider his resume:

- looked pretty good in his 1 year at OSU; however, he COULDN'T STAY HEALTHY in that year

- head case in just about every way - spoiled, immature, shows extremely poor judgement

- hasn't toted the rock in 2 years

Someone probably takes a flyer in the 3rd on name alone. Wouldn't be surprised to see him slip to the 2nd day at all, though. Other players have had limited college resumes and been drafted relatively high, and I'd lump Clarett in with Tony Hollings and Cecil Collins than with Robert Smith (or Michael Bennett for that matter).

Anybody else see the Raiders being all over this guy????

I'd be willing to bet my hard earned mula that 90% of the posters on this thread were at one point choking on his jockstrap. What you have to remember about this kid is that the year he had wasn't a fluke. By just about everyone's estimation, Clarett was bred to be a superstar at every level....and he hasn't done a darn thing on the field to change this. Freshman like him don't come around very often.

Luckily for me I live in Seattle and we get John Clayton on local radio almost daily. Today one of his biggest topics was how enamoured he was with Clarett. He said his face looks absolutely chiseled, and he seems to have become a more humbled individual as well.---everyone forgets that he was like 19 or 20 when most of this stuff was going on. He was just a kid. A lot of people mature a great deal between 21-25.

Okay, all of this being said, I gotta say that I do think he will be a starting back at some point in his career. I think he can be more than just a pretty good power guy. He can break some tackles and I remember him being a lot more explosive and shifty than people are giving him credit for.

ESPN had a piece on the kid last night revolving around the combine preparation.

Most of the coaches and scouts interviewed believe he will selected on day 1 with more upside than downside from what they intimated.  They did indicate his work-outs at the combine will be the final determinant.

Apparently, he has dropped 30 pounds, been lifting heavy things like mad, and has really dedicated himself to the combine. 

If he runs anything at or below 4.5, I bet someone grabs him on day 1.

707484[/snapback]

I was only half listening, but didn't ESPN post sound bites from Mike Mularkey, or somebody from the Bills? Anyway, they seemed to think he had a lot of potential, or at least that's what they were saying while interviewed. Clarett was contrite during his press conference, but he's proven to be a more than capable b-ser. He may sneak into the third round.

I'd be willing to bet my hard earned mula that 90% of the posters on this thread were at one point choking on his jockstrap.  What you have to remember about this kid is that the year he had wasn't a fluke.  By just about everyone's estimation, Clarett was bred to be a superstar at every level....and he hasn't done a darn thing on the field to change this.  Freshman like him don't come around very often.=

And Ryan Leaf was goign to be the greatest QB ever.

One year... as a freshman... 3 years ago.

Hasn't touched a Defensive player since.

4th rd at best. And I wouldn't doubt it if Al takes him.

Kiper was talking about him yesterday morning on the Mike and Mike show. He said his NFL sources were telling him that depending on how his workout goes he would be anywhere from a 4th round pick all the way to possibly undrafted.

For a guy that was touted so highly not too long ago I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him late in the draft.

He does have power, along with some very good speed, or he did when he played! I remember a game against Texas Tech where he ran away from one of their DB's. He did look very good in college, when he was healthy. The question is, can he stay healthy? Think about all of his troubles. They seem to be money-related. He gets a fat contract, has his own legal income, and he may just be alright. It is his durability that I question, not his talent or attitude.

This will shed some light on it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/colu...john&id=1999028

711512[/snapback]

Great story, good link. Thanks. I love CLayton, my fave NFL reporter.

He sounds like he has truly changed as a person, I give him credit for that. But I am basicly questioning his ability as well, 1 year as a freshman 3 years ago was a LOOooonng time ago.

Al Bundy was once a great QB in High School too.

I'd be willing to bet my hard earned mula that 90% of the posters on this thread were at one point choking on his jockstrap.  What you have to remember about this kid is that the year he had wasn't a fluke.  By just about everyone's estimation, Clarett was bred to be a superstar at every level....and he hasn't done a darn thing on the field to change this.  Freshman like him don't come around very often.

Luckily for me I live in Seattle and we get John Clayton on local radio almost daily.  Today one of his biggest topics was how enamoured he was with Clarett.  He said his face looks absolutely chiseled, and he seems to have become a more humbled individual as well.---everyone forgets that he was like 19 or 20 when most of this stuff was going on.  He was just a kid.  A lot of people mature a great deal between 21-25. 

Okay, all of this being said, I gotta say that I do think he will be a starting back at some point in his career.  I think he can be more than just a pretty good power guy.  He can break some tackles and I remember him being a lot more explosive and shifty than people are giving him credit for.

711075[/snapback]

Clayton says his face looks chiseled. That's great but, when did r/bs start carrying the ball in their mouth? If that were the case, he could be one of the greatest. :D

I think Clarrett has been well coached in the art of the interview since we last heard from him.  Nobody turns into a good guy overnight.

4.72 and 4.82    :bigshock:  That will hurt him.

713100[/snapback]

He might be able to get a head start on Lawrence Phillips and jump right to the CFL with those numbers.

Well he may have to wait for day two of the draft after running a 4.72 and a 4.82 in the 40 today. I think that's worse than last year...

713019[/snapback]

He might be able to get a head start on Lawrence Phillips and jump right to the CFL with those numbers.

713171[/snapback]

Yeah, earlier in this thread I predicted a fourth round slot for him, but now he's looking like a CFL prospect.

I listened to Clayton talking about Clarett's performance today. He said what was worse than the poor showing in 40 times was the fact that he GAVE UP on the workout. He didn't even finish once things started to go bad for him. Major immaturity.

The only thing Clarett has to practice now is, "You want fries with that?"

I listened to Clayton talking about Clarett's performance today. He said what was worse than the poor showing in 40 times was the fact that he GAVE UP on the workout. He didn't even finish once things started to go bad for him. Major immaturity.

The only thing Clarett has to practice now is, "You want fries with that?"

713212[/snapback]

:D that reminds me of that clip that floated around here during the holidays.... what was it called? Want fries, er sumpthin?

713212[/snapback]

Hilarious, just a few days after giving his "I've grown up" press conference. I can't wait to read Claytons follow up article.