[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bubba

Guest Sores

Packers throw the transition tag on Bubba Franks. Guarantees him 2.0M per year and gives the Pack right of first refusal should he get an offer from another team.

Still waiting to see what they do with D. Sharper and his exhorbitant 8.6M cap number.

*sorry if this has been previously posted. I looked but didn't see it.

Interesting.  2 million is a good price for Franks, IMO.  Surely Sharper will be cut with that number, won't he?

707109[/snapback]

You would think they would cut him....especially because he didn't play like a top 10 DB this year...or last for that matter...but because he is a great lockeroom guy, I think they would like to rework his deal (ie. give him a paycut...not just make him more cap friendly which would hurt later).

Packers throw the transition tag on Bubba Franks.  Guarantees him 2.0M per year and gives the Pack right of first refusal should he get an offer from another team. 

Still waiting to see what they do with D. Sharper and his exhorbitant 8.6M cap number. 

*sorry if this has been previously posted.  I looked but didn't see it.

707107[/snapback]

Hmmmm...hadn't heard this yet. I think that's a good choice for Bubba. I'd be surprised if a team offered him anything that the Pack couldn't match. Bubba's great in the West Coast (good sealing blocker, great in the red zone) but he's not the athletic, field-stretching TE that's all the rage these days. That being said, the Pack wouldn't have gotten an upgrade over him had he left. Good choice.

My guess is that Thompson will be able to rework Sharper's deal. I also guarantee we draft another safety this year...

You would think they would cut him....especially because he didn't play like a top 10 DB this year...or last for that matter...but because he is a great lockeroom guy, I think they would like to rework his deal (ie. give him a paycut...not just make him more cap friendly which would hurt later).

707133[/snapback]

I've also read that his skill set fits what Bates asks his safeties to do. Sharper has always been best at playing deep zone coverage. Bates likes to man-up with the corners and give them saftey help over the top. He does not like to bring his safties up in run support.

Bates does not like Roman and all indications are that he will be replaced. In that scenario they run into the problem of lacking experience at safety if they release Sharper as well. Thompson apparently is not a fan of making a lot of moves in FA, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

As far as Bubba goes, this appears to be a good move. While I don't consider Bubba an elite TE, he is a key piece to the running game and would be missed. We'll see if some other team values him enough to make an offer the Pack won't match.

I've also read that his skill set fits what Bates asks his safeties to do.  Sharper has always been best at playing deep zone coverage.  Bates likes to man-up with the corners and give them saftey help over the top.  He does not like to bring his safties up in run support.

Bates does not like Roman and all indications are that he will be replaced.  In that scenario they run into the problem of lacking experience at safety if they release Sharper as well.  Thompson apparently is not a fan of making a lot of moves in FA, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

As far as Bubba goes, this appears to be a good move.  While I don't consider Bubba an elite TE,  he is a key piece to the running game and would be missed.  We'll see if some other team values him enough to make an offer the Pack won't match.

707358[/snapback]

Interesting points about Sharper's skills for Bates. I would contend that Sharper was most effective when he was all over the field - blitzing, lining up at the line, making plays. That was, after all, Slowik's plan for Sharper going into the season - line him up all over the place to put him in a position to change the game. Didn't work, however, because our DBs ALWAYS needed help, especially Ahmad "Boxing Gloves' Carroll.

What you are describing is more of a rover, something that Sharper really hasn't done before. I have a good feeling about Bates, though, so I'm excited.

I'm not a Packer fan, but this guy is money.

I've never really seen him make any stupid penalities, he seems to be an above average blocker, but when it counts in the red zone, this guy has always been there coming up with a play.

$2 Million seems about right.