[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeShaun Foster to Start for Panthers

trrhyne

The Rock Hill Herald reports Deshaun Foster is expected to be the starting running back for the Panthers next season.

I wonder if Stephen Davis will be content being a back-up. I could see him going to the Raiders or Dolphins. The Panthers still have Nick Goings as well.

They have Goings, Hoover, and some young RB they drafted. I really don't see them drafting another RB. What they need are more linemen and WRs.(if Proehl retires)

707279[/snapback]

I agree, with Proehl possibly retiring and Moose possibly gone, WR could be a big hole. I like Foster and Goings as a 1-2 punch. They also need to free up cap space. I would give up Davis before I would Moose.

I wonder if Stephen Davis will be content being a back-up.  I could see him going to the Raiders or Dolphins. 

707238[/snapback]

From everything I've read, they're not even entirely sure that Stephen Davis can come back...his career might be over.

Davis is probably done, he's been pretty quiet in the local media. The Panthers will give DeShaun every opportunity to win the job in camp with Goings being the backup. Hoover was simply a stopgap, and the team wants him at FB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Panthers grab a RB in the 3rd, if a back such as Kay Jay Harris or Eric Shelton should fall.

Davis is probably done, he's been pretty quiet in the local media. The Panthers will give DeShaun every opportunity to win the  job in camp with Goings being the backup. Hoover was simply a stopgap, and the team wants him at FB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Panthers grab a RB in the 3rd, if a back such as Kay Jay Harris or Eric Shelton should fall.

707360[/snapback]

I could see them drafting a guy like TA McClendon from NC State. Looks like a young Davis to me.

I found that article at the Rock Hill Herald.com. Foster HAS NOT been named the starter, at least not in any official capacity ala Mike Martz designating Steven Jackson the starter. Here's the article:

Foster likely to start at RB

By Darin Gantt The Herald

(Published February 20? 2005)

CHARLOTTE -- In St. Louis they had to announce it, just to be clear. With the Carolina Panthers, injuries have rendered moot the need to declare their depth chart at running back for the coming season.

Rams coach Mike Martz did the inevitable last week, naming second-year bruiser Steven Jackson as his starter for 2005, reducing future Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk to a situational role.

The Panthers don't need to make such an announcement, since Stephen Davis probably won't be ready for the regular-season opener and DeShaun Foster will. Even without Davis' recovery from knee surgery, he probably wasn't going to get the nod this year.

When Davis was signed prior to the 2003 season and Foster was recovering from knee surgery, there was a clear if not well-stated plan from the organization. The hope was that Davis could carry the burden in '03 as Foster recovered slowly. Then the two could split carries more evenly in '04, probably something closer to a 60-40 split, with Davis out front. The hope for the coming season was that Foster would take over as the lead dog, with Davis still on hand.

The situation also resembles what Pittsburgh put together last season, with Duce Staley brought in to get the bulk of the carries and Jerome Bettis kept around for short-yardage and plenty of late-season work.

Injuries derailed the Panthers' plan, although it will likely end up as they anticipated anyway. Foster's on track to return after breaking his collarbone, and it will be July or August before the Panthers know for sure whether Davis will be well enough to play. Early signs are positive for the veteran back, although it could take longer for him to return to health.

Either way, when they open training camp, don't be surprised to see Foster out there with the starters, whether Davis is there or not.

Panthers are fine with Foster and Goings--guess everyone forgot that the Panthers have Hoover, Brandon Bennett, Joey Harris, Rod Smart,Nick Maddox and Jamal Robertson on the roster as RB's?????

Definitely need WR---Mason would be a great pick-up!! Then draft a an OL and LB or DB...if they get a vet it should be at WR as Colbert and another rookie would slow the offense down even more...Panthers are a player (WR and or LB) away from deep playoff potential!!! :D

I think the best move for the Panthers would be Foster. He can be a game breaker. Sad thing is he can't stay on the field. Same with Davis. as someone mentioned above i think the best bet is to start Foster and have Davis spell him.

The Panthers reminded me of my Hawkeyes at RB last year. Digging wayyyy down to get someone behind the QB.