Here's an interesting side note...

Jrick35

If you all remember the draft last year Dallas traded away their 1st Rd Pick last year to Buffalo, which they used to select Losman.

The Bills gave Dallas their 2nd Rd pick last year and this years 1st Rd Pick.

Dallas Picked Julius Jones with the 2nd Rd Pick they got last year. And they just signed Drew Bledsoe.

So here is what the final trade looks like on paper

Dallas gives Buffalo - Losman.

Buffalo gives Dallas - Bledsoe, Julius Jones and their 1st Rd Draft Pick this year.

Which Dallas idiot, Jones or Parcells, is responsible for this turn of events? :D

Edited by Jrick35

If you all remember the draft last year Dallas traded away their 1st Rd Pick last year to Buffalo, which they used to select Losman.

Dallas Picked Julius Jones with the 2nd Rd Pick they got last year. And they just signed Drew Bledsoe.

Buffalo gives Dallas - Bledsoe, Julius Jones and their 1st Rd Draft Pick this year.

Which Dallas idiot, Jones or Parcells, is responsible for this turn of events? :D

709927[/snapback]

Buffalo didn't give Bledsoe to anyone.

Buffalo cut him.

Buffalo gave Dallas - 2 first rd picks (22,20) - J Jones

and whoever they pick this year.

Dallas gave Buffalo - 22nd pick last year (Losman) - their 1st rounder

Bledsoe had nothing to do with the trade whatsoever.

Dallas just picked him up after he couldn't win with the Bills.

Buffalo cut him.

709984[/snapback]

I realize that Buffalo didn't give Bledsoe to Dallas as part of that trade.

And Dallas got Buffalo's 2nd Rd Pick last year and their 1st Rd pick this year, not 2 1st Rd Picks. Here's an excerpt about that from Dallas Cowboys.com:

...Losman was the player the Bills drafted after trading for the Cowboys first-round pick (22nd overall) last April. The Cowboys, in return received a second-round pick last year and took Julius Jones, along with Buffalo's first-round pick (20th overall) this year...

I was just pointing out that over the past 2 years Dallas has acquired from Buffalo, a Super Bowl QB, A Stud RB, and a 1st Rd Draft Pick this year and all that Buffalo has to show for it is a yet unproven J. P. Losman.

Lighten up.

Edited by Jrick35

Buffalo cut him.

709984[/snapback]

You totally missed the point of the post......

Yea, you definately missed the main point of the post....so many of you guys take these things literally on these boards, lighten up a bit Einstein. That was a good post by the way....Buffalo is starting to look like the old front office of the cleveland browns...

I realize that Buffalo didn't give Bledsoe to Dallas as part of that trade.

And Dallas got Buffalo's 2nd Rd Pick last year and their 1st Rd pick this year, not 2 1st Rd Picks. Here's an excerpt about that from Dallas Cowboys.com:

I was just pointing out that over the past 2 years Dallas has acquired from Buffalo, a Super Bowl QB, A Stud RB, and a 1st Rd Draft Pick this year and all that Buffalo has to show for it is a yet unproven J. P. Losman.

Lighten up.

710003[/snapback]

I thought you said "This is what the trade looks like on paper"

First name listed was Bledsoe.

I guess I was confused?

Anyways- point made.

709927[/snapback]

Wow. Very interesting when you put it that way.

The Tuna sucks. I need look no further than Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman. Testaverde and now Bledsoe. Given his close relationship with Coughlin I am beginning to think he is a spy working for the Giants. Julius Jones and Jason Witten are about the only two things I've liked since he got here and I'm still not sure Jones is better than Steven Jackson.

:hoppingmad:

709927[/snapback]

Yep, the trade didn't officially go down that way, but I see your line of thinking and it is great analysis. Dallas has done well -- in that JJones and Losman will be equally valuable to their respective teams (IF losman can step up) and Dallas got the extra pick and still scraped up Bledsoe. I hope it wasn't Parcels' idea, as I like him even less than Jerry ...

I wouldn't ever count Bledsoe as an addition.  He helps tilt things back slightly to the Bills with his presence on the Cowboys...........

710335[/snapback]

I disagree.

I think Bledsoe is a great fit for the Cowboys. Admittedly he is not the greatest QB in the game but in reality he never has been. Even in his Super Bowl year his rating was only in the 80's. This past year his rating was over 76, there is much less decline there than a lot of people are insinuating.

What Bledsoe does offer is the experience that Parcells was looking for in Testeverde in a much younger body.

Bledsoe still has skills and the Cowboys have the O-line to give him the time he needs to display them.

And the Cowboys have Julius Jones who looks to be a great RB and Witten at TE was just super last year.

They have Keyshawn who is the possession WR that every team covets.

It is my hope that the Cowboys will now address their needs at WR & Defense through both Free Agency and the draft. They need a speed WR to compliment Keyshawn and they need defensive secondary help to replace Woodson.

If they can fill these two main gaps then I can definitely see Bledsoe and the Cowboys making a return to the post season.

Here's an excerpt about that from Dallas Cowboys.com:

Lighten up.

710003[/snapback]

A SB QB, Bledsoe played in one and didn't play as well as the QB he faced. I remember before that game all we heard was how great Bledsoe was and how Favre would be lucky to be as good as Bledsoe some day. That day came and went, quickly.

A stud RB, I don't think J Jones is a stud RB yet, not saying he can't become one, but I think it's a tad premature to call him a stud.

Even if the Cowboys got the better end of the deal, I would rather be in Buffalo's position than the Cowboys right now.

Even if the Cowboys got the better end of the deal, I would rather be in Buffalo's position than the Cowboys right now.

710374[/snapback]

Yeah I agree.

Bledsoe had better RB's in Travis Henry and Willis Mcgahee. He had better WR's with Eric Moulds and Lee Evans. The Cowboys do have the better up and coming TE in Witten.

And the Bills have a much better defense. # 2 overall in yards given up and # 6 in points given up at just under 17 points a game.

Plus without Bledsoe the Bills offense won't be taking that unnecessary sack as much..........

I wouldn't ever count Bledsoe as an addition.  He helps tilt things back slightly to the Bills with his presence on the Cowboys...........

710335[/snapback]

I also am not a Bledsoe fan, as I hated him when he was with NE. However, I do find it somewhat amusing how quickly the media and fans change their opinions.

In Bledsoe's first year with Buffalo, the Bill's offense was virtuall unstoppable and high powered with Henry, Price, and Moulds. When you factor in their horrible offensive line, I find their offensive acheivements that year entirely amazing. With over 4000 yards passing and 26 TDs, he was a media darling in the middle of a fan love fest in 2002.

G GS Att Cmp CmpPct Yd YAtt Lg TD Int Rate Att Yd Avg TD

16 16 610 375 61.5 4359 7.1 73 24 15 86.0 27 67 2.5 2

In-fact, most pundits and Fantasy Football "experts" had Bledsoe rated fairly high the following year as well, despite the loss of Price.

Then, the Bills dump Price, get rid of their TE, hire 2 new coaches with new staffs, and 2 different offensive schemes. With 3 head coaches and offensive schemes in as many years, Bledsoe is being unfairly criticized. When you factor in the horrid pass blocking offensive line the Bills continue to employ, It always surprises me how players get overvalued and undervalued independent of the external environment or factors.

I agree with their decision to go with Lossman, but Bledsoe is being unfairly blamed for the Bills lack of success. Moulds is getting older, never was a speed demon, there is no TE, a swiss cheeze offensive line, a rookie #2 WR, and 3 different offensive schemes in as many years. Is anyone surprised their offense has struggled?

#7 ranked QB for PPG in 2002.

http://www.thehuddle.com/stats/2002/02-std-ppg-qb.php

Edited by gspot

A SB QB, Bledsoe played in one and didn't play as well as the QB he faced.  I remember before that game all we heard was how great Bledsoe was and how Favre would be lucky to be as good as Bledsoe some day.  That day came and went, quickly.

A stud RB, I don't think J Jones is a stud RB yet, not saying he can't become one, but I think it's a tad premature to call him a stud.

710374[/snapback]

Yes a Super Bowl QB, Bledsoe has played in one, which means he got to one, which makes him the 1st QB on the Cowboys Roster in 4 years to hold such a distinction. Knowing what it takes to get to a Super Bowl is an invaluable addition to a young team like the Cowboys.

Yes a Stud RB. In his 7 games back from injury last year Jones racked up 192 carries for 803 yds rushing and 7 TD's. And he did this on a team whose Offense struggled all year. He averaged over 27 carries a game for 114.72 yds per game and 1 TD per game. Extrapolated out over a 16 game season that amounts to 432 carries for 1835 yds and 16 TD's. Those are definitely studly numbers.

And the Cowboys still get an additional 1st Rd Pick this year and all Buffalo has to show for it is, as I said before, an as yet unproven J. P. Losman.

All I'm saying is that maybe, just maybe, Jones & Parcells aren't as stupid as a lot of people are saying they are.

I mean, afterall, the two of them can account for 6 Super Bowl Appearances and 5 Super Bowl wins in a 10 year span.

And don't forget Parcells won his 2nd Super Bowl with the Giants with none other than Jeff Hostetler at QB and Otis Anderson at RB.

I also am not a Bledsoe fan, as I hated him when he was with NE.  However, I do find it somewhat amusing how quickly the media and fans change their opinions.

710386[/snapback]

Nope, no fan love fest here. I haven't like him since he was in NE and it says something when you get traded after a Super Bowl victory to a team in your division.

I've never been a big believer in the have an experienced QB groom the rookie QB philosophy. I think if the QB is talented enough the coach should be direction enough they'll work out any hiccups without wasting a season on the old QB retread.

I bet the Bills management are drinking up to Bledsoes release and sending Good Luck cards to the Cowboys.............

I'm still not sure Jones is better than Steven Jackson.

710146[/snapback]

Good post JRick.

I don't think Parcells said he thought Jones was better than Jackson, he just thought that they were comparable. It will be a couple of years before we can truly judge that, but from what we saw from each last year, I'd say that he was right (and remember EVERYBODY else was saying Jackson was by far the best RB in the draft).

When you consider that Dallas had to get a RB and probably would have taken Jackson or Jones at 1.22 had the deal w/ Buffalo not went down, but instead ended up with Jones at 2.11 (43 overall) AND a #1 pick in this year's draft, it's hard to find fault with the move. :D

Edited by Skrappy1

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/10969814.htm?1c

Bledsoe's career

222 TD's and 181 INT's in 172 games

The Buffalo years

10,151 yards, 55 TD's and 43 INT's in 3 years

This is the best part

141 sacks in 3 years

This is your busdriver?............ :D

Yeah I agree.

Bledsoe had better RB's in Travis Henry and Willis Mcgahee.  He had better WR's with Eric Moulds and Lee Evans.  The Cowboys do have the better up and coming TE in Witten. 

And the Bills have a much better defense.  # 2 overall in yards given up and # 6 in points given up at just under 17 points a game.

Plus without Bledsoe the Bills offense won't be taking that unnecessary sack as much..........

710385[/snapback]

I think the whole key to whether Bledsoe is better with the Boys than the Bills is the O-Line. Bledsoe will be fine given the time to throw. That goes for any QB in the league not just him but, I think Dallas will make him look like a better QB. Forget needing a great corps of W/Rs or a great R/B. Let's just say they're ok, that'll be enough if the line plays well. I'm not saying he'll be great but, he'll get the job done. Alot of good QB's made a living just getting the job done.

Edited by jgcoach

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/10969814.htm?1c

Bledsoe's career

222 TD's and 181 INT's in 172 games

The Buffalo years

10,151 yards, 55 TD's and 43 INT's in 3 years

This is the best part

141 sacks in 3 years

This is your busdriver?............ :D

711055[/snapback]

If by "busdriver" you mean someone who averaged nearly 3400 yds passing and just this side of 20 TD's per year over the last 3 seasons while playing for a team with a poor pass blocking O-line, then yeah, he's our busdriver.

I have never said that Bledsoe is the greatest QB ever but this is a guy with Super Bowl Experience and nearly 40,000 yds passing and he just turned 33, which for QB's is not too old.

How many other QB's have had 40,000 yds passing by their 33rd birthday?

Plus he only played 2 games one year so had he not gotten hurt he would have had over 43,000 yds by now.

And for those saying he has declined let's remember that he has gotten more than 25% of those yds in his last 3 seasons.

Yes he is our busdriver and yes I like the prospect of his time with the Cowboys.

Well if Cowboy fans are happy then that's all that matters. But if you notice you only talk about how many yards he's thrown for. Sure he's thrown for a lot of yards but he's been around for a long time (12 years) he should have a lot of yards.

Also he had a great first half when he first joined the Bills but his last 40 games have been pure garbage.

2002 1859 yards, 8 TD's, 10 INT's, 24 sacks

2003 2860 yards, 11 TD's, 12 INT's, 49 sacks

2004 2932 yards, 20 TD's, 16 INT's, 37 sacks

So if you go by his last 40 games on average you will get 191 yards passing, maybe 1 TD a game and maybe 1 INT a game to go along with 3 sacks per game.

What prospects?............. :D

Well if Cowboy fans are happy then that's all that matters.  But if you notice you only talk about how many yards he's thrown for.   Sure he's thrown for a lot of yards but he's been around for a long time (12 years) he should have a lot of yards. 

Also he had a great first half when he first joined the Bills but his last 40 games have been pure garbage.

2002 1859 yards,  8 TD's,  10 INT's, 24 sacks

2003 2860 yards,  11 TD's, 12 INT's, 49 sacks

2004 2932 yards,  20 TD's, 16 INT's, 37 sacks

So if you go by his last 40 games on average you will get 191 yards passing, maybe 1 TD a game and maybe 1 INT a game to go along with 3 sacks per game.

What prospects?............. :D

712773[/snapback]

If you have a problem with Cowboys fans being happy then why did you click into a thread that was obviously started by a Cowboy fan?

But since you did, and since you are obviously the leading expert on Drew Bledsoe's inabilities, I guess I will do exactly what I shouldn't and defend my opinion of the Cowboys acquiring Drew Bledsoe.

What I would like you to do 1st is draw up a list of QB's that had nearly 40,000 yds passing by their 33rd Birthday. Wait let me help, there have only been 9 QB's to ever get to 40,000 yds in their career. You can do the research on the Birthdays but rest assured it is a very short list so don't minimize his yardage, it's impressive. He's 10th on the all time list and he's only 33.

If you want to evaluate his time in Buffalo why would you look at just his last 40 games, didn't he actually play the 1st 8 games of 2002? When looking at Drew Bledsoe, or any other player for that matter, it would be easy to cut out a portion of their career to prove them bad or good. Or to prove that they are improving or getting worse.

And yes you are correct. If you go by his last 40 Games Bledsoe is averaging exactly what you said.

However, if you go ahead and give him credit for the 1st 8 Games of 2002 then those averages all go up.

And if you go ahead and look at his entire career then his averages look like this,

57% Completion Rate

3317 yds per season

18 TDs per year

15 INT's per year

37 plays over 20 yds per year

7 plays over 40 yds per year

76.7 Career Passer rating

And I figured these averages on all 12 years of his career even the 2001 Season when he only threw 66 passes all year. So if I had figured them on the 11 Seasons that he actually played at least 12 games then they would have all been higher as well.

So, as I said before, Bledsoe will never go down as the greatest QB to ever play but he is a very good QB.

He has the tools to play at a high level and I feel that the Cowboys are going to get a hold of the right young talent to surround him with to take advantage of those tools and they can do it this year.

They have a great Coach, a very good o-line, a great young RB and a great young TE. They have the room under the salary cap to fill a couple of holes through free agency and they have 2, 1st rd draft picks this year to fill a couple of more holes. And now they have an experienced QB that can give them 4-5 good years to find and develop a good young QB.

So yeah, I like the prospects of what Drew Bledsoe can do for the Cowboys.

Of course only time can prove me to be right or wrong.

Edited by Jrick35