[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Bay and Moss

Guest Sores

Former Green Bay Packers General Manager Ron Wolf admitted his organization did not draft Moss because of character concerns. In hindsight, Wolf said he could "live with that baggage."

"If I had the benefit of a second guess or whatever you call it," Wolf said, "I should have taken that guy.

"This is one player who in my time in Green Bay turned the division around and turned the game around. ... All that trouble [the Packers] had with the Cowboys where we could never beat them in Dallas [in the 1990s], Moss was as big a thorn in the side of the Packers."

Instead we draft Vonnie Holliday!

:D:D

Instead we draft Vonnie Holliday!

:D  :D

710428[/snapback]

But isn't Holliday the best player the Chiefs have on defense?

Didn't the Chiefs just release the same Vonnie Holliday?  Hindsight......

710467[/snapback]

Oh yeah...THAT Vonnie Holliday. B)

I still remember that draft....sitting there watching Moss fall into the Packers lap (after they had traded up)...thinking they finally were going to draft a weapon for Brett....then watching as they unbelieveably went for Holliday. Perhaps second only to drafting Rich Campbell with a top 10 pick and passing on Joe Montana (tie) in terms of Packer draft day blunders.

Part of the falling of Moss stemmed from Lawrence Phillips coming out in '96 and showing that yes, baggage and a bad rep can mean a costly dud in the draft. Moss entered the picture too close to Phillips crash and burn and he paid a price for that. The league was very sensitive about "problem players" at that time.

I remember sitting there wondering how much further he would drop. Since the Colts had the first pick in the second round, I was holding to the slim hope that Moss would somehow fall out of the first round. Manning and Moss in the same draft, how sweet could that have been! Instead, the Vikings took Moss, and the Colts drafted Jerome Pathon. :doah:

Edited by CaptainHook

Part of the falling of Moss stemmed from Lawrence Phillips coming out in '96 and showing that yes, baggage and a bad rep can mean a costly dud in the draft. Moss entered the picture too close to Phillips crash and burn and he paid a price for that. The league was very sensitive about "problem players" at that time.

710623[/snapback]

Very true about Phillips DMD.

Man, I never really thought about it before, but Favre's arm + Randy Moss's speed would have been fun to watch (not to slight Culpepper who also has a cannon for an arm).

.then watching as they unbelieveably went for Holliday.  Perhaps second only to drafting Rich Campbell with a top 10 pick and passing on Joe Montana (tie) in terms of Packer draft day blunders.

710530[/snapback]

Whoa, whoa whoa - let's not get ahead of ourselves.

For one, Holiday wasn't a stud, but he was a d*mn solid player who started every game he played with GB. That's pretty good value from a #20 pick from where I'm sitting.

And passing on Montana was something EVERY team did for two rounds, and probably would have for another several. Bill Walsh has said that the only guy who he believes when they say "we were about to draft Montana" is Bart Starr - and Starr says that GB had Montana pegged for the 5th round. F'in A, Walsh was pissed off when SF lost out on Steve Fuller and got "stuck" with Montana.

Rich Campbell, yeah, that was a bad one. Of course, from about 78-91 GB seemed to have far more bad draft picks than good.

I still remember that draft....sitting there watching Moss fall into the Packers lap (after they had traded up)...thinking they finally were going to draft a weapon for Brett....then watching as they unbelieveably went for Holliday.  Perhaps second only to drafting Rich Campbell with a top 10 pick and passing on Joe Montana (tie) in terms of Packer draft day blunders.

710530[/snapback]

Hell, it could be worse. You could have been the Titans and drafted Kevin Dyson over Randy Moss :D . Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Hell, it could be worse. You could have been the Titans and drafted Kevin Dyson over Randy Moss  :D    . Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

711177[/snapback]

Yeah -- and Moss would have quit and been on his way to the locker room rather than on the field and on his way to the endzone as Dyson was during "the Music City Miracle" ... that would have been MUCH better for the Titans ... their greatest play in their history and their temperamental star would have been in the sulky quitter line rather than zipping across the goal line for the win ... :D

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

Yeah -- and Moss would have quit and been on his way to the locker room rather than on the field and on his way to the endzone as Dyson was during "the Music City Miracle" ... that would have been MUCH better for the Titans ... their greatest play in their history and their temperamental star would have been in the sulky quitter line rather than zipping across the goal line for the win ...  :D

711184[/snapback]

I doubt that very much.

For one, Holiday wasn't a stud, but he was a d*mn solid player who started every game he played with GB. That's pretty good value from a #20 pick from where I'm sitting.

And passing on Montana was something EVERY team did for two rounds, and probably would have for another several. Bill Walsh has said that the only guy who he believes when they say "we were about to draft Montana" is Bart Starr - and Starr says that GB had Montana pegged for the 5th round. F'in A, Walsh was pissed off when SF lost out on Steve Fuller and got "stuck" with Montana.

Rich Campbell, yeah, that was a bad one. Of course, from about 78-91 GB seemed to have far more bad draft picks than good.

711039[/snapback]

Chavez....I respect you as a Packer fan...but you can't tell me that you think Holliday was a good trade-up value when Moss was still on the board.

Also, the Packers scouts were pushing for Montana from the first round. Bart Starr (Gregg?) didn't like him so the Packers passed.....FOOLS!

Quit your crying. The Dolphins passed on Moss and took John Avery instead.

Who?

Exactly.

:D

711169[/snapback]

No not quite. Avery was drafted 29th. Then a couple of years later, traded to Denver for Nash who was the 30th pick in the 1st round of the same draft. They both did absolutely nothing.

I doubt that very much.

711187[/snapback]

Isn't that exactly the stunt Moss pulled this year? Quitting and heading to the lockerroom with time on the clock and an onside kick coming? What if Dyson had said "it would take a miracle" and quit and headed to the locker room right before the Music City Miracle????? No win for Tenn ...

But no, Dyson stayed and played ...

Moss went to the locker room and Minny didn't get the ball to get a chance to win.

Dang. Doubt it all you want -- it happened.

711039[/snapback]

Wow a Rich Campbell sighting in the huddle!

Isn't that exactly the stunt Moss pulled this year?  Quitting and heading to the lockerroom with time on the clock and an onside kick coming?  What if Dyson had said "it would take a miracle" and quit and headed to the locker room right before the Music City Miracle?????  No win for Tenn ...

But no, Dyson stayed and played ...

Moss went to the locker room and Minny didn't get the ball to get a chance to win.

Dang.  Doubt it all you want -- it happened.

711435[/snapback]

If the Titans had Moss on what was a very good team already they would have been unstopable. My feelings are that if Tenn had Moss in that game it wouldn't have been that close. Moss, with all his baggage, is still a hundred times better than Dyson, who I'm not sure is even in the league anymore. I think it's funny that since he quit last year, you automatically think he would have done it in what would be the biggest game of his life.

If the Titans had  Moss on what was a very good team already they would have been unstopable. My feelings are that if Tenn had Moss in that game it wouldn't have been that close. Moss, with all his baggage, is still a hundred times better than Dyson, who I'm not sure is even in the league anymore. I think it's funny that since he quit last year, you automatically think he would have done it in what would be the biggest game of his life.

711590[/snapback]

Anyone remember when Buddy Ryan did this with the Cardinals a number of years ago. I think it was on Monday night, or maybe Sunday, but there he goes off the field only to realize, "oh there's one more play left", "I was hoping the pain was over"!!!