Don't buy your new Moss jersey yet?

timmyk93

WHAT NEXT FOR FOWLER?

Given that the Vikes appear to be getting the raw end of the Reverse Herschel, there's some thought that, in the end, the now-widely reported deal won't get done. Putting the whole thing in perspective, those concerns might have some merit.

After all, we first caught wind of the possible trade literally minutes after reading prospective owner Reggie Fowler's denial of any intention to move Moss. Although in hindsight the misstatement might make sense in light of the shifting sands of Fowler's bio, we doubt that Fowler would overtly lie to the locals within a week after making the down payment on the franchise.

This causes us to wonder what might be happening right now behind the scenes. Might Fowler try to kill the trade by, for instance, threatening to walk away from the transaction? Or might Fowler, facing a financial colonoscopy without anesthesia, feign outrage and use the trade as a pretext for stepping aside and saving face.

Frankly, it wouldn't shock us to learn that Fowler knew of the potential deal when he said he wouldn't trade Moss, in order to give himself a relatively graceful exit strategy if it looks like he won't get the league's blessing. Either way, we've got a funny feeling about this, and the fact that Fowler has yet to be heard from makes it seem even more possible that the doo-doo could be hitting the fan.

Makes perfect sense to me if Fowler wants to get rid of Moss that he allows McCombs to do it and look like the bad guy. Then when this trade inevitably blows up on the Vikes, he can just say....we'll the other guy did the deal. I wanted to keep Moss. LoL

Alternatively, McCombs could actually be pulling to strings on this all along knowing that Fowler will not end up as owner of the Vikes.

But there's no way that Fowler both ends up owning the team in a month AND genuinely wanted to keep Moss.

Buying the Vikes without Moss would be like buying a Ferrari without premium wheels. Sure you still have a Ferrari and you can of course get buy with the less fancy wheels....but why would you want to if you had the choice?

I'm just curious. Is it typical for trades to be announced like this before the trading period begins.  It just seems kind of odd.

710607[/snapback]

Last year the Portis/Bailey trade was leaked well before the trading period.

Yesterday Captain Hook and I both questioned whether Moss could veto the trade. I keep thinking this trade is so favorable to one party (the Raiders) that somebody in the Minnesota organization will wake up and eventually kill this trade. :D

Alternatively, McCombs could actually be pulling to strings on this all along knowing that Fowler will not end up as owner of the Vikes. 

710570[/snapback]

Ding ding ding, I think we have a winner. I think both McCombs and Fowler know the Vikings sale isn't going through at that price. Fowler is going to fail to withstand the NFL Owners Committee scrutiny, IMO.

Steal Of the Century huh?

I just don't see it...Moss is a great talent but in todays day and age of football its not the way to win the super bowl...

its not enough to have an explosive offense...

but then again, you of all people should know this by now Capt Hook... :D

ps - the vikings offense with moss isn't nearly as good as the Colts offense.

I applaud the Vikings for going in a new direction and hopefully focusing on defense and letting Culpepper lead the offense...

Edited by alexgaddis

Steal Of the Century huh?

I just don't see it...Moss is a great talent but in todays day and age of football its not the way to win the super bowl...

its not enough to have an explosive offense...

but then again, you of all people should know this by now Capt Hook... :D

ps - the vikings offense with moss isn't nearly as good as the Colts offense.

I applaud the Vikings for going in a new direction and hopefully focusing on defense and letting Culpepper lead the offense...

711563[/snapback]

Althoguh I agree 100% that you need a Defense as well to win the SB, it still is a good pick up for Oakland.

oh, no doubt...

This is a trade that helps both teams...Randy has DEFINATELY worn out his welcome in Minnie and they both need a fresh start...

711591[/snapback]

Yeah, and this is where it leaves me in a weird spot.

I hate him.

He's an enormous douchebag, and Culpepper is a QB that can win without him. The Vikes showed a lot of balls doing this.

Moss has a lot of talent, thoguh... you would be crazy to deny it. With Collins deep arm it could be a huge hook up, and with Porter being on the opposite side it can create some hairy coverages for teams (remember the old Moss, Carter and Reed days?). His attitude could work in Oakland.. we embraced much worse than him before.

I still think he's an ass though.