[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets News and Views....

Rovers

Here is what's happening in Jet land, gleaned from various local news sorces and reports, brought to you in a very unprofessional manner!

Moss

The Jets did show some cursory interest, but in the end, it seems they did not want to part with Abraham for Moss. Plan B....See Mason.

Jordan

Alvin Keels, Jordan's agent, says the Jets put an offer on the table that proves they want to keep him. He says Jordan has not ruled out a return, but still feels he should be a starter somewhere. Sounds to me like he's gone, if he can sign with the Raiders or even Miami.

Moss small

Santana is making noise about wanting an extension negotiated before the 2005 season. Drew Rosenhaus, Moss' agent says it's important to get a deal done. Moss will make $448,000 this coming year, and will then be a restricted free agent unless a deal gets done. That seems unlikely, if the Jets sign Mason, as it would further reduce Moss' production, coming on the heels of a down year after his 2003 caimpaign (over 1000 yards, 10 TD's)

Mason

The Jets are making a serious run at Mason. If they get him, there is a chance they might try to trade Moss, who isn't really well suited to the slot reciver position. Jericho Cocthery is better suited to the slot, with a size, if not a speed adavatage over S. Moss. Cocthery comes at a much lower price than Moss does, and Moss will look for some big money for 2006, which the Jets are unlikely to swallow. The Jets seem to really want Mason....

O&D Lines

Jason Ferguson, the least known of the Jets front 4 says he wants to stay. The other tackle, Dewayne Robertson could be on the verge of his first pro bowl year, his 3rd year in the NFL. Ferguson had 64 tackles and 3 1/2 sacks last year. Backup James Reed is an FA, and the other reserve tackle is Alan Harper. Reed has the better upside, and if the Jets can't sign Ferguson, they may resign Reed instead, and have him start, althought there are some pretty good FA tackles out there.

The O Line remains intact, except for Kareem McKenzie, who is considered to be a high priority signing. They cant afford to lose McKenzie, in my opinion.

Although Cowart has asked to be traded, that seems unlikely, and the Jets solid LB corp remains intact, anchored by Jonathan Vilma, who could, could, possibly be the next Ray Lewis, without murder charges.

Pennington

Pennington's surgery went well, they found what they expected, a partial rotator cuff tear, and some scar tissue on the labrum, which often accompanies cuff injuries. I expect his arm stregnth to return to 2003 form, although this makes him more suseptable to future injury.

The DB situation is a mystery. Terrel Buckley is a free agent, Reggie Tongue is another year older. David Barrett looks like the only sure bet to return (Cowher told Herm he was the best CB they faced all year) McGraw has developed into a pretty good safety, but look for the Jets to either draft another CB or get one in free agancy, but which one is anyone's guess. The two DB's being talked about, with a 1st round pick in the draft are Carlos Rogers (Auburn) and Brandon Browner (Oregon St.) GM Bradway says he wants to pick up a safety and a CB, and get younger in the defensive backfield.

The Jets are over 8 1/2 million under the cap. That is after the tag on Abraham. They have the room to do most of what they need to, with a little room to spare. Picking at 26th has at least one benefit, it wont hurt like a top ten pick would, cap-wise.

That is my report, facts and some opinion, on the team that will finally pull the NFL East rug out from under the hated Pats! :D

Mason

The Jets are making a serious run at Mason. If they get him, there is a chance they might try to trade Moss, who isn't really well suited to the slot reciver position. Jericho Cocthery is better suited to the slot, with a size, if not a speed adavatage over S. Moss. Cocthery comes at a much lower price than Moss does, and Moss will look for some big money for 2006, which the Jets are unlikely to swallow.  The Jets seem to really want Mason....

Mason would be a great fit here, Moss would be great as a #3.

I'm hoping Jordan ends up in Oakland, I really don't see him stayin in NY anymore. He's been crabbing for years now & it looks like they're gonna run Curtis for another year at least.

Mason would be a great fit here, Moss would be great as a #3.

I'm hoping Jordan ends up in Oakland, I really don't see him stayin in NY anymore. He's been crabbing for years now & it looks like they're gonna run Curtis for another year at least.

711007[/snapback]

Mason would be good for the Jets and better for the Giants. :D

Coles was doing a fair amount of whining before he signed with the Skins. The Jets really wanted him but just could not match the overpaying offer that Washington gave him. He sort of left them in a tough spot at the WR position, which may have caused some lasting resentment in the front office towards him.

Add in the fact that he was whining in Washington after a 90 catch season, and may have a lingering foor injury, the Jets don't seem at all interested. Mason brings a mature veteran leadership reputation with him as a solid team player and positive locker room presence. Coles to the Jets seems very unlikely.

Coles to the Jets seems very unlikely.

711098[/snapback]

Check this thread...it doesn't sound like a done deal or anything, but getting close and maybe not so unlikely.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=87226

Laveranues Coles might be returning to the New York Jets.

NFL sources at this week's scouting combine said the Jets and Washington are close to a deal that would send the unhappy wide receiver back to New York for wide receiver Santana Moss in a straight-player deal.

No announcement is expected before March 2, with one league source cautioning that the two sides are hammering out terms of a trade and that no agreement has been reached.

I heard about the Coles for Moss deal, but I think that is the fall back plan if they can't sign Mason.

I dint actually say Vilma is the next Ray Lewis.... but there is an outside chance he could become a dominant player of that type.

It sounds like the Coles for Moss talks are pretty far along and that there is a greater than 50% possibility it happens.

I'd rather have Mason, but the Jets should pull the trigger on that deal if they can't get Mason.

Heimerdinger coming to the Jets may actually be a deterent for Mason. From what I've heard Heimerdinger is a real *** - really gets on the players and yells at them alot. He'll be a good fit with Herm, because they can pull the "good cop, bad cop" routine with Herm being the more player friendly guy. But Mason may have already had enough of the OC.

The reports I heard about Pennington were that the surgery was successful, but they found more damage than anticipated and therefore the surgery was more invasive than planned. That will postpone his rehab and there is some question as to whether he will even be able to throw effectively by the beginning of camp in July. From what I heard, mini-camp is out of the question. So, he will have alot to prove regarding his arm strength come July/August. Luckily, he's been a quick healer in the past, so we'll keep our fingers crossed. The prospect of Brooks Bollinger taking the first snap in the regular season is not one I care to imagine.

It'd be nice to keep Jordan, but I wouldn't give him starting RB money. I'd like to see the Jets draft Marion Barber III if he's still on the board at their pick.

I don't think anyone can say that Jerrico Cotchery can step in and play the slot position. The guy had 6 catches last year. I watched every Jets game and I don't know if he can catch or not. He's quick, has decent size and is a good special teams player, but to say he can play reciever in the NFL at this point is very premature. I don't know what he makes, but if they're only paying Moss $450K he can't be much lower cost than that.

I'd just stick with Reggie Toungue at S for another year. Coleman is a good free safety. I've never really liked McGraw. Terrell Buckley is awful - if he needs a ride to the airport, I'll take him personally - just get him out of town. They could draft a CB, but I don't think thet will really help them next year. It's rare that a rookie CB comes in and makes an immediate impact - at least not a positive one. I keep hearing speculation about possibly signing Saumari Rolle, but I'm sure he'll command alot of money and he's been somewhat injury prone. Still, he might be worth a shot.

Vet, great post! But a question or two.... all the reports I have read on Pennington's surgery said they found exactly what they expected to find.... where did you get the info on more damage? I have heard talk of bringing back Vinny, as insurance against Penny's rehab time. McGraw is a good second string safety, I think, but should not be a starter.

Crotchery.... is a question to us, but I think the staff knows more. They seem to have confidence in him. When they drafted him, they knew he was at least a mini-project.

Based on Bradway's comments, I think he wants to get a replacement for Toungue, but maybe one who will need to be groomed for a year. Mickens will also be back, presumably to play the nickel.

I am much more .... skeptical about Coles. I really hope they get Mason instead. The Skins asked Coles to get surgery on that foot, and he refused. Not good, and given his history of whining..... oh, please get Mason! I actually think if the Jets trade Moss for Coles, it will be to shove Cole's bonus down the throat of the Redskins for having over paid him when they stole him 2 years ago.

I heard the Pennington info the day after his surgery on both WFAN and ESPN radio. I'm still wondering why they waited three weeks after the Pittsburgh game to perform the surgery. Seem like it should have been done as soon as possible. Maybe he they had to wait for some swelling to go down or something before they could get in there.

I heard this morning the Jets are talking to Jay Fiedler to be the back-up for next year. I guess that's not bad if they can get him cheap.

Sounds like the Coles for Moss deal is pretty much done. I don't view it as a big deal, but rather a minor upgrade for the Jets. I understand your concern about Coles' injury, but let's face it - you never go into the season expecting Santana Moss to play all 16 games either. Moss is always hurt. I was down in DC this week and Redskin fans are not real excited about getting Santana Moss.

I agree with you about getting McKenzie signed. The O-Line was great last year and it is important to keep that group together for at least another year. I worry that Mawae (who I consider the most important and valuable player on the team) is getting up there in years. If the Jets are ever going to win anything, they need to do it in the next couple of years while Mawae is still able to be a dominant center.

The secondary needs help, but I don't see any obvious answers. Ty Law would look nice in green, wouldn't he? Don't know if they can afford him or not.

There are some pretty good DB's out there in free agency, but I don't think they could afford Rolle or Law. If the Coles deal goes down, and they pull out of the Mason sweepstakes, that might bring Rolle back into consideration. I don't think they want to spend more than 4 mill on a DB, being 8.5 mill under the cap now. I hope they really get the Redskins to foot the bill for Coles though. Revenge would be oh-so sweet! :D

An update on the scuttle-but. The Jets may not be able to resign Kareem McKenzie, although they will try. If he leaves, Jennings from Buffalo is likely too expensive, the next most likely FA offensive lineman is Fred Miller, he of the Titans salary cap cleaning. If the Jets do land Jennings, Fabini would move back to right tackle.

While it was repoerted the Jets turned down Sam Cowart's request for a trade only several weeks ago, the rumour now is that both he and Reggie Toungue will be released.

Jason Ferguson is expected to be resigned, keeping the Jets front seven intact, with the exception of Cowart, who lost his starting job to Vilma.

Supposedly, new OC Heimerdinger, who uses the TE as a reciever often in his schemes, is not as down on soon to be FA TE Becht as previously believed. After viewing films, he credits much of Curtis Martin's success last year to Becht's blocking, and he thinks Becht was under utilized as a reciever. Given the slim pickings for TE's in the draft and the FA market, they may resign Becht after all.

With the Coles deal now dead, expect the Jets to be a major player in the Mason sweepstakes.... they clearly are not happy with the WR corp as is.

PS: Fiedler is now the leading candidate for the backup QB position. As a Long Island native, it's known if he's to be a backup, he'd welcome a return to his old stomping grounds.... the other team most likely to get him if the Jets don't? The Giants.

Edited by Rovers