[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coles back to the Jets

Guest Sores

That's an awful lot of trouble & money spent to end up with Santana Moss. I'd say the Jets are getting the better end of the deal, injury or no injury.

711287[/snapback]

Agreed. I also think it drops S. Moss' value a bit, from a fantasy perspective.

I also don't think Moss can handle the #1 job without some good talent on the other side. I'd expect the Skins to continue their hunt for a #1 WR & keep Moss in the slot.

711307[/snapback]

Now that would make sense

Now that would make sense

711323[/snapback]

...and the same goes for the Jets. As cheaply as they're getting Coles (assuming he won't get the money Washington was paying him) They should still be able to sign another big FA WR.

...and the same goes for the Jets. As cheaply as they're getting Coles (assuming he won't get the money Washington was paying him) They should still be able to sign another big FA WR.

711349[/snapback]

I hear Rod Gardner's available. :D

The money end of this trade sucks for the Redskins, but Coles' big toe is gonna fall off. Gibbs wants speed and Moss can stretch a defense. If I was Gibbs and this trade went through, I would keep Gardner and Moss starting and use Thrash and Taylor Jacobs in 3-4 WR sets frequently. The problem last year was both the play calling and an inability to get downfield.

Call me crazy or hopelessly and homeristically optimistic but I think Moss would help Washington a lot more than Coles.

Call me crazy or hopelessly and homeristically optimistic but I think Moss would help Washington a lot more than Coles.

711541[/snapback]

Well... we at least agree on this. :D

You pays your quarter and you takes your chances. With Coles the 'Skins lost their quarter. :D

You pays your quarter and you takes your chances. With Coles the 'Skins lost their quarter. :D

711551[/snapback]

You're right on the money there sky.

At least the Skins will get something in return for Coles, rather than releasing him or risk keeping him around when he's both hurt and unhappy. Rather see them get a draft pick though.

Not sure what they're going to do for a #1. I'd love to see them get Mason, but I'm not sure they'll have the cap room. Though if it's possible, I'm sure Danny and Vinnie will figure out a way. :D

The money end of this trade sucks for the Redskins, but Coles' big toe is gonna fall off. Gibbs wants speed and Moss can stretch a defense. If I was Gibbs and this trade went through, I would keep Gardner and Moss starting and use Thrash and Taylor Jacobs in 3-4 WR sets frequently. The problem last year was both the play calling and an inability to get downfield. 

711541[/snapback]

could not have said it better myself. i think the trade is not as bad as everyone is saying. get rid of Coles. His toe is a lot bigger issue than people think and he is unhappy. get rid of him before he becomes a cancer in the locker room. moss is blazing fast and will stretch the field. the y still may look at a wr in the draft if williams is still available.

could not have said it better myself. i think the trade is not as bad as everyone is saying. get rid of Coles. His toe is a lot bigger issue than people think and he is unhappy. get rid of him before he becomes a cancer in the locker room. moss is blazing fast and will stretch the field. the y still may look at a wr in the draft if williams is still available.

711728[/snapback]

For the record I never wanted to give the impression that this was a bad trade for Washington. On the contrary, I think it could be very good for them but only if they get a legit #1 beside him. What my post intended was to point out that the Skins payed out the arse only to have ended up with Moss rather than Coles and went thru an awful lot of trouble in doing so. As for Coles I think he'll be just fine back in NY and will be an upgrade to what they had with Moss, especially if they can pick up someone else who can draw secondarys deep.

In the end a good deal for both teams, but at a great cost to the Skins.

Edited by rajncajn

His toe is a lot bigger issue than people think.

711728[/snapback]

Everyone keeps repeating this, but I haven't seen any proof of that, it seems like a lot of speculation to me. I'm certain he'll go through a thorough physical before any team trades for or signs him.

I know people want to point at his 10.6 YPC last year, but let's not forget that Gibbs offense wasn't trying to throw the ball downfield. Plus, Mark Brunell was the QB for a good part of the season, and he is unequipped to do so any longer anyway...Brunell's YPA last season was an absolutely atrocious 5.0 yards. Ramsey's wasn't much better at 6.1 (either of them would have been dead last among NFL starters).

Everyone keeps repeating this, but I haven't seen any proof of that, it seems like a lot of speculation to me.  I'm certain he'll go through a thorough physical before any team trades for or signs him. 

I know people want to point at his 10.6 YPC last year, but let's not forget that Gibbs offense wasn't trying to throw the ball downfield.  Plus, Mark Brunell was the QB for a good part of the season, and he is unequipped to do so any longer anyway...Brunell's YPA last season was an absolutely atrocious 5.0 yards.  Ramsey's wasn't much better at 6.1 (either of them would have been dead last among NFL starters).

711814[/snapback]

Well, the team asked him to have offseason surgery. One would assume they did that for a reason. And he said no. I think teams can evaluate medical conditions and ability better than players and us.

Edited by skins

Santana Moss has fantasy value?  :D

711894[/snapback]

How quickly we forget...

It was only two seasons ago that Moss hauled in 74 passes for 1105 yards and 10 TDs. I'd say that, in the right system, he has value. But I don't think the Redskins have the right system for him, unless they start passing downfield more.

I think teams can evaluate medical conditions and ability better than players and us.

711899[/snapback]

But can a team evaulate how part of a player's body is feeling better than the player himself? :D

And oh yeah, if the Redskins have been known for one thing over the Dan Snyder era, it's definitely player evaluation. B):D

Edited by Skrappy1

Santana Moss has fantasy value?  :D

711894[/snapback]

How quickly we forget...

It was only two seasons ago that Moss hauled in 74 passes for 1105 yards and 10 TDs.  I'd say that, in the right system, he has value.  But I don't think the Redskins have the right system for him, unless they start passing downfield more.

711953[/snapback]

Oh I didn't forget. I was being semi-facetious...

But I then recall the fact that he caught 30 for 433 with 4 scores the previous season. Granted, he only started 3 games, but one must figure that the REAL Santana Moss is somewhere in between that season (2002) and his big season (2003)... which ends up being about what he had this past season (2004): 45 for 838 and 5 TDs.

He still has value - don't get me wrong. He's an exciting open-field receiver and punt returner. In the right system he could probably build on those TD totals, but I honestly doubt he'll top 1000 yards receiving in a season. He just doesn't fit the "prototypical NFL stud WR" mold. He's a smallish wideout that relies purely on speed and route-running. Again, in the right system, this could prove beneficial. Are the 'Skins that team? Honestly, I don't think so. I'd personally love to see him in San Diego, opposite the solid possession guy (McCardell) and bigger WR (Caldwell). His open field speed would open the field up for Gates and the aforementioned WRs.

:D