Troy Brown released

msaint

I know it's a business and all, and he had a fairly large cap number/salary coming his way ($5.7 million...$2.5 million roster bonus, plus salary) relative to his position as a part-time offensive/defensive player on the downside of his production, but Troy Brown has been the gold standard of "team players" for the Pats over the past several years. If he doesn't end up coming back, he'll be missed up here, and some team will be lucky to get a classy, veteran role player with a few rings under his belt.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...attern_for_now/

Edited by msaint

Somebody posted this yesterday & I was thinking pretty much the same thing. The Pats could certainly still use him it would have been nice for them to make a better attempt at restructuring his contract. If he doesn't resign he'll make a nice addition to almost any team.

I've always liked Troy. The Lions are looking for a veteran receiver for a number 3. I think he would be perfect. He's a solid player and his leadership would be great for two young receivers - Roy Williams and Charles Rogers.

This is a surprise.

But at least they gave him a good season, showcasing him

on offense and defense. Someone will pick him up, IF he doesn't re-sign.

717175[/snapback]

Apparently this is something that both sides knew was coming. Still sad, though. :D

it is pretty sad, i enjoy how the patriots win with that do anything type of attitude. but it doesn't surprise that they don't want him to pay that kind of money. the guy is a great athlete, but that would be a lot to pay for him. i would certainly think that they will take some time to re-sign him for a more appropriate price. it would really surprise me to not see him back with the pats, but then again, they have been known to let some fan favorite players go....

Why all the bitterness? He was with the team for 12 freakin' years. That's a long time in this day and age. Who knows, maybe he'll end up signing back with the Pats. :D I hate to see him go, but them's the breaks.

718755[/snapback]

I'm not bitter at all, but I would think a Pats fan would be. After playing Offense, Defense and Special TEams and then, on top of this season, tearing ass in the Super Bowl, I would think Pat fans would be upset over this.

I'm saddened by it, more from what he represents than what he can do. He's lost a step at WR, and has certainly pitched in as a DB, but he can't seriously play that position full time. It was good in that he was a multi-use player, roster wise. It was good for depth. Hey, I'm a little bummed to see Phifer cut too.

They need the cap room. Rumor has it there's a long term restructure for Brady in the wind. And surely they need $$ to sign their TE pick this year. :D

Here is what I think of this releasing. Troy Brown was a teamer and was shoved in front of all the media as one.

With Troy now booted off the team, I don't want to hear another piece of crap about getting rid of "me first" players on the Patriots. :D

The Pats have lost their rights to the team comes first BS.

Here is what I think of this releasing.  Troy Brown was a teamer and was shoved in front of all the media as one. 

With Troy now booted off the team, I don't want to hear another piece of crap about getting rid of "me first" players on the Patriots.  :D

The Pats have lost their rights to the team comes first BS.

718901[/snapback]

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read here.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read here.

718952[/snapback]

Agreed. He wasn't "booted". Would you have paid a $5 million dollar roster bonus? Of course not. They want him back, just at a more reasonable price.

Agreed. He wasn't "booted". Would you have paid a $5 million dollar roster bonus? Of course not. They want him back, just at a more reasonable price.

718958[/snapback]

Yeah, you definately don't want to pay the money you agreed to with his last contract. Better to cut the guy & restructure that 5 mil so that he only ever sees about 2 of it. :D

They want him back, just at a more reasonable price.

718958[/snapback]

Exactly, and I think he will probably be back. ESPN says that he is going to test the free agent market for 10 days or so and then talk to the Pats again. No offense to Troy, but I seriously doubt there will be much attention paid to him as a free agent WR...he is a better fit with the Patriots than he would be anywhere else.

Yeah, you definately don't want to pay the money you agreed to with his last contract. Better to cut the guy & restructure that 5 mil so that he only ever sees about 2 of it. :D

718979[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying, but that's the way of the NFL these days, and the players all know it when they sign...that's why it isn't guaranteed money.

I hear what you're saying, but that's the way of the NFL these days, and the players all know it when they sign...that's why it isn't guaranteed money.

718984[/snapback]

Exactly. Roster bonuses are "if we can't live without you" money. The Pats can live without Troy Brown with a $5 million bonus. That's $5 million against the cap I believe, and they can sign more than 1 replacement for that money.