[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Porter on the Moss signing. . .

CaptainHook

"We've got to check our egos, and the ball has to be distributed in a way to make everybody happy," said Porter, who re-signed with the team for five years and close to $20 million last week.

Would Jerry have re-signed if he knew Moss was coming? Does he really think everybody is going to be happy? They didn't trade for Moss to have him catch 75 balls, methinks. . .

I think once Porter sees man to man coverage on every play...not a safety in sight...he will shut his cakehole. He stands to benefit greatly from the Moss signing.

718473[/snapback]

The Moss, Carter and Reed combo seem to have done pretty well together. Porter will be fine, double team on Moss will open up Porter for more catches. Double Porter and Moss is open deep.

Im sure he'll get through it!

I don't buy the fact that this helps Porter and I really don't think he would've resigned had he known about this trade. He may get teams' #2 CB now, but he went from the clear #1 target to the clear #2 target. He'll have a lot less balls thrown at him now than if he was the #1 WR.

Plus, this ain't Minnesota. Norv has always like to run the ball a lot and I can't see two 1,000 yard WRs in his offense. Of course if I wasn't so lazy I'd do some historical research on WRs in Norv's offenses...maybe later.

Norv has always like to run the ball a lot and I can't see two 1,000 yard WRs in his offense.  Of course if I wasn't so lazy I'd do some historical research on WRs in Norv's offenses...maybe later.

718588[/snapback]

The only Norv-coordinated/head coached team that tallied 2 1000 yd WRs was the 1999 Washington Redskins. That was also the only time an offense on a team he was head coach of finished in the top 10 in yards and scoring - the only other top 10 finish aside from that year was 8th in yds in '96.

Average finish in pass attempts of Norv's offenses as head coach was 12th; average finish in rushing attempts was 18th.

As co-ordinator in Dallas from 90-93, his offense finished 7-8 in pts-yds in 91, and 2-4 in both 92 and 93. In rushing attempts, they finished 22nd, 17th, 4th, and 6th; in pass attempts, they finished 14th, 14th, 12th, and 24th.

As coordinator and HC, his teams (90-93 Cowboys, 94-00 Redskins, 02-03 Dolphins, 04 Raiders) have featured 8 WRs who've cracked the 1000 yd mark, plus a couple near-misses (Chambers in '03 with 963 yds and Porter last year with 998), but only 4 players who tallied over 1300 yds (Irvin 91-93, Henry Ellard in 94). His 90 Cowboy, 97, 98, and 00 Redskin teams, both Dolphin years and last year were without 1000 yd WRs. And in 95 and 96, Ellard just barely squeaked over 1000 (1005 and 1014, respectively) yds despite averaging 18.7 ypc.

Most notable, though, is no Turner WR has EVER had more than 9 td catches in a season.

Slight caveat - in his bio, it says Turner "oversaw" the LA Rams passing game from 85-90. In this time, Henry Ellard had 3 1000 yd seasons (all 3 around 1300+ yds, and 10 tds in 88) from 88-90 and Flipper Anderson had 2 in 89 and 90.

Not sure how much credit to assign, though, since Ernie Zampese held the title of offensive co-ordinator at that time.

FWIW, Porter was on Best D@mn two nights ago (no, I don't know why I was watching that crap), and he said all the right things. Sounded happy that Randy was coming. But he didn't sound like he was going to give up #84 without serious compensation...

Edited by Puddy

I don't buy the fact that this helps Porter and I really don't think he would've resigned had he known about this trade.  He may get teams' #2 CB now, but he went from the clear #1 target to the clear #2 target.  He'll have a lot less balls thrown at him now than if he was the #1 WR. 

718588[/snapback]

I think it definitely helps Porter. Lets not forget, he had a pretty decent season in 2002 as the 3rd option behind Rice and Brown (51 catches for 688 yards and 9 TDs). He and his game seemed to mature somewhat in the second half of this year, and he won't be seeing any double teams now.

I don't think that you'll see ever see Porter score tds as in the past when he was playing with Rice and Brown. I don't imagine that Moss will be a decoy next season.

There you have it. My first thought of Moss as an ex-Viking.

Edited by MikesVikes

I don't imagine that Moss will be a decoy next season.

There you have it.  My first thought of Moss as an ex-Viking.

720310[/snapback]

So was it liberating or soul-crushing? :D

I don't think that you'll see ever see Porter score tds as in the past when he was playing with Rice and Brown.  I don't imagine that Moss will be a decoy next season.

720310[/snapback]

I'd hardly consider Rice and Brown decoys in 2002:

Jerry Rice - 92 catches for 1211 yards and 7 TDs

Tim Brown - 81 catches for 930 yards and 2 TDs

Granted, Moss is obvioulsy the #1, but Porter is big, has some jets, and will now be seeing single coverage, including in the endzone. Marcus Robinson, a similarly big redzone target, caught 8 TDs this year when playing opposite Moss. He caught zero while Moss was out. Personally, I don't think that's a coincidence.

Edited by Skrappy1

I'd hate to seem high-maintainence, but at least one "attaboy" for my breakdown of WRs under Norv Turner would be nice.

720336[/snapback]

Here you go, "attaboy" Chavez. :D Satisfied? Hopefully Norv is smart enough to work with the weapons he's got now though. You know Davis will can his ass if he isn't keeping his new toy Randy happy. Jordan should see some daylight too with Moss and Porter stretching the field. They could be the new Chiefs.

I'd hate to seem high-maintainence, but at least one "attaboy" for my breakdown of WRs under Norv Turner would be nice.

720336[/snapback]

It was nice research Chavez. I guess I skimmed right over it because I am not a believer in the Norv Turner offense. I think they suck. I've never seen an offense where you dump it off to the RB so much. Very unimaginative. I have never been a fan. Thus I was not surprised WR had fared so poorly under his watch. Moss will be the exception. He is a super talent.

Nice job Chavez!!!!! :D Very good info....Defense aside...if Turner is to do anything as a coach this year upcoming will be his point of reference....history will tell the tale as Moss, Porter, Collins and Jordan can't get them back to the playoffs they will use Collins and/or Turner as the scapegoat!!

They need to keep Woodson and pick up on the darft with "D" and a late round QB...Turner either gets it turned around this year or Al baby will dismiss him with prejudice!!! :D

"We've got to check our egos, and the ball has to be distributed in a way to make everybody happy," said Porter, who re-signed with the team for five years and close to $20 million last week.

Would Jerry have re-signed if he knew Moss was coming?  Does he really think everybody is going to be happy?  They didn't trade for Moss to have him catch 75 balls, methinks. . .

718468[/snapback]

After Moss' stellar rookie season, Cris Carter still managed 90, 96, and 73 reception-seasons in the three following years. Given the Raiders' crappy defense and mediocre running game, I don't see why Porter can't average 70 receptions/season as a #2.