[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1.03 Pick becoming clearer for the Browns?

Big Score 1

Bills | Holcomb Agrees to Terms - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:44:21 -0800

"Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Buffalo Bills have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent QB Kelly Holcomb (Browns). The contract agreement is for a four-year, $6.6 million deal, including a $2 million signing bonus. Holcomb is expected to compete with QB J.P. Losman for the starting job."

With the Brown's letting both Garcia & Holcomb go, you'd have to think they'll be using their 1st round pick on a QB. I'd imagine they'll secure the services of one of the FA veteran QB's out there while they groom the rook for a few games, ala Eli Manning.

Maybe Warner?

Vinny Testicles?

Trent Dufus?

In other Brown's news "The Soldier" has a new Position Coach.

"BEREA, Ohio (March 4, 2005) -- Former All-Pro Ben Coates became the Cleveland Browns' tight ends coach, completing coach Romeo Crennel's new staff. He coached at Division II Livingstone, his alma mater, and in NFL Europe."

There's been talk of them bringing in Dilfer. I say sayonara to Holcomb...cat wanted a 4 year 10 million contract. He ain't worth it...he's a backup and he'll be a backup to Losman...

I thought I read somewhere that CLE had picked up Dilfer yesterday? Maybe it was just a rumor.

722000[/snapback]

They're definitely looking at Trent Dufus, but nothing concrete yet.

By Pat McManamon, Columnist

March 4, 2005

Savage also touched on the team’s quarterback situation by verifying reports he had talked to Seattle about acquiring Trent Dilfer. But he didn’t make a huge issue of the talks.

“We have talked, not specifics,” Savage said. “But we have certainly talked.”

His tone clearly downplayed the discussions, as he said: “We’re just checking around.”

www.clevelandbrowns.com

Also:

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune

Last updated: March 3rd, 2005 08:47 AM

"The Cleveland Browns are pursuing a trade that could make Seattle’s Trent Dilfer their starting quarterback.

Cleveland’s interest in Dilfer makes sense because the Browns’ new general manager, Phil Savage, helped bring the quarterback to Baltimore in 2000. Savage was then the Ravens’ personnel director."

www.thenewstribune.com

Guest THEbigred

I would think they're bringing in Dilfer as a vet backup and/or "he'll do if nothing else happens" kinda thing. Was had pretty cheap too, I'd imagine.

I'm not as high on Alex Smith as some, but I think I'd still go that route...unless they think Frye will last to Round 2, which is IMO likely, but not a given.

Dilfer and Crennel were on the same Baltimore team...they remained in touch. The Crennel Highway isn't a toll road...

722210[/snapback]

Good point. Dilfer has shown that he's supportive of younger players as a

mentor and he doesn't pout or go into his shell when he has to compete for a spot.

I would agree that using Dilfer for a season to prepare either Rodgers or Smith would be a smart move.

His arm isn't much, but he is smart and runs the O well. He may bring some stability to the huddle as well.

Or they could re-sign Couch! But if I had his new wife, playing football would be the last thing on my agenda. :D

What happens if Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith are gone after the first two picks?

722273[/snapback]

If the draft order stays as is, I seriously doubt Saban spends the Phinz pick on a QB.

For that matter (considering how cheap York is) even though the 49ers need a QB, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he instructed those running the 49ers draft to trade out of the #1 spot for peanuts.

In almost no scenario that I can imagine, do I see QB's going 1 2 in the upcoming draft.

But if it did happen, I can see the Browns going either RB or WR at the 3 spot.

Dilfer to Browns trade complete

"The Cleveland Browns didn't wait long to find an experienced quarterback, trading a fourth-round draft pick for Seattle veteran Trent Dilfer on Saturday.

The fourth-round pick also is an extra one, acquired from Denver for defensive tackle Gerard Warren earlier this week."

www.sportsline.com

prolly used the 4th rounder we got for Warren...

722727[/snapback]

Uhhhh........in the post directly above yours :D

"The fourth-round pick also is an extra one, acquired from Denver for defensive tackle Gerard Warren earlier this week."

722716[/snapback]

Not a sarcastic comment here, but I wonder why the Browns don't go after Warner as a 1-2 year stopgap measure. All the Giants exec's are saying great things about him, even though they have nothing to gain by speaking up.

722771[/snapback]

I agree with ya, albeit before Arizona signed Warner. He played well for the Giants and opposing coordinators spoke highly in having to respect the deep ball with him under center.

That said, I think Cleveland picked the wrong coach again, as Crennel was simply riding on Billy's coat tails.

I agree with ya, albeit before Arizona signed Warner.  He played well for the Giants and opposing coordinators spoke highly in having to respect the deep ball with him under center.

That said, I think Cleveland picked the wrong coach again, as Crennel was simply riding on Billy's coat tails.

723297[/snapback]

The same thing was said about Bill Belichick riding another Billy's coat tails not very long ago.

The same thing was said about Bill Belichick riding another Billy's coat tails not  very long ago.

724234[/snapback]

You're right there Hook. I can remeber when Belichick was head Coach of the Browns and he was run out of town as a not so ready for prime time Coach. Then he toiled under Parcells for awhile and when he got his next Head Coaching gig with the Pats, it was said the only reason he got it, was because of his association with Parcells and that he would flop again.

We all know how that's turned out, don't we?