[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santana Moss

CaptainHook

With the Redskins sending Lavernues Coles to the Jets for Santana Moss, currently the Redskins will enter 2005 with S. Moss as their #1 WR. Are they nuts?

Gardner will be gone. Coles will be gone. And in their place will be Santana Moss and David Patten? Whatever happend to Darnerian McCants? The Redskins passing game is gonna be bad. . .

Or do the 'Skins plan on getting involved in the bidding for Plaxico Burress?

Edited by CaptainHook

With the Redskins sending Lavernues Coles to the Jets for Santana Moss, currently the Redskins will enter 2005 with S. Moss as their #1 WR.  Are they nuts?

Gardner will be gone.  Coles will be gone.  And in their place will be Santana Moss and David Patten?  Whatever happend to Darnerian McCants?  The Redskins passing game is gonna be bad. . .

722281[/snapback]

They must be nuts. I've never believed that S. Moss is a true No. 1 WR. Patten is an upgrade, but not much of one.

I would not rush to judgement on Moss. He is one of the fastest players in the NFL. Even when Pennington was healthy, Moss would outrun his arm. Because of his size, he isnt well suited to come back for the ball and battle a DB for it, but Ramsey has the arm to hit him downfield. For his size, he does a great job of avoiding contact in the first five yards. In fact, he's better when they try to bump him, he gets more seperation when they try to hit him inside the 5 yard limit, he's squirmy, hard to get a good hit on.

Moss is no possession reciever, he is a home run hitter. Unfortunately, the Jets were unable to best use him with Pennington's arm injury last year, and they rarely let Carter throw deep when he filled in. As a Jet fan, I hope Coles fails the physical. We already have a good possession reciever in McCariens.

I would not rush to judgement on Moss. He is one of the fastest players in the NFL. Even when Pennington was healthy, Moss would outrun his arm. Because of his size, he isnt well suited to come back for the ball and battle a DB for it, but Ramsey has the arm to hit him downfield. For his size, he does a great job of avoiding contact in the first five yards. In fact, he's better when they try to bump him, he gets more seperation when they try to hit him inside the 5 yard limit, he's squirmy, hard to get a good hit on.

Moss is no possession reciever, he is a home run hitter. Unfortunately, the Jets were unable to best use him with Pennington's arm injury last  year, and they rarely let Carter throw deep when he filled in. As a Jet fan, I hope Coles fails the physical.  We already have a good possession reciever in McCariens.

722514[/snapback]

I agree. I think this helps Moss. He is not a possesion receiver, but he excels at stretching the field. Safetys will come up to help stop Portis and TE's which will leave CB's one on one. I'm not saying he will be a top receiver, but his number will be better than last year and he willd be a good #2 fantasy WR.

The Skins could actually be ok with what they have now, considering what I think Gibbs wants to do. Gardner will be gone, of course.

That leaves us with Moss and Patten, who can both stretch the field. I think McCants can actually be a good possession receiver. And Thrash, while he would not start anywhere in the league, makes a decent #4.

So while I won't say I'm thrilled about the Redskins WR outlook this year, I think they may be able to get the job done. Just don't expect any good fantasy numbers out of this group.

Now if they can just figure out a way to keep Smoot....

The Skins could actually be ok with what they have now, considering what I think Gibbs wants to do.  Gardner will be gone, of course.

That leaves us with Moss and Patten, who can both stretch the field.  I think McCants can actually be a good possession receiver. And Thrash, while he would not start anywhere in the league, makes a decent #4.

So while I won't say I'm thrilled about the Redskins WR outlook this year, I think they may be able to get the job done.  Just don't expect any good fantasy numbers out of this group.

Now if they can just figure out a way to keep Smoot....

723478[/snapback]

Gotta keep smoot. What about Taylor Jacobs? Does he step up this year?

Moss is no possession reciever, he is a home run hitter. Unfortunately, the Jets were unable to best use him with Pennington's arm injury last  year, and they rarely let Carter throw deep when he filled in. As a Jet fan, I hope Coles fails the physical.  We already have a good possession reciever in McCariens.

722514[/snapback]

I'll admit that I didn't watch much of him last year, however, the year before I was very supprised. I thought he was exactly as you described above, but I'm not sure he really is that fast. He's very quick, but he doesn't seem to be flat out fast. A couple of games I watched him in, on some steak patterns, he couldn't separate at all from the DB. I actually think he is a great slot receiver, but falls way short of a #1

Gotta keep smoot. What about Taylor Jacobs? Does he step up this year?

723564[/snapback]

I have my doubts about Jacobs. But I think my doubts are mostly founded in my inherent skepticism in anything related to Spurrier. So who knows. Maybe he'll work out. It'd better happen soon though.

If, and I say again, IF, Coles passes the physical, then we can worry. Right now I am taking this trade with a grain of salt as I have HUGH doubts that Coles can pass a physical.

722299[/snapback]

As a Jet fan, I hope Coles fails the physical.  We already have a good possession reciever in McCariens.

722514[/snapback]

They both passed their physicals. The deal is done.

With the Redskins sending Lavernues Coles to the Jets for Santana Moss, currently the Redskins will enter 2005 with S. Moss as their #1 WR.  Are they nuts?

Gardner will be gone.  Coles will be gone.  And in their place will be Santana Moss and David Patten?  Whatever happend to Darnerian McCants?  The Redskins passing game is gonna be bad. . .

722281[/snapback]

How about Mike Williams??? Sounds like a pretty good #1 to me.

From fantasyfootballjungle.com

"9. Washington Redskins Mike Williams, WR USC

With the impending release of Lavaerneus Coles, the Redskins have a huge hole at wide receiver, and are praying that Williams falls to this pick. Williams' decision to run at the combine, and his reasonable performance, will guarantee him to be a top 10 selection, and the Redskins would be more than happy with him at this point. "

How about Mike Williams???  Sounds like a pretty good #1 to me.

From fantasyfootballjungle.com

"9. Washington Redskins  Mike Williams, WR USC

With the impending release of Lavaerneus Coles, the Redskins have a huge hole at wide receiver, and are praying that Williams falls to this pick. Williams' decision to run at the combine, and his reasonable performance, will guarantee him to be a top 10 selection, and the Redskins would be more than happy with him at this point. "

727822[/snapback]

I wouldn't be too surprised to see the Skins trade down. Their losses have left several holes, and they have almost no cap room to sign a high draft pick. Although granted, they will free up some space when they trade Gardner, and they will undoubtedly release another player or two. But a trade down could bring them a late first-rounder this year which they could use to get a DE like James or Roth, and additional picks either this year or next year.

Pure speculation obviously, but if they can get a decent offer for #9, I could easily see them trading it.