[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikes and Smoot close?

BillyBalata

If that's his other option, they don't have any money left anyway...

-----------------------------------------------

Source: Vikings close to signing Smoot

Last Update: 3/8/2005 4:49:13 PM

KFAN dot com

The Vikings and free-agent cornerback Fred Smoot were close to reaching an agreement on a lucrative multiyear contract, a team source told the FAN on Tuesday afternoon.

Smoot, a former second-round pick who played his first four seasons in Washington, rejected a contract offer from the Redskins last week that included a $10 million bonus.

Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, coach Mike Tice and other team officials were ironing out contract details with Smoot and his agent, James Cook, in a closed-door meeting at Winter Park, the source said.

Smoot had been scheduled to continue his free-agent tour in Kansas City on Tuesday afternoon, but missed the flight because of his meeting with the Vikings.

Smoot, considered one of the NFL's premier cover cornerbacks, has 182 tackles and 16 interceptions in 60 career games. He battled shoulder and back problems in 2004, but played in 15 games -- missing only the Redskins' victorious season finale against the Vikings.

The 25-year-old Mississippi State product also has had chest and knee injuries, playing in all 16 games just once in his four-year career.

In Minnesota, Smoot would play opposite Antoine Winfield, who signed a six-year, $35 million contract last March that included a $10.8 million bonus.

Vikings bolster secondary with Smoot

Last Update: 3/8/2005 6:10:47 PM

KFAN dot com

The Vikings and free-agent cornerback Fred Smoot agreed to terms on a six-year deal early Tuesday evening, the FAN has learned.

Terms were not disclosed, but the deal is believed to be close to the six-year, $35 million contract the Vikings' other top cornerback, Antoine Winfield, signed last March.

Smoot, a former second-round pick who played his first four seasons in Washington, rejected a contract offer from the Redskins last week that included a $10 million bonus.

The 5-foot-11, 174-pound cornerback skipped his planned flight to Kansas City on Tuesday afternoon while his agent, James Cook, ironed out details with Vikings officials at Winter Park.

Smoot, considered one of the NFL's premier cover cornerbacks, has 182 tackles and 16 interceptions in 60 career games. He battled shoulder and back problems in 2004, but played in 15 games -- missing only the Redskins' victorious season finale against the Vikings.

The 25-year-old Mississippi State product also has had chest and knee injuries, playing in all 16 games just once in his four-year career.

Smott will start opposite Winfield in Minnesota, replacing restricted free agent Brian Williams.

:D Yep, just heard this too! Nice addition with Winfield.

Rumors about Vikes getting serious with Donovin Darius. One of the rumors has the Vikes swapping their #7 pick with Jacksonville's #21.. Hope they get it done :D Puts a whole new look to the pathetic D. Anyone remember Swerwanga (sp) anymore?

Edited by Moss6

yeah Walt Harris came into Bears camp with that same slogan in 96. Even printed on t shirts that he handed out.

725732[/snapback]

I didn't realize Smoot plagiarized. What a chump. I now hope Roy Williams and Charles Rogers give him a rude welcome to the NFC Norris...

We can't go a  single day in Vikingland with everything being just peachy can we? :D  :D

725867[/snapback]

Nope. :D:D

I don't think Tice gets canned for this and he's denying it too, but if he does who could the Vikes bring in? I hope for something more than a Cottrell promotion...

:bigshock:  :bigshock:  :bigshock:  :bigshock:  :bigshock:

My faith may be restored yet in this team!  :D

Big day for the Vikes. Signed both Smoot and re-signed Wiggins! :eek:

Sounds like Tice is in trouble though?!!?!?  :D

And sale to Fowler may be delayed.  :doah:

725865[/snapback]

Wiggins, I didn't hear that, whose reporting that?

Wiggins, I didn't hear that, whose reporting that?

725886[/snapback]

Vikings sign tight end Jermaine Wiggins

Mark Craig, Star Tribune

March 9, 2005 VIKE0309.ONLINE

The Vikings have agreed to terms with free agent tight end Jermaine Wiggins on a five-year deal worth $7.3 million with a $1 million signing bonus, his agent, George Mavrikes, told the Star Tribune on Tuesday.

"I pretty excited; no, I'm really excited," said Wiggins, who led the Vikings in receptions with 71 last season, his first with the team. "I wanted this done before free agency started. This is the place I wanted to be all along."

Wiggins came to the Vikings as a free agent from Carolina before the 2004 season. He signed a one-year, $600,000 contract and vowed he could become a pass-catching tight end despite having never caught more than 18 passes in four previous seasons.

Wiggins, who missed two games because of a broken hand, finished with 71 catches for 705 yards and four touchdowns.

The Vikings brought free agent tight end Freddie Jones in for a visit on Tuesday. With Wiggins signed, the Vikings no longer are interested in Jones.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5281325.html

Vikings sign tight end Jermaine Wiggins

Mark Craig,  Star Tribune

March 9, 2005 VIKE0309.ONLINE

The Vikings have agreed to terms with free agent tight end Jermaine Wiggins on a five-year deal worth $7.3 million with a $1 million signing bonus, his agent, George Mavrikes, told the Star Tribune on Tuesday.

"I pretty excited; no, I'm really excited," said Wiggins, who led the Vikings in receptions with 71 last season, his first with the team. "I wanted this done before free agency started. This is the place I wanted to be all along."

Wiggins came to the Vikings as a free agent from Carolina before the 2004 season. He signed a one-year, $600,000 contract and vowed he could become a pass-catching tight end despite having never caught more than 18 passes in four previous seasons.

Wiggins, who missed two games because of a broken hand, finished with 71 catches for 705 yards and four touchdowns.

The Vikings brought free agent tight end Freddie Jones in for a visit on Tuesday. With Wiggins signed, the Vikings no longer are interested in Jones.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5281325.html

725893[/snapback]

That's awesome news as well, thanks.

I didn't realize Smoot plagiarized.  What a chump.  I now hope Roy Williams and Charles Rogers give him a rude welcome to the NFC Norris...

725734[/snapback]

Don't forget everyone's favorite Javon Walker.

Not that we couldn't use him, but he was our last choice before the injured Law and a trade for Surtain. PLEASE trade for Surtain, Carla.

725974[/snapback]

Preach it, brother!

I didn't realize Smoot plagiarized.  What a chump.  I now hope Roy Williams and Charles Rogers give him a rude welcome to the NFC Norris...

725734[/snapback]

Don't forget everyone's favorite Javon Walker.

726047[/snapback]

:D:D