James trade looking more likely

Jackass

We might look at Edgerrin as a top producer, but most NFL teams look at him as a guy fast approaching 30 with a history of knee problems.  From what I've seen in the last ten years, teams generally would prefer getting the young runner in the draft and take their chances. 

728781[/snapback]

I think this nails it and is why will you never, ever nowadays see a veteran RB traded for a 1st round pick. If a team wants a RB that badly, It just makes more sense in the long term to roll the dice and pick one with the 1st rounder.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this nails it and is why will you never, ever nowadays see a veteran RB traded for a 1st round pick.  If a team wants a RB that badly, It just makes more sense in the long term to roll the dice and pick one with the 1st rounder.

729321[/snapback]

I completely see that point of view. But I also think back to teams drafting Curtis Enis, Ron Dayne, Ki-Jana Carter, Thomas Jones, Rashaun Salaam, etc. Sometimes taking a proven 26 yr old back IS worth the risk. . .

I would rather have someone proven than take a risk on someone who may or may not have the talent to succeed, is a head case or might turn out injury prone.

Edge has had a significant injury but he has shown he can be a team player and not *** about getting more touches and he successfully became a top 5 RB. And with a few more redzone touches he would have been a top FF RB also.

Chook nailed with those RB draft busts; you can add Lawrence Phillips and William Green to that list.......

I completely see that point of view.  But I also think back to teams drafting Curtis Enis, Ron Dayne, Ki-Jana Carter, Thomas Jones, Rashaun Salaam, etc.  Sometimes taking a proven 26 yr old back IS worth the risk. . .

729323[/snapback]

Three of those have been with the Bears....... :D

Three of those have been with the Bears....... :D

729420[/snapback]

Technically, only two of them were, as the Bears didn't draft Jones. And Jones was relatively productive last year, especially considering that there was no passing game around him.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Technically, only two of them were, as the Bears didn't draft Jones.  And Jones was relatively productive last year, especially considering that there was no passing game around him.

729548[/snapback]

He actually did an amazing job considering the passing game.

The first step in Edgerrin James' possible relocation has been taken: The Indianapolis Colts, unwilling to give their career rushing leader a long-term contract, are receptive to a trade.

It figures to have been the easiest step in the process.

Now comes the task of locating a team willing to meet the Colts' compensatory requirements and, perhaps most difficult, a team willing to meet James' financial demands for a long-term contract.

The two issues go hand-in-hand. Minus synchronization of each, James, the Colts' "franchise" player, might once again be positioned in the team's backfield come September, the trade talk a distant memory.

According to Drew Rosenhaus, James' agent, the Colts won't necessarily be demanding a first-round draft pick in exchange for their three-time Pro Bowl tailback. That development undoubtedly caught the attention of teams in need of a marquee running back, in James' case one who won't turn 27 until August and has two league rushing titles on his resume.

James admitted last week he wants "to get a nice deal." He might be looking for something similar to what running back Clinton Portis pried out of the Washington Redskins last year as part of a trade that sent "franchised" cornerback Champ Bailey to Denver -- a seven-year, $51 million deal.

The Colts likely lowered their trade demands for James after surveying an NFL landscape that seems to be saturated with high-priced running backs. Also available are Seattle's Shaun Alexander, another franchise player who has been given permission to seek a trade, and Buffalo's Travis Henry. There are only a handful of teams desperate for a big-time running back.

Here's a look at a few who might have an interest in James:

Arizona

The Cardinals meet all the requirements for a deal -- a need at running back, trade ammunition in the form of draft picks in the upper portion of each round and sufficient cap space to accommodate James.

Coach Dennis Green continues to rebuild Arizona's dilapidated offense. He's got two big-play receivers in Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, and signed former two-time NFL MVP quarterback Kurt Warner earlier this month. All that's missing is a running back. On the heels of Emmitt Smith's retirement, the team's leading returning rusher is Troy Hambrick.

What might nix this possibility is Arizona opting to use the eighth overall pick in the draft on a running back.

Miami

It makes perfect sense considering James' South Florida ties, except for the fact Miami lacks draft-pick clout and has salary-cap issues. The Dolphins possess the second overall pick in the April 23-24 draft, but aren't likely to part with it. Moreover, they traded their second-rounder to Philadelphia last year for quarterback A.J. Feeley.

At the combine earlier this month, first-year coach Nick Saban acknowledged "if the opportunity ever presented itself for (James) to be a member of our team, it would be certainly something that we would look into . . . " Perhaps, but Saban reportedly prefers to resurrect the franchise by focusing on the draft. A deal for James, which could include a mid-round pick and a veteran defensive player such as cornerback Patrick Surtain, might undermine that approach.

Tampa Bay

The Bucs' running game ranked No. 29 a year ago and might struggle again in 2005 if they don't upgrade their offensive line. James would fit nicely into Tampa Bay's revamped offense. The major stumbling block: money. Tampa Bay still must clear approximately $5 million just for the draft.

Maybe Tampa Bay would try to catch the Colts' attention with a draft pick and cornerback Ronde Barber.

San Francisco

Again, the necessary components are available to make it work. The 49ers possess 11 picks in the draft, including the first in each round. They also have adequate cap space and a need to improve their rushing attack. It ranked No. 30 in the league a year ago as leading rusher Kevan Barlow finished with 822 yards and averaged just 3.4 yards per carry.

If the Colts wanted to recoup a running back in the bargain, Barlow would likely be available.

link

zzzzz.  With Manning going off for 49 TD's, I don't see an outcry soon.  Plus, as I've said a hundred times, Manning contract is VERY cap friendly for the first 4 years. . .

729318[/snapback]

Right. And Manning & Indy will likely agree to a restructuring of the contract before the cap hit gets too onerous. So as long as Peyton is productive, this is a non-issue - but don't tell that to the media. :D

Dan Patrick just reported on his radio show that he's heard whispers of the Bears talking with the Colts about a possible trade. He also mentioned the Cardinals rumor. James is going to be on his show later on and he stated he's going to ask him where he wants to play. I'll update if there is anything substantial to report.

I wasn't able to catch the portion of the show with Edge on. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus was on as well. Here's some highlights they posted on the Web site under Guests.

1. Edgerrin James, Colts&for now: Where would you like to play next year? "It does not matter. Wherever I go, I will contribute and make the best of the situation." Why did you characterize the team as dysfunctional, "Because everybody wants the ball. It was like a funny thing. Me and Reggie, you know, we laugh and joke."

2. Drew Rosenhaus, agent for Edgerrin James: Edgerrin asked to call you to find out what teams are interested in acquiring him. "Let me turn it around Dan. We are interested in Edgerrin playing for the Dolphins, the Bucs, the Cardinals, the 49ers and potentially for the Chicago Bears, Houston and Cleveland. Those are the teams we think are interested in having Edgerrin James on their roster." Give us an idea as to how much it will cost to sign Edgerrin? "We negotiated the Portis deal for $50 million, so we would like to be in the upper echelon of running backs in the NFL.

Link

There's not a snowball's chance in hell the Colts trade him to Houston.

730793[/snapback]

To borrow from a Sean Connery ~ James Bond comeback......Never Say Never.

But I agree that it's highly doubtful.

Running back is a weird position in the NFL.  Everyone agrees they are one of the most important positions, but no one is willing to trade much to get one.

Marshall Faulk was traded for a 2nd and a 5th the year after he had 1,000+ yards rushing and 1,000+ yards recieving in one season.  That was a rare feat, I think only matched one other time by Roger Craig back in the eighties.  That qualified Faulk as a verifiable stud at the time, though he had a history of leg injuries in the years prior to his last year with the Colts.  

Runners rule in fantasy football; they are worth their weight in gold.  In the NFL, they just are not that coveted.  Every NFL team thinks they've got a top runner, or at least can draft a younger, healthier one.  I think it's because runners tend to wear out quicker than other positions. 

We might look at Edgerrin as a top producer, but most NFL teams look at him as a guy fast approaching 30 with a history of knee problems.  From what I've seen in the last ten years, teams generally would prefer getting the young runner in the draft and take their chances.  So I believe Polian when he says that the Colts would trade Edgerrin for less than a 1st rounder.  What reason would he have to say that, if he didn't mean it?  Unless Rosenhaus is making it up, but we would have heard an outcry from the Colts by now if that were the case.

I wonder if this isn't the inevitable result of Manning's $33 million signing bonus, or whatever it was.   I'm predicting one of the favorite media stories about the Colts in the next couple of years will be that Manning's contract is crippling the Colts' chances of building a legitimate Superbowl threat.  If Edgerrin has to go for salary cap reasons, that will probably start the media buzz right there.

728781[/snapback]

Slow down, slow down, Edge is only twenty freakin six! As a Vikings fan, I would give up the 1.18 for him. Provided I could trade one or two of our RB's for some more D. Just my take.

Edited by dcdietz@usfamily.net

How can you be fast approaching 30 at 26 years of age? In football terms 4 years is a long long time. It's amazing to think 5 years ago the Patriots had zero championships to their name, Bill Belichik was a failure as a coach in Cleveland and the Patriots came in last in their division with a 5-11 record.

26 years of age is the prime time to have a skill player............

Edge is a great back and would be a steal for anyone who trades for him. Teams are going to pay premium money for good players. So why not get a great player for your money?? Teams overpay players constantly in free agency just to fill voids. Look at Jonas Jennings. Edge will get big $ from somebody following a trade.

Being a good runner aside, Edge blocks extremely well, catches the ball well out of the backfield, and is still young. I'd like to see the Cards get him. They could be awesome next year.

He actually did an amazing job considering the passing game.

729553[/snapback]

I expect him to do even better with Grossman back and Muhsin added to the offense...

especially if the defense plays as well as it did early on last year....

chemistry shouldn't be a problem anymore...especially with the talent they have on OL...they should be comfortable by now..

BY GARY MYERS and RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

"There are four words a professional athlete never utters: "Take my money ... please."

The Jets' Chad Pennington just changed that.

Pennington wanted so much to be reunited with wide receiver Laveranues Coles that, when early trade talks stalled because of Coles' contract demands, the quarterback approached the Jets and volunteered to take a $2 million pay cut, multiple sources told the Daily News yesterday. In effect, he was willing to pay Coles out of his own pocket.

In the end, Pennington and the Jets got their man, reacquiring Coles from the Redskins in exchange for wide receiver Santana Moss. The trade became official Wednesday, when Coles passed his physical and signed a new five-year, $25 million contract that includes a $5 million signing bonus.

Pennington's "donation" wasn't immediately necessary, but his proposal still was on the table as of yesterday. The Jets are strongly considering his offer because of the salary cap benefits, sources said, although it may not be addressed until the offseason slows in late spring.

The trade might have died if it weren't for Pennington's unprecedented gesture, sources said.

On Feb. 25, the Jets and Redskins agreed to the swap, but it got bogged down when Jets officials refused to yield to Coles' insistence on a new contract with a signing bonus. One source said the edict came from billionaire owner Woody Johnson, who didn't want to sweeten the pot.

Coles still had five years remaining on a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Redskins - the deal that lured him away from the Jets as a restricted free agent in 2003.

When Pennington got wind of the breakdown in talks, he acted unilaterally, presenting his give-back plan to the Jets, sources said. Some believe his initiative prompted the Jets to reopen the talks.

He told friends that he did it in the interest of winning, and that he felt Coles would be a tremendous addition. One of Pennington's concerns was that, if the trade had been executed without the new contract, it would've made Coles unhappy and a potential distraction.

Pennington couldn't be reached for comment.

Pennington and Coles, both drafted in 2000, became fast friends. In 2002, they were regarded as one of the up-and-coming quarterback/receiver tandems in the NFL. Pennington was almost distraught when Coles took the money and ran to Washington.

Financially, Pennington has the resources to take a pay cut. Before the '04 season, he signed a seven-year, $64 million contract extension. On March 31, he's due to receive $10 million - a deferred signing-bonus payment ($8 million) and a roster bonus ($2 million).

Still, when was the last time an athlete gave up money without being pressured?

"I've never heard of anything like this," one agent said. "It's bizarre."

In the NFL, it's commonplace for the highest-paid players to restructure their contracts to help the team create salary-cap room, but they never lose any money in the transaction. In most cases, their base salary is converted into a signing bonus. Players accept outright pay cuts only when they're being threatened with a pink slip.

Coles has told Pennington he doesn't want him to take a pay cut on his behalf, sources said.

Pennington's offer shows his unselfish, team-first approach, but he unwittingly may have opened a can of worms. That he felt compelled to step forward raises questions about management's commitment.

This may explain why Coles, speaking to reporters Wednesday night, was reluctant to discuss Pennington's involvement in the process.

"Any time you have a quarterback like Chad Pennington at the helm," Coles said, "who wouldn't want to come and play for him?"

Originally published on March 11, 2005"

I wonder if Peyton or Marvin would do that to keep Edge? :D

How can you be fast approaching 30 at 26 years of age?  In football terms 4 years is a long long time.  It's amazing to think 5 years ago the Patriots had zero championships to their name, Bill Belichik was a failure as a coach in Cleveland and the Patriots came in last in their division with a 5-11 record.

26 years of age is the prime time to have a skill player............

731144[/snapback]

I actually figured Edgerrin was a couples of years older. I looked it up and stand corrected. He'll turn twenty seven in training camp. Certainly, he's in his prime. I wish I could say the same.

Not baiting anybody here...

but since my theory that teams might want a younger guy with less wear-and-tear isn't getting any traction...

and regardless of the fact that most people in this forum would take Edgerrin over an unproven 1st round runner...

the Colts' brass seems to assume that Edgerrin isn't worth a 1st rounder to NFL teams, so...

What are other peoples' theories about the Colts' assumption that teams won't be interested in trading a 1st for Edgerrin?

Edited by Tagliaboohoo

I actually figured Edgerrin was a couples of years older.  I looked it up and stand corrected.  He'll turn twenty seven in training camp.  Certainly, he's in his prime.  I wish I could say the same. 

Not baiting anybody here...

but since my theory that teams might want a younger guy with less wear-and-tear isn't getting any traction...

and regardless of the fact that most people in this forum would take Edgerrin over an unproven 1st round runner...

the Colts' brass seems to assume that Edgerrin isn't worth a 1st rounder to NFL teams, so...

What are other peoples' theories about the Colts' assumption that teams won't be interested in trading a 1st for Edgerrin?

731485[/snapback]

It's not a theory. RB's just don't attract a 1st round pick in the NFL. Look at how long Henry has been dangled. Even Alexander can't draw a good offer. Both Edge and Alexander will hit thier new team's salary cap hard. Teams are paying much more for O lineman than they used to. Used to be a linebacker, and RB, QB and maybe a WR would soak up half the salary money, but no more. Teams are also looking at how the Pats continue to cut thier best, and highest paid players and continue to win.

The Pats spread thier money around, and have good, if not great players at almost every position. They have depth. Tying up too much money in just a few players, is at least for the moment, something that most teams just wont do now. Minnesota got rid of Moss. Now, with the exception of CPep, one injury wont kill thier chances of winning. They have been getting good players at several positions instead of relying on just Moss.

One other point.... niether Edge or Alexander are very good at the goal line, and short yardage situations, when compared to some other "elite" RB's. But, both will whine LOUDLY if they get pulled in those short yardage situations.

One other point.... niether Edge or Alexander are very good at the goal line, and short yardage situations, when compared to some other "elite" RB's. But, both will whine LOUDLY if they get pulled in those short yardage situations.

731507[/snapback]

Well I think everyone remembers the Manning/Edge threads from the past season. How many threads did we have about Manning throwing down inside the 10 or 5 yards line.

I don't recall ever hearing Edge complaining..........