[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James trade looking more likely

Jackass

I don't recall ever hearing Edge complaining..........

731545[/snapback]

But you sure did hear us Edge owners whine.......

It went something like this...That dang Manning :D ...What a Greedy Bastage!........... :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Edge didnt complain, but he wasnt yanked by Dungy to give the rock to another RB there, and that is what I'm talking about. I've seen Edge and Alexander get stuffed an awful lot in short yardage. Manning will do what he needs to do do score. Because Edge sucks inside the five, unless he has a Grand Canyon hole to run through, Manning throws, instead. You dont think Egde would go ballistic if he got pulled the way Sanders used to get pulled at the goal line?

Tiki is better than both of these two backs at the goal line, and he is hardly a power RB. Holmes is better too. I could go on, i'm just pointing out that both of these guys have shortcomings, and will cost a ton of money against the cap.

No, Edge didnt complain, but he wasnt yanked by Dungy to give the rock to another RB there, and that is what I'm talking about. I've seen Edge and Alexander get stuffed an awful lot in short yardage. Manning will do what  he needs to do do score. Because Edge sucks inside the five, unless he has a Grand Canyon hole to run through, Manning throws, instead. You dont think Egde would go ballistic if he got pulled the way Sanders used to get pulled at the goal line?

Tiki is better than both of these two backs at the goal line, and he is hardly a power RB.  Holmes is better too. I could go on, i'm just pointing out that both of these guys have shortcomings, and will cost a ton of money against the cap.

731597[/snapback]

I don't know about Alexander, but it's not fair to say Edge is a poor Goal Line back. Did you watch the Indy games? I watched everyone I could for two years in a row.

To begin with, the Indy O'Line is (or was) great at straight up pass protection and blocking off play action. But when called upon to go mano eh mano, up the gut power football.....uhhhh....no! Also there seemed to be an extreme lack of imaginative playcalling at the Goal Line, if it was to be a hand off to Edge.

I used to literally scream at the TV in those situations, "Don't run it up the gut again!!! Give Edge a sweep or toss, please for the love of Mike, just call one sweep or toss".

And the call would be.....drum roll please.....straight up the gut!

F'n brilliant :D

The one or two times a sweep was called for Edge at the Goal Line, he'd waltz in untouched.

It was unbelievable :D

You might be right about it being more the fault of the O line being unable to move the pile.... that is what I remember, Edge goin up the gut for nada. But, I still say that is the weakest part of his game, taking it up the middle in short yardage, he just doesnt possess that sort of power. I dont expect him to gain 3 yards with no hole, like a Bettis, but one yard shouldnt be too much to ask for.

Man I guess we see things completely differently but whenever I see Edge I would say the best part of his game is that he breaks tackles well. He usually can shed the first tackler and get those 1 and 2 extra yards that puts the offense in 2nd and 6 instead of 2nd and 8. I know there is a stat manager somewhere that shows RB's and how many yards they get after contact.

Edge is just highlighted because of those goal line stands against New England where he fumbled and he got stuffed. But I would credit (or discredit) more to his O-line. IMO when you are down inside the 5 there aren't many RB's that are going to run through 3 or 4 stacked defenders. If you're O-line can't at least prevent penetration from the defense then you aren't going anywhere.

Everytime the Colts are trying short yardage running plays I see Edge dodging defenders in his own backfield; not meeting them at least at the line of scrimmage.............

One other point.... niether Edge or Alexander are very good at the goal line, and short yardage situations, when compared to some other "elite" RB's. But, both will whine LOUDLY if they get pulled in those short yardage situations.

731507[/snapback]

Huh? Alexander is great as a goal line back. Edge has not been as good the last couple years, but it has a lot more to do with the Colts not having "smash-mouth" style blockers and unimaginative play-calling than anything he is doing.

Being on the east coast, I have to say I rarely get a chance to see Alexander on the tube, especially in NY, where we get nothing BUT Jet and Giant games. Edge I have seen more of, but the Hawks homers have complained so much about how easilly he goes down, and especially all that was said about his "one yard short" game, it certainly seems to me he's not a dynamic goal line/ short yardage back by any stretch.

So, I'm not about to sit here and try to say my opinion is 100% solid. I dont see either of them enough to be so sure of it, but from what I HAVE seen, this is the impression I'm left with. I do rely, in a big way, on what I read from homers on the boards. The media will rarely criticise RB's like that, especially the national media.

So, disagree with me, that is a good thing, it softens my negative opinion at least somewhat. That is why forums, namely the Huddle are so useful. In any case, the bottom line remains.... these guys cost big bucks, and few teams are willing to pay the piper for them.

I actually figured Edgerrin was a couples of years older.  I looked it up and stand corrected.  He'll turn twenty seven in training camp.  Certainly, he's in his prime.  I wish I could say the same. 

Not baiting anybody here...

but since my theory that teams might want a younger guy with less wear-and-tear isn't getting any traction...

and regardless of the fact that most people in this forum would take Edgerrin over an unproven 1st round runner...

the Colts' brass seems to assume that Edgerrin isn't worth a 1st rounder to NFL teams, so...

What are other peoples' theories about the Colts' assumption that teams won't be interested in trading a 1st for Edgerrin?

731485[/snapback]

I think teams have a tough time giving up a first rounder because not only do they give up youth, but Edge and SA both want long term spendy deals. That is a tough decision, but I think it's worth it.

My take

Edited by dcdietz@usfamily.net

The Colts have plenty of cap room available this year as well.  That's why they'll just keep Edge and have him play for the one year tender if they don't get an offer they want.  And dealing Wayne AND Edge is a deal they don't want.  No way.  Horrible trade.  The Colts would laugh at that offer.  Losing Edge and Wayne for Westbrook?  LOL!

727555[/snapback]

The point is, if Edge doesn't sign the tender before draft day...the colts will be looking to push him out of town for the best offer they can get for the "team". Which means immediate impact, because they are aiming to win now, not in the future.

The thought of Reggie Wayne was wishful thinking. However, in order for Ried to pull the trigger, it would have to be worth it to him. With Wayne locked up and about 14 million left to work with...Edge could get the 4 year deal he wants.And trust me...He has hired the Scott Boras of the NFL. A very stubborn agent who will work til' he gets his client "exactly what he wants".

Anyone who took exception with Edgerrin James' characterization of the Indianapolis Colts' offense as a "dysfunctional" family along the lines of the Jackson Five can't take a joke, James said.

Because that's what the team's career rushing leader insists his recent comments to SI.com were.

"It wasn't in a bad way or whatever," James said Friday during an interview on ESPN Radio's "Dan Patrick Show." "Any time you've got a high-powered offense . . . it's like everybody wants the ball. We just wish we could get the ball more.

"It was like a funny thing. It was a fun-and-games thing because me and Reggie (Wayne), we sit up there and laugh and joke all the time."

It's only natural, James added, for "competitive people" to want to be more involved in the offense. Sometimes, that offense is too explosive for its own good.

"We go at it like a machine. It flows so easy," James said. "That's when you say . . . you wish the field was longer, sometimes you wish they had a fifth quarter or whatever.

"Sometimes you get out there and you don't even break a sweat when you score so fast."

So, the chemistry is good among all those high-profile players?

"If there was a problem," James said, "we wouldn't be moving up and down the field like that."

Before clarifying his "dysfunctional" description, James reaffirmed his desire to secure a long-term contract from some team. The Colts designated him their "franchise" player last month and earlier this week informed James' agent they will be unable to offer him a multi-year deal to replace the one-year, $8.08 million "tag."

A possible resolution is a trade.

"It really don't matter with me," James said. "I can play ball wherever. It's only a six-month job. It's pretty easy to go for six months.

"If there is an opportunity where I can get somewhere and . . . I can get a deal and get myself settled in for the next five, six years, I prefer that."

link