[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Williams

Seahawks21

I can't believe how lucky the Jacksonville fans are for being able to watch this guy every single game. What an impact this guy has on the field, simply dominant. After a tremendous rookie season cemented his place in the world of superstardom, no doubt he's doing one handed pushups right now staring at an old poster of Jerry Rice as a 49er. "I'm comin for ya Jerry, HAHAHAHAH!!!"

Take a wild guess who's stats these are. Pretty impressive don't you think?

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD 
1992 Dallas Cowboys 7 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0 
1993 Dallas Cowboys 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0 
1994 Dallas Cowboys 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0 
1995 Jacksonville Jaguars 16 4 22 288 13.1 33 3 5 0 12 

Sorry for the format, I didn't feel like fixing it..you get the point anyway.

I can't believe how lucky the Jacksonville fans are for being able to watch this guy every single game.  What an impact this guy has on the field, simply dominant.  After a tremendous rookie season cemented his place in the world of superstardom, no doubt he's doing one handed pushups right now staring at an old poster of Jerry Rice as a 49er.  "I'm comin for ya Jerry, HAHAHAHAH!!!"

731163[/snapback]

Catches: 27

Yards: 268

Avg: 9.9

TD: 1

Yep. Tremendous. :D

Take a wild guess who's stats these are. Pretty impressive don't you think?

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD 1992 Dallas Cowboys 7 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0 1993 Dallas Cowboys 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0 1994 Dallas Cowboys 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0 1995 Jacksonville Jaguars 16 4 22 288 13.1 33 3 5 0 12 

Sorry for the format, I didn't feel like fixing it..you get the point anyway.

731273[/snapback]

I assume those were Jimmy Smith's but understand he was an injury problem his entire stay in Dallas and almost retired from football before he ever got to the Jaguars. He was not only cut from the Cowboys, he was picked up by the Eagles and later released in 1994. He had an appendectomy and something else as I recall.

Smith actually has two superbowl rings from his time in Dallas.

I assume those were Jimmy Smith's but understand he was an injury problem his entire stay in Dallas and almost retired from football before he ever got to the Jaguars. He was not only cut from the Cowboys, he was picked up by the Eagles and later released in 1994. He had an appendectomy and something else as I recall.

Smith actually has two superbowl rings from his time in Dallas.

731526[/snapback]

Still the numbers are not far off from Smith's first season with Jax. But my point is, it's ignorant to call someone a bust or even imply that after one season. Every WR to come out of college is not Randy Moss.

Still the numbers are not far off from Smith's first season with Jax. But my point is, it's ignorant to call someone a bust or even imply that after one season. Every WR to come out of college is not Randy Moss.

731645[/snapback]

But Smith already had trained for 3 years with an NFL team when he had arrived in JAX. Williams is not conisidered a bust in JAX, but he is not expected to suddenly explode this year and he was considered a disappointment last year.

I'm not saying he won't develop into a good receiver, but his first year returns were pretty bad considering he was drafted as the third overall receiver taken last year (only Fitzgerald and Roy Williams went higher) and he was taken with the 1.09 pick. His numbers from a top ten pick in the draft are certainly considered a bust for his rookie year.

Here are the numbers from all the rookie receivers last season, sorted by fantasy points:

#	PLAYER	NFL	FPTS1	Michael Clayton	TB	1642	Lee Evans                 BUF	1483	Roy Williams	DET	1294	Larry Fitzgerald	ARI	1275	Keary Colbert	CAR	1056	Clarence Moore	BAL	537	Darius Watts	DEN	478	Ernest Wilford	JAX	399	Bernard Berrian	CHI	3810	Reggie Williams	JAX	3211	Rashaun Woods	SF	2212	Patrick Crayton	DAL	1913	Samie Parker	KC	1914	Jamaar Taylor	NYG	1415	Michael Jenkins	ATL	1216	Jerricho Cotchery	NYJ	617	Triandos Luke	DEN	518	Johnnie Morant	OAK	219	Carlos Francis	OAK	020	Devard Darling	BAL	0

What is more telling is that he actually played in 14 games. Of rookie wideouts that played in at least 14 games, he came in 10th out of 10 players

Consider the fantasy points per play that went to him and you get this:

#	PLAYER                 NFL           FP/Gm1	Lee Evans                 BUF	1.92	Patrick Crayton	DAL	1.43	Samie Parker	KC	1.44	Michael Clayton	TB	1.35	Ernest Wilford	JAX	1.16	Rashaun Woods	SF	1.17	Keary Colbert	CAR	1.18	Roy Williams	DET	1.19	Larry Fitzgerald	ARI	1.110	Johnnie Morant	OAK	1.011	Clarence Moore	BAL	1.012	Darius Watts	DEN	0.813	Bernard Berrian	CHI	0.714	Michael Jenkins	ATL	0.715	Jamaar Taylor	NYG	0.716	Triandos Luke	DEN	0.617	Reggie Williams	JAX	0.618	Jerricho Cotchery	NYJ	0.519	Carlos Francis	OAK	0.020	Devard Darling	BAL	0.0

If you want to consider the yards per catch of all rookie wideouts:

#	PLAYER	NFL	Yd/Cat1	Jamaar Taylor	NYG	24.32	Rashaun Woods	SF	22.93	Johnnie Morant	OAK	20.04	Lee Evans                 BUF	17.65	Michael Jenkins	ATL	17.06	Keary Colbert	CAR	16.07	Samie Parker	KC	15.28	Roy Williams	DET	15.19	Bernard Berrian	CHI	15.010	Michael Clayton	TB	14.911	Ernest Wilford	JAX	14.312	Larry Fitzgerald	ARI	13.413	Darius Watts	DEN	12.414	Clarence Moore	BAL	12.215	Patrick Crayton	DAL	12.016	Jerricho Cotchery	NYJ	10.017	Reggie Williams	JAX	9.918	Triandos Luke	DEN	8.719	Devard Darling	BAL	2.520	Carlos Francis	OAK	0.0

By pretty much any measure you want to use, Williams was a bust last year considering what a #9 overall pick is expected to produce and what those receivers after him were able to do.

Again, I'm not saying he cannot develop into a good receiver. It's just that he wasn't a very good one in his first attempt and the only thing that suggests that he will later develop is that he was so successful in college.

Comparing Reggie Williams to Jimmy Smith is really apple and oranges to me. Comparing him to other rookie wideouts last year is more relevant and he doesn't stack up very well by that measure.

Since I bothered with it, here are all the numbers from all the rookie wideouts last year that had at least one catch:

#	PLAYER	GP	Tar	Cat	Yd	TD1	Michael Clayton	16	121	80	1193	72	Lee Evans	16	72	48	843	93	Roy Williams	14	119	54	817	84	Larry Fitzgerald	16	112	58	780	85	Keary Colbert	15	96	47	754	56	Darius Watts	16	55	31	385	17	Clarence Moore	14	54	24	293	48	Ernest Wilford	15	35	19	271	29	Reggie Williams	14	55	27	268	110	Bernard Berrian	15	44	15	225	211	Rashaun Woods	7	20	7	160	112	Jamaar Taylor	6	19	6	146	013	Samie Parker	3	14	9	137	114	Patrick Crayton	5	14	11	132	115	Michael Jenkins	8	16	7	119	016	Jerricho Cotchery	6	12	6	60	017	Triandos Luke	2	8	6	52	018	Johnnie Morant	2	2	1	20	019	Devard Darling	1	2	2	5	020	Carlos Francis	1	2	0	0	0

You can't argue with the stats.  I loved seeing Ernest Wilford's name listed above Reggie Williams on every stat.  Good job DMD

731702[/snapback]

It is pretty telling when he is outplayed by a fellow rookie on the same team that was taken with the 4.24 pick in the draft - not the 9th overall pick. It was somewhat shocking to see JAX prefer Wilford over Williams.

By pretty much any measure you want to use, Williams was a bust last year considering what a #9 overall pick is expected to produce and what those receivers after him were able to do.

Again, I'm not saying he cannot develop into a good receiver. It's just that he wasn't a very good one in his first attempt and the only thing that suggests that he will later develop is that he was so successful in college.

Obviously, very special receivers are able to develop their game very quickly early in their careers, but in general, I just don't think rookie stats are all that relevant for a WR. I can do some number crunching to verify this perception, but I can't at this particular moment...

Edited by godtomsatan

Until the last ten years or so, rookie receivers would almost always not even play in their first season. It is perhaps the hardest position to master on the offense outside of QB. But due to the salary cap and player movement, WR's are getting much earlier play since teams cannot wait 2 or 3 years to develop players only to lose them in their 4th year.

HAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHH!!! I cannot believe my idiotic Reggie Williams banter created all of this!! I am thoroughly amused guys, great work.

oh yeah---you guys may think such things as yards and catches may be important, but you guys underestimated the true stat of greatness....thats right.....2-point conversions!!! look it up boys!!

HAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHH!!!  I cannot believe my idiotic Reggie Williams banter created all of this!!  I am thoroughly amused guys, great work. 

732080[/snapback]

So what you're saying is, you played "The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf!" with us.

Then you immediately follow the above, with this;

oh yeah---you guys may think such things as yards and catches may be important, but you guys underestimated the true stat of greatness....thats right.....2-point conversions!!!  look it up boys!!

732080[/snapback]

Me thinks you've never heard the expression, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, Shame on me."

While I'm glad that fellow Huddlers, including DMD, were able to provide you with some amusement on your fishing trip, I think you'll now find that you've shot yourself in the foot on this message board, as far as getting any serious, well thought out replies, to any future threads you start.

Credible, or not, from now on, the suspicion will always be that any thread started by Seahawks21, is probably just bull manure.

Ahhhh, let's face it. As a Seahawks fan what else does he have to do while waiting for the other shoe to drop? Holmgren has held that city hostage for years now and the faithful sheep just keep lining up!! This is your year Seahawk fans!!! heh heh heh......

So what you're saying is, you played "The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf!" with us.

Then you immediately follow the above, with this;

Me thinks you've never heard the expression, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, Shame on me."

While I'm glad that fellow Huddlers, including DMD, were able to provide you with some amusement on your fishing trip, I think you'll now find that you've shot yourself in the foot on this message board, as far as getting any serious, well thought out replies, to any future threads you start.

Credible, or not, from now on, the suspicion will always be that any thread started by Seahawks21, is probably just bull manure.

732100[/snapback]

Awwww, come on Big Score, its ok to have a lil fun with the message board, ain't gonna hurt ya. I mean, seriously, I created a post about how Reggie Williams is chasing Jerry Rice, because everybody knows how much of a Reggie Williams homer I am, and because he had such a lackluster season, I offered myself up for some ribbing here. People actually took me seriously and ran with it. Gotta love it