Browns sign Chester Taylor

KevinL

Heard on the radio the Browns signed Ravens RB Chester Taylor to an offer sheet. I think it was around $3 million / year? Could be wrong. If the Ravens don't match it, they get a 6th round pick from Cleveland.

I guess (Browns GM & ex Ravens assistant GM) Savage liked the guy.

I really like Chester Taylor, but not for $3 million.

I wouldn't think the Browns (or anyone) would be this high on him. Obvious sign Green is gone.

The Ravens have Jamal Lewis and Musa Smith. Smith is coming off a serious leg injury (broken). Ravens now have issues regarding their RB depth. I figure they'll draft someone, maybe even on day one. Jamal is a workhorse, and those break down suddenly (Jamal Anderson, Stephen Davis). They need to have a guy around instead of picking up a Terry Allen like temporary fix.

I like the move. Trading Green for Taylor...who knows, maybe Green'll turn in to something but it ain't gonna happen here...another Davis first rounder down the tubes...

As another Lewis owner, I'm glad Chester is gone. Smith is a slasher, not a power back like Lewis or Chester. Maybe Lewis has to stay in the stinkin game now, after he runs the ball 40 yards on 5 carries to get inside the twenty.

This tells me a few things;

#1) Wee Willie Green is definitely gone :D

#2) If the Ravens don't match, the Browns will not be using their 1st rounder on a RB. Most likely they'll pick a QB (Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers) to groom, while Trent Dufus holds down the fort

#3) Suggs is looking better & better. If you happen to have him in a dynasty league, he's probably going to pay off for you this year. In a redraft, he's got to be moving up peoples draft boards. If you hold early drafts, I'd say a late 3rd to 4th rounder is reasonable. If you can get him later, he represents real value IMO.

This tells me a few things;

#1) Wee Willie Green is definitely gone :D

#2) If the Ravens don't match, the Browns will not be using their 1st rounder on a RB. Most likely they'll pick a QB (Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers) to groom, while Trent Dufus holds down the fort

#3) Suggs is looking better & better. If you happen to have him in a dynasty league, he's probably going to pay off for you this year. In a redraft, he's got to be moving up peoples draft boards. If you hold early drafts, I'd say a late 3rd to 4th rounder is reasonable. If you can get him later, he represents real value IMO.

738675[/snapback]

1+2 yes

3 maybe

Good explanations either way :D

I'm probably going to get hammered on for this, but I think William Green still has the skills to be a productive player. The Browns O-Line sucked BAD :D

Plus, they couldn't throw the ball and had garbage talent on offense. I'm not certain but I do think Green had a higher ypc average than Suggs last year. He'll get an opportunity elsewhere, and I wouldn't be suprised if he's productive.

I'm probably going to get hammered on for this, but I think William Green still has the skills to be a productive player. The Browns O-Line sucked BAD  :D

Plus, they couldn't throw the ball and had garbage talent on offense. I'm not certain but I do think Green had a higher ypc average than Suggs last year. He'll get an opportunity elsewhere, and I wouldn't be suprised if he's productive.

742171[/snapback]

I think they had about the same ypc, but the proof in the pudding so to speak, was when Butch Davis was shown the door and Robeskie took over.

The RBBC was out the door, as Robeskie went exclusively to Suggs playing behind that shaky O'line, with zip, nanda & nothing for a passing game.

Suggs put up 140+ yards rushing against the Phinz and 130+ yards rushing against the Texans. Everybody in the stadium (and their brother watching on TV at home) knew Suggs would be getting the ball and he still busted them in the chops.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Wee Willie Green would've been able to do that.

Edited by Big Score 1

I found this surprising.... in Clevland they are saying Taylor will compete with Suggs for the starting spot!  :D  While they have given up on Green, it appears they are not sold on Suggs, either.

742224[/snapback]

No one in Cleveland now drafted Green or Suggs. Taylor was drafted during Savage's tenure in Baltimore. The current Cleveland staff knows Taylor much better than Green/Suggs.

I found this surprising.... in Clevland they are saying Taylor will compete with Suggs for the starting spot!  :D

742224[/snapback]

I for one, think that's good. Don't forget, Taylor wasn't exactly chopped liver filling in for J. Lewis while he was suspended / injured.

Competition never hurt anyone.....unless your name happens to be William Green. :D

If Suggs wants the job, he's got to show the new staff he deserves it over Taylor. Ditto for Taylor over Suggs.

Personally, I think Suggs shows enough to keep the starters role, with Taylor being the change of pace back.

My .02 anyway.

Edited by Big Score 1

Good for Chester. He more than earned that money filling in last year.

Just wish the Ravens would have tendered him $1.5 mil instead of the $650,000 they did. The difference in compensation would have been a 1st round pick instead of a 6th. Brownies made a good move calling us on that and forcing the $3 million to be spent.

Hey Big Red, looks like you are eating your own words now...I guess your Ravens are "that high" on him.  You said earlier the Browns overpaid, but I guess were arent the ones over paying now...

745357[/snapback]

Uh, ok momo.

I still think he's not worth $3 million and havent' said any different, but I'm happy for Chester (that's a lot of money). Like I said, good move on the Browns part. Ravens made a low offer and they got called on it. Had Musa Smith been healthy, Taylor would be a Brownie.