[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Inter-Board Baseball Challenge

BeachBum

Gotta check in here to express my displeasure with adding roster spots at midnight and not telling anyone- I mean come on- by this AM all the players left had been picked over and snatched up- that is WEAK. I stay through the whole draft and then kinda get screwed by this 11th hour change- you should have waited a few days so that WE ALL knew this change was coming and then set a time to open up the new spots.....

The other thing is that there are now 11 starting spots for pitchers??? Waaay too many-

I understand that holds, etc. are additional cats., but that's all part of strategy- do you play with closers in your RP slots, MR's, or a combo- now it's just overkill- give me 3 closers and 4 MR's and hope for the best- it takes the skill out of the competetion when you have a million active roster spots IMO.

At MOST there should be 3 RP spots with 2 "P" spots and each manager would have to choose wisely on how to fill them.

My whole draft strategy was to punt saves early and snag top tier MR's to get a leg up on holds, etc. Now everyone can just play 5-6 MR's plus their closers and rack up stats, thus making the whole plan I created much less effective.

I know I am only one guy complaining, BUT how can you make structural changes to starting line-ups etc. AFTER we draft based on an entirly different set of criteria? Very poor commishing IMO- If I tried a stunt like that in my other leage where I am commish I'd be crucified. You just can't do something like that.......

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta check in here to express my displeasure with adding roster spots at midnight and not telling anyone- I mean come on- by this AM all the players left had been picked over and snatched up- that is WEAK. I stay through the whole draft and then kinda get screwed by this 11th hour change- you should have waited a few days so that WE ALL knew this change was coming and then set a time to open up the new spots.....

The other thing is that there are now 11 starting spots for pitchers??? Waaay too many-

753155[/snapback]

yeah, does change the whole complexion of the league. doing a dramatic overhaul of everything a few hours BEFORE the draft was one thing. it's sloppy, but i'm fine with that because everybody (i think) was aware of it. re-vamping the whole pitching landscape AFTER the draft is another thing. if this were a money league, it wouldn't have happened without a major fight from me.

You guys are aware that Holds were a category right? I didn't overhaul the pitching. I only added 2 spots to the starting pitching spots so that people could use their bulllpen the way it was meant to, as we had cut it back too far from the parameters that we had it set last year. So you guys are really overstating this. Plus we wanted to make sure people had plenty of room to be able to obtain the 30 innings pitched minimum each week, if they had to just walk away from their team for a reason or some such. Ok, so nobody is gonna get any kind of extra advantage. If you can't find some set up guys to get any holds, or add a couple starters or potential closers, or utility hitters, c'mon now, didn't change the rules in anyway, just made it so that all the categories, as they are meant to be to reflect the game of baseball itself, come into play in determining the winner.

Edited by dukdown

oh lord. get over it. I can't believe you guys. pick up 2 more players and be men about it. I've done everything above and beyond to contact and explain to everyone equally, here, in the e-mail, and on our board. If some player that you got beat to who would have been drafted in the 22 and 23 round is going to be the reason of your winning or losing this year, or anything of that had to do with the adjustment I made, you think is gonna cause you to lose, then you didn't have a very good plan to begin with. I still haven't picked up my 2, as I said I'd wait until Monday, and I plan on keeping that promise, and I'm going to destroy all of you this year. Look at my team. It's ridiculous how tight it is. Now show some confidence in your abilities to be able to adapt to a very minor change, and get 'r done.

You guys are aware that Holds were a category right? I didn't overhaul the pitching. I only added 2 spots to the starting pitching spots so that people could use their bulllpen the way it was meant to, as we had cut it back too far from the parameters that we had it set last year. So you guys are really overstating this. Plus we wanted to make sure people had plenty of room to be able to obtain the 30 innings pitched minimum each week, if they had to just walk away from their team for a reason or some such. Ok, so nobody is gonna get any kind of extra advantage. If you can't find some set up guys to get any holds, or add a couple starters or potential closers, or utility hitters, c'mon now, didn't change the rules in anyway, just made it so that all the categories, as they are meant to be to reflect the game of baseball itself, come into play in determining the winner.

753299[/snapback]

well aware that holds were a category- a category equally important to saves so while everyone else was drafting closers to get those precious saves I took MR's to get an advantage with HOLDS- now let's give everyone 2 more roster spots and a bunch more "active" roster spots to add some holds guys because they made the mistake of not drafting them in the first place. Give ME a break my man- You can't get to 30 innings minimum with 4 SP's and 4 RP's? That is a lame argument for adding the roster space.

Please do me a favor and give me onbe good competetitive reason for adding those spots OTHER THAN TO HELP PEOPLE FILL IN MR's? If they didn't draft 'em in the first place then they are guilty of not recognizing the rules that were in place prior to the draft- OH WELL. Not my problem...

and BTW the difference between picking up another potential MR stud like say a Ryan Madson over the slop that was left this morning when I wake up to new rule changes is a big difference- top make a change of ANY kind just after a draft is over without notifying everyone in the league and giving them equal and ample time to prepare for those changes is a friggin' joke- no matter how you slice it or try to discount it it is just fundamentally WRONG-

I am eager to hear more.....

was it a case of "oh-uh the FSW guys didn't do well with MR, maybe they didn't realize hold were in play- let's add some more slots so they can make up for that?"

I sincerley hope not.

oh lord. get over it. I can't believe you guys. pick up 2 more players and be men about it. I've done everything above and beyond to contact and explain to everyone equally, here, in the e-mail, and on our board. If some player that you got beat to who would have been drafted in the 22 and 23 round is going to be the reason of your winning or losing this year, or anything of that had to do with the adjustment I made, you think is gonna cause you to lose, then you didn't have a very good plan to begin with. I still haven't picked up my 2, as I said I'd wait until Monday, and I plan on keeping that promise, and I'm going to destroy all of you this year. Look at my team. It's ridiculous how tight it is. Now show some confidence in your abilities to be able to adapt to a very minor change, and get 'r done.

753320[/snapback]

One more thing- you didn'y do "everything above and beyond..." as you say- you could have easily waited until Monday or Tuesday to implement these changes- that would have allowed for:

1. Everyone to become aware of the proposed changes

2. Everyone to have a chance to add their input about those proposed changes.

3. Everyone to have an EQUAL (and equal is key) opportunity to prepare and deal with those changes.

I would have loved to have a shot at Madson, Reitsma, Betancourt, etc. etc. they are are very good set-up (holds) guys and potential closers down the road- not to mention that I would have drafted THEM before my last 2 bench fillers had I have know of the new 4 RP starting slots, etc.

I can go on forver, I've just never in my 12+ years of fantasy sports ever seen a commissioner act unilaterally to change rules right after a draft took place- blows my mind to say the least.

753320[/snapback]

I can't wait to kick your arse

duk, you clearly DID overhaul the pitching. and frankly, i find it kind of startling that ANY commish would pull this crap. it's incredibly sloppy. we were all aware that holds were a cat. i think we were also all aware heading into the draft that we'd have basically a max of 4 spots where we could play RPs every day. i guess we were the only ones who noticed this BEFORE the draft? this led marauders to basically not draft any big save guys and go for holds. it led me to basically not value ANY RPs very highly, and to not take ANY until late in the draft.

this is garbage, especially when you come back and defend it with this "get over it" crap. i've never seen a commish with such chit fer brains. :D

did anyone else notice that dukdown drafted SIX RPs?

753547[/snapback]

Nope but I felt something was wrong and grabbed #1+#2 on my list of RPs. To be honest with everyone even if it doesn't seem fair we need to redraft. I know this isn't the _____ thing to do but it is the fairest.

PS- I love my team and my team does not reflect on me saying this it actually makes me not want to say it :D

To be honest with everyone even if it doesn't seem fair we need to redraft.

753551[/snapback]

Are you crazy? :D

If anything, we need to drop the last couple of players we all picked up and revert our roster limits and lineups to what they were when we drafted and go from there. That seems to be the correct move to make. If after that is done we decide to add an extra bench spot or two, and maybe even an active "P" slot, that probably isn't much of an issue as long as everyone knows a day or so in advance and any additional picks are made via the waiver wire or some sort of a supplemental draft...redrafting is certainly not any kind of solution though.

Edited by Skrappy1

Yeah the changes were unexpected, but this is supposed to be for fun anyways, so who cares really? And this way. everyone complaining is on record with an excuse for why they won't win.

Aren't there more important things to get your undies in a bunch for people?

did anyone else notice that dukdown drafted SIX RPs?

753547[/snapback]

Actually, he drafted 5, waived a position player, picked up a RP (Wagner), and then added the extra spots for relievers. It might be coincidental, but either way it is still uncool. I think we should go back to they way it was set when we drafted. 11 active pitchers per team in a 16-team league is just ridiculous as well. That means we have over half the pitchers active on MLB rosters active on our fantasy teams. Overkill for sure.

Are you crazy?  :D

If anything, we need to drop the last couple of players we all picked up and revert our roster limits and lineups to what they were when we drafted and go from there.  That seems to be the correct move to make.  If after that is done we decide to add an extra bench spot or two, and maybe even an active "P" slot, that probably isn't much of an issue as long as everyone knows a day or so in advance and any additional picks are made via the waiver wire or some sort of a supplemental draft...redrafting is certainly not any kind of solution though.

753571[/snapback]

Agreed

Yeah the changes were unexpected, but this is supposed to be for fun anyways, so who cares really? And this way. everyone complaining is on record with an excuse for why they won't win.

Aren't there more important things to get your undies in a bunch for people?

753599[/snapback]

I was thinking this but if we had to redraft our whole team we could say that with our other teams we would have kicked your arses :D

Are you crazy?  :D

If anything, we need to drop the last couple of players we all picked up and revert our roster limits and lineups to what they were when we drafted and go from there.  That seems to be the correct move to make.  If after that is done we decide to add an extra bench spot or two, and maybe even an active "P" slot, that probably isn't much of an issue as long as everyone knows a day or so in advance and any additional picks are made via the waiver wire or some sort of a supplemental draft...redrafting is certainly not any kind of solution though.

753571[/snapback]

THIS is the best way to handle it- have everyone drop any player that was picked up post draft- you have only the drafted players on your roster until all the drops clear waivers and then have a mini-draft on the MB or whatever (with the selection order picking up right where we left off) say on Friday to slect players for trhe last 2 spots if they are insistent on having those last 2 spots.

I didn't know about anything going on, I pre-ranked my players on Friday afternoon and was offline until Sunday. Thank goodness Yahoo drafted all those pitchers for me.

I would like to trade a couple for some decent hitters and would like it to be mutually beneficial.