[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos trade first round pick to Redskins

The Irish Doggy

Redskins Acquire First-Round Pick

By Joseph White

Associated Press

Tuesday, April 19, 2005; 7:01 PM

Hours after declaring they wouldn't trade their ninth overall selection in Saturday's NFL draft, the Washington Redskins acquired another first-round spot, the 25th overall, from Denver on Tuesday.

The Broncos received the Redskins' third-round choice (76th overall) this year, plus Washington's first-rounder and fourth-rounder in 2006.

The trade should enable the Redskins to address dire needs at cornerback and wide receiver, both strong positions in this draft.

Earlier Tuesday, after The Washington Post reported the Redskins were discussing a trade that would send the No. 9 pick to the Oakland Raiders for cornerback Phillip Buchanon and a second-round selection, vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato issued a terse statement intended to put the story to rest.

"That is not true," Cerrato said. "We are not trading that pick."

That's not to say the Redskins aren't interested in Buchanon. An official within the league, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that the team has discussed a possible trade for Buchanon in recent days, but the official said none of the scenarios involved Washington's first-round pick. The official said the Redskins might trade a lower-round pick for Buchanon, but that no deal was imminent.

Even so, Cerrato's statement went beyond quashing the Buchanon story and ruled out any trade whatsoever for the No. 9 pick.

Cerrato was not available for further comment, but coach and team president Joe Gibbs later clarified the Redskins' position on the ninth spot.

"Right now, we've had no discussions with anyone about trading away the ninth pick," Gibbs said. "Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes. We'll consider anything, but no one has presented a compelling scenario."

In essence, statement Tuesday was a signal to the rest of the league that the Redskins do not consider Buchanon worthy of a first-round pick. Buchanon has said he is unhappy in Oakland, wants a trade, and Washington doesn't want the price tag to go too high.

Top prospects at cornerback and receiver visited Redskins Park in recent weeks. The Redskins need a cornerback to replace Fred Smoot, who departed during free agency, and a receiver is a priority because both Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner requested trades. Coles was sent to the New York Jets for Santana Moss, while Gardner is still on the market.

Also Tuesday, the Redskins re-signed Tim Hasselbeck, their lone remaining restricted free agent. Hasselbeck is expected to be the third-string quarterback again this season behind Patrick Ramsey and Mark Brunell.

And the Redskins circus continues. Who is so amazing in the bottom of this draft to give up a 1st, 3rd, and 4th?

Unless they want to package something together and move up to get Williams or Edwards? :D

Unless they want to package something together and move up to get Williams or Edwards? :D

785597[/snapback]

That's the only thing that makes any sense. Of course it does not address their secondary but nobody every accused little boy of being a forward thinker.

That's the only thing that makes any sense.  Of course it does not address their secondary but nobody every accused little boy of being a forward thinker.

785603[/snapback]

It may be that they're going to move up from the 1.9, and grab Miller, Washington, or Jackson late. Or, they may assume that one of the two top corners will fall to 1.9, and take a stab at Clayton or someone with the 1.25 . . . or they may not be done yet. There are many different ways they could play this.

Peace

policy

It may be that they're going to move up from the 1.9, and grab Miller, Washington, or Jackson late.  Or, they may assume that one of the two top corners will fall to 1.9, and take a stab at Clayton or someone with the 1.25 . . . or they may not be done yet.  There are many different ways they could play this.

Peace

policy

785607[/snapback]

There are only two scenarios that make any sense to me:

1. Move up for Edwards; or,

2. Stay put and hope Clayton or Williamson is there at 25 but I'm not sure even Clayton is worth 3 picks.

Sure there are many ways they could play this but would you agree those are the two most likely scenarios?

Interesting Len Pasquarelli article from ESPN:

Just three years after investing a first-round choice on quarterback Patrick Ramsey, the Washington Redskins are plotting to acquire the possible replacement for the man who currently holds the top spot on their depth chart.

Washington, already slated to pick ninth overall, added a second selection in the first round of the 2005 draft on Tuesday night, acquiring the 25th pick overall from the Denver Broncos. The prospect Washington brass is eyeing at No. 25? Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell.

In return for the Broncos' first-round choice, which Denver officials have been shopping for the past few days, the Redskins surrendered their third-round pick (76th overall) in this year's draft, along with first- and fourth-round selections in 2006. The haul is reflective of the regard in which they hold Campbell, who was 31-8 as a starter in college.

Even before their most substantive predraft review of the position late last week, Redskins coaches and scouts had regarded Campbell as on par with Alex Smith of Utah and California's Aaron Rodgers, generally regarded as the top two quarterback prospects. A lengthy film study of Campbell further strengthened Washington's resolve to move on the Auburn quarterback.

During his 46 appearances for the Tigers, Campbell completed 552 of 854 passes for 7,299 yards, with 45 touchdown passes and 24 interceptions. Despite playing under different offensive coordinators during each of his four seasons, Campbell completed more than 60 percent of his passes all four years. He completed 69.6 percent of his attempts while leading undefeated Auburn to a No. 2 ranking and a 16-13 win over Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

The Redskins now must guard against another team jumping ahead of them and grabbing Campbell, one of the draft's fastest rising prospects.

Certainly the flirtation with Campbell is not good news for Ramsey, the Redskins' top pick in the 2002 draft (32nd overall) and the man who finished the 2004 season as Washington's starter. The former Tulane star replaced Mark Brunell in the lineup for the second half of the season and started the final seven games.

Washington might entertain a trade for Ramsey, provided they get Campbell and feel he can play immediately for them. Brunell and Tim Hasselbeck, who on Monday signed his one-year restricted free agent qualifying offer of $656,000, remain on the roster.

For his career, the 26-year-old Ramsey has completed 465 of 836 passes for 5,370 yards, with 33 touchdown passes and 28 interceptions. He has started in 23 of 29 appearances.

Meanwhile, the Redskins say they aren't trading their No. 9 pick, which they'll likely use on a cornerback, but they're not ruling out any possibilities.

"Right now, we've had no discussions with anyone about trading away the ninth pick," team president and coach Joe Gibbs said. "Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes. We'll consider anything, but no one has presented a compelling scenario."

Man, are the Redskins stupid. I'm glad they're in my division.

Trading 3 picks to get 1 late 1st rounder in a WEAK draft? Then going after a QB?? I've always been a big Ramsey guy. He showed me a lot by getting killed in 2003 behind that dreadful OL, and not being a distraction when they sunk all that money into the completely over the hill Brunell to take his job last year. Despite all that.. despite two offensive systems that could not possibly be more different in those two years (Spurrier vs Gibbs).. despite not ever having one training camp as the starter.. despite only being 26.. he's got more TDs than INTs, and 5300 yards in just over a season and a half worth of playing time. Why wouldn't they just give the kid a shot? And especially since they have so many other holes to fill??

Actually, what am I complaining about? Go Skins! Be stupid! :D

Man, are the Redskins stupid. I'm glad they're in my division.

Trading 3 picks to get 1 late 1st rounder in a WEAK draft? Then going after a QB?? I've always been a big Ramsey guy. He showed me a lot by getting killed in 2003 behind that dreadful OL, and not being a distraction when they sunk all that money into the completely over the hill Brunell to take his job last year. Despite all that.. despite two offensive systems that could not possibly be more different in those two years (Spurrier vs Gibbs).. despite not ever having one training camp as the starter.. despite only being 26.. he's got more TDs than INTs, and 5300 yards in just over a season and a half worth of playing time. Why wouldn't they just give the kid a shot? And especially since they have so many other holes to fill??

Actually, what am I complaining about? Go Skins! Be stupid! :D

785791[/snapback]

I am a Ramsey fan also and I dont think they use a first rounder on a QB. I think he is wrong about that.

I am a Ramsey fan also and I dont think they use a first rounder on a QB. I think he is wrong about that.

785796[/snapback]

I tend to agree! Campbell is a second rounder IMO and just a hunch but the Skins are maybe looking to package the 25th pick for a DB--possibly Woodson since Buchannon is gone now or even a rookie WR....

:D Hello, Mr. Leinart? Yes, we'd like to talk to you about some wonderful job opportunities opening up in the Mile High City.

I don't have anything against the Redskins. I like Ramsey. I like the coaching staff. I even like the uniforms.

.......but I will be rooting for them to lose every single game this year. :D:D:D

Wow!! This is a great move for Denver. I've heard recently that Denver doesn't feel there is enough of a difference in talent between the first couple rounds of picks and their needs. Even though I will be dissappointed that they don't draft in the first round, this move makes alot of sense.

Oh, and I forgot to add that they get to screw Washington AGAIN!!! :D

Edited by NAUgrad

you people are blind to the fact that Danny Boy is a genius and if history tells us anything, and it doesn't, that he will pull a miraculous trade, draft, or coax Riggins out of retirement for a real push toward the Super Bowl this very year.

I have no idea what they will do, I haven't been following as much lately, but I have faith that they will do something wise with this. I just don't know what that is at the moment. and by the way, efff Dallas.

First of all, if ESPN is reporting that the Redskins are targeting Jason Campbell hours after the trade is made, I can almost guarantee that's NOT who they're targeting.

Secondly, the only justification for the Redskins making this deal is if Gibbs really wants to win right now. Since they didn't have a 2nd-round pick (Brunell :D), I think Gibbs got sick of the idea of using his only pick in the first 70 on a cornerback. CB is a DEFINITE need, but that offense needs a contributor right away also.

So...why acquire the pick right in front of the Jets? I bet they could have gotten, say, San Diego's pick much cheaper. I have a feeling Gibbs wants a TE and is afraid the Jets will take Heath Miller.

There is PERFECT value for a starting CB at #9 and #25 is perfect value for Heath Miller. So...that's what my last mock draft is going to reflect. I'll probably have it up tomorrow.

First of all, if ESPN is reporting that the Redskins are targeting Jason Campbell hours after the trade is made, I can almost guarantee that's NOT who they're targeting.

Secondly, the only justification for the Redskins making this deal is if Gibbs really wants to win right now. Since they didn't have a 2nd-round pick (Brunell :D), I think Gibbs got sick of the idea of using his only pick in the first 70 on a cornerback. CB is a DEFINITE need, but that offense needs a contributor right away also.

So...why acquire the pick right in front of the Jets? I bet they could have gotten, say, San Diego's pick much cheaper. I have a feeling Gibbs wants a TE and is afraid the Jets will take Heath Miller.

There is PERFECT value for a starting CB at #9 and #25 is perfect value for Heath Miller. So...that's what my last mock draft is going to reflect. I'll probably have it up tomorrow.

786821[/snapback]

I dont think so. Gibbs loves good tight ends but do you really think he wants to spend a first rounder on a TE after Cooley's performance last year. Cooley fits the Gibbs offense perfectly as an H back and I dont think Miller necessarily would. Having both might be great but for a first rounder?

If the Skins are planning on Clayton falling to #25, I think they will be disappointed. I too don't think they would select Miller in that spot. They might go Pac Man first, but could see them taking Mike Williams if he falls to them, then picking up either Marlin Jackson or Fabian Washington with their second pick.

Dang, this NFL draft stuff is great! It's like Oprah for men.