[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joey Harrington

TJOLIRPH

Everyone is saying its time for Joey to step up, no more excusses, but what numbers are needed to disple the doubters?

Lets say all 3 WRs play and stay healthy all year, no Garcia, and they Lions go 9-7 and get a wildcard.

What numbers are needed for Joey to make someone believe it was the 5th string, ball dropping WRs and not him that has made thier Off. suck so bad the last 3 years.

Because IMO unless he gets great stats, fans will still think he sucks and now decent stats are due to the system.

and BTW if he doesn't have a good season, especially with the 3 #1's, and the Lions dont make the playoffs, then IMO bench/cut his butt and call him Heath.

To me it is more than just stats. The way he orchestrates drives and manages the clock. The completions at key points in the game. His command of the offense and ability to drive the team during the last two minutes of the game.

I believe he could throw for 25-30tds and still not win me over if he makes mistakes at key points of the game.

On the other hand he could throw for 20 tds (and K. Jones could run 15 in) and I'd be happy if he shows complete command of the offense. I remember Troy Aikman never had gaudy stats but was always considered one of the best of his era for the way he controlled the game. Tom Brady is similar in that regard. He'll never throw for the most yards or touchdowns, but is always considered one of the best currently. I would be very happy with that type of performance from Harrington.

I'm definitely rooting for him and the expectations are there. We shall see if he has the head/heart to live up to them.

To me it is more than just stats.  The way he orchestrates drives and manages the clock.  The completions at key points in the game.  His command of the offense and ability to drive the team during the last two minutes of the game. 

I believe he could throw for 25-30tds and still not win me over if he makes mistakes at key points of the game.

On the other hand he could throw for 20 tds (and K. Jones could run 15 in) and I'd be happy if he shows complete command of the offense.  I remember Troy Aikman never had gaudy stats but was always considered one of the best of his era for the way he controlled the game.  Tom Brady is similar in that regard.  He'll never throw for the most yards or touchdowns, but is always considered one of the best currently.  I would be very happy with that type of performance from Harrington.

I'm definitely rooting for him and the expectations are there.  We shall see if he has the head/heart to live up to them.

793538[/snapback]

I agree stats aren't everything but Brady and Aikman never had this much potential fire power around them. I think if he just gets the job done the fans will still say hes not good enough and a product of the system and players around him. I think for him the get any respect he'll need to be in the top 10 in yrds and top 5 for TDs.

Edited by TJOLIRPH

It will either be 3000 and 30 or 800 & 5. The only way he gets enough playing time to get into the high 20s is if he plays well, which could put him around 30. However, if he has 800 yards and 5 TDs through 5 games, his numbers and career will come to rest at that point in favor of Jeff Garcia.

Personally, I think the kid's gonna do fine, as long as he doesn't get knocked around too much. I think his talent is unquestioned, his toughness is not.

It will either be 3000 and 30 or 800 & 5.  The only way he gets enough playing time to get into the high 20s is if he plays well, which could put him around 30.  However, if he has 800 yards and 5 TDs through 5 games, his numbers and career will come to rest at that point in favor of Jeff Garcia. 

Personally, I think the kid's gonna do fine, as long as he doesn't get knocked around too much.  I think his talent is unquestioned, his toughness is not.

793586[/snapback]

I think his talent is barely higher than his toughness which is none. Go Garcia.

To me it is more than just stats.  The way he orchestrates drives and manages the clock.  The completions at key points in the game.  His command of the offense and ability to drive the team during the last two minutes of the game. 

On the other hand he could throw for 20 tds (and K. Jones could run 15 in) and I'd be happy if he shows complete command of the offense.  I remember Troy Aikman never had gaudy stats but was always considered one of the best of his era for the way he controlled the game.  Tom Brady is similar in that regard.  He'll never throw for the most yards or touchdowns, but is always considered one of the best currently.  I would be very happy with that type of performance from Harrington.

I'm definitely rooting for him and the expectations are there.  We shall see if he has the head/heart to live up to them.

793538[/snapback]

Im with U Puddy, Im so tired of hereing Joey this and Joey that, for that matter, pretty much every Qb Detroit has ever had. Just Win games, thats all we ask.

Careful referenceing Tom Brady, BIGTEN cant handle talkng about any player from MIchigan.

With the Detroit fans, Joey is in a lose lose situation, our fans suck.

793630[/snapback]

Bull. This guy has been a turd for the last three years, and he still has tons of supporters in Detroit. Bears fans at least were smart enough to run Cade McNown out of town after a couple of years.

I'm with Puddy for the most part. I want to see better decisions. Checking down to your back on 3rd and 9 will not cut it this year. On top of that, he really should have top ten statistics, considering he'll be playing in a WCO. I want to see 65+% completion percentage and <10-12 INT's. TD's aren't that important to me if KJ is running a bunch in, but if it's an indicator of red zone ineptitude, that's a different story.

The buck has to stop this year. I have a strong feeling that Harrington won't be able to hack it. Wins aren't enough. If the team is winning in spite of him, a change will still need to take place. If he's leading the team to wins, well then, go Joey.

On a completely unrelated note, I noticed that Mike McMahon was one of the leaders in completion percentage last year. Just sayin'.

I've always tried to give "Joey Ballgame" the benefit of doubt but, with the weapons around him...(Rogers, 2 Williams, KJ and Pollard if all are healthy) he better get the job done or by week 4 he's replaced by Garcia. I don't think Mooch really has any confidence in him. If Joey's on...this O will be scary! Only hole is right tackle, and we have 3 folks competing for this job. Should be a very interesting season! :D

Edited for... Good post Puddy! Right on.

Edited by lions suck

OK wonderful the Lions have "3 number one receivers"Is no one realizing that the combined experience of these three equates to about one season of playing time?Joey has really proved nothing so far plus the fact that Kevin Jones will be a second year back.I believe expectations are way too high for this whole team.I project 7-9 possibly 8-8 and that is if the velvet lion Garcia is the starter.Roy Williams fought injuries through most of thes season and does anyone really think Rogers will be on the field for more than 8 games?Very easy to say this team looks like a contender on paper but I think they are a couple years away.

Detroits' schedule:

Sun. Sept. 11 GREEN BAY PACKERS Ford Field 4:15 p.m. FOX

Sun. Sept. 18 @ Chicago Bears Soldier Field 1 p.m. FOX

Sun. Sept. 25 Bye Week

Sun. Oct. 2 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers Raymond James Stadium 1 p.m. FOX

Sun. Oct. 9 BALTIMORE RAVENS Ford Field 1 p.m. CBS

Sun. Oct. 16 CAROLINA PANTHERS Ford Field 1 p.m. FOX

Sun. Oct. 23 at Cleveland Browns Browns Stadium 1 p.m. FOX

Sun. Oct. 30 CHICAGO BEARS Ford Field 1 p.m. FOX

Sun. Nov. 6 @ Minnesota Vikings The Metrodome 1 p.m. FOX

Sun. Nov. 13 ARIZONA CARDINALS Ford Field 1 p.m. FOX

Sun. Nov. 20 at Dallas Cowboys Texas Stadium 1 p.m. FOX

Thur. Nov. 24 ATLANTA FALCONS Ford Field 12:30 p.m. FOX

Sun. Dec. 4 MINNESOTA VIKINGS Ford Field 1 p.m. FOX

Sun. Dec. 11 at Green Bay Packers Lambeau Field 8:30 p.m. ESPN

Sun. Dec. 18 CINCINNATI BENGALS Ford Field 4:05 p.m. CBS

Sat. Dec. 24 @ New Orleans Saints Louisiana Superdome 1 p.m. FOX

Sun. Jan. 1 @ Pittsburgh Steelers Heinz Field 1 p.m. FOX

Detroit only has two divisional games in their first six and have four in their final ten. These first six games are the amount of rope Mooch will give him (imo).

After these six games, Detroit will have to be .500 or better, JH will need to have >200 ypg and more TDs than INTs ... or ... TVL will be starting their seventh game at home against Chicago.