[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yankees Collapsing

Rovers

Dang... a walkoff homer wins it for the Sox on Tuesday.  Then, a walkoff homer wins it for the Sox on Wednesday.

That was a dang exciting series against Oakland.  Rock on.

812191[/snapback]

Well it shouldnt even been close but the Sox closer is having some major issues with closing out games this year. :D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it shouldnt even been close but the Sox closer is having some major issues with closing out games this year.  :D

812624[/snapback]

Foulke did not look hot... that is for sure. Luckily the Sox batters did look hot.

It'll pick back up, especially now that the 10thinning is dead. Yanks may have won a few in a row, but bats don't stay hot forever . . . that pitching staff sure won't be able to carry them when they cool off again.

It'll pick back up, especially now that the 10thinning is dead.  Yanks may have won a few in a row, but bats don't stay hot forever . . . that pitching staff sure won't be able to carry them when they cool off again.

814863[/snapback]

Watch much baseball?

5/7 Mussina, 9 IP, 0 ER

5/8 Brown, 7 IP, 0 ER

5/9 Johnson, 7 IP, 3 ER

5/10 Wang, 7.1 IP, 3 ER

5/11 Pavano got shelled

5/13 Mussina, 7 IP, 2ER

5/14 Brown, 6 IP, 3 ER

5/15 Johnson 7 IP, 3 ER

That is outstanding starting pitching, aside from Pavano getting shelled. 7 plus in every game besides Pavano when he got shelled and 6 from Brown. Looks to me like the pitching staff has carried them as much if not more than their bats.

Watch much baseball?

5/7 Mussina, 9 IP, 0 ER

5/8 Brown, 7 IP, 0 ER

5/9 Johnson, 7 IP, 3 ER

5/10 Wang, 7.1 IP, 3 ER

5/11 Pavano got shelled

5/13 Mussina, 7 IP, 2ER

5/14 Brown, 6 IP, 3 ER

5/15 Johnson 7 IP, 3 ER

That is outstanding starting pitching, aside from Pavano getting shelled. 7 plus in every game besides Pavano when he got shelled and 6 from Brown. Looks to me like the pitching staff has carried them as much if not more than their bats.

815018[/snapback]

Yes - I watch plenty of baseball - probably way more than I should (mlb's extra innings package is a beautiful thing). Just to be clear - are you implying that the Yankees' starting pitching is "outstanding"? A little context - 2 out of 3 series against the A's bats (the worst offense in all of baseball, mind you) is just what the doctor ordered for any team's SPs to get a boost. Seattle ain't anything special either - I think they're the 20th best offense in the majors. Most Yanks fans I know are aware of this and, as a result, haven't started celebrating anything just yet . . . b/c nothing's really been accomplished. Talk to me when their pitching starts shutting down some legit offenses with consistency.

Yes - I watch plenty of baseball - probably way more than I should (mlb's extra innings package is a beautiful thing).  Just to be clear - are you implying that the Yankees' starting pitching is "outstanding"?  A little context - 2 out of 3 series against the A's bats (the worst offense in all of baseball, mind you) is just what the doctor ordered for any team's SPs to get a boost.  Seattle ain't anything special either - I think they're the 20th best offense in the majors.  Most Yanks fans I know are aware of this and, as a result, haven't started celebrating anything just yet . . . b/c nothing's really been accomplished.  Talk to me when their pitching starts shutting down some legit offenses with consistency.

815112[/snapback]

In all fairness, I'm sure you watch a lot more baseball than I do, I was just busting your balls a little. And, for the record, I am not a Yankees fan. Really not much of a baseball fan either, but I do pay attention. That being said, you make good points about their lesser foes, however, getting that kind of production for 2 straight weeks is a positive, no matter how you put it. Perhaps "outstanding" was too strong of a word. Also, for as many f'ing annoying Yankees fans there are, there are an equal amount if not more Yankees bashers, who get as annoying as the Yankee fans.

The only reason I'm even talking about baseball is because there's no NHL season. :D

In all fairness, I'm sure you watch a lot more baseball than I do, I was just busting your balls a little. And, for the record, I am not a Yankees fan. Really not much of a baseball fan either, but I do pay attention. That being said, you make good points about their lesser foes, however, getting that kind of production for 2 straight weeks is a positive, no matter how you put it. Perhaps "outstanding" was too strong of a word. Also, for as many f'ing annoying Yankees fans there are, there are an equal amount if not more Yankees bashers, who get as annoying as the Yankee fans.

The only reason I'm even talking about baseball is because there's no NHL season. :D

815126[/snapback]

That's why I took it easy on you, poops :D .

Way I see it, Yanks aren't a terrible team and they aren't a great team. They should play above .500, but I can't see them making the playoffs with that lineup and that pitching.

That's why I took it easy on you, poops :D .

Way I see it, Yanks aren't a terrible team and they aren't a great team.  They should play above .500, but I can't see them making the playoffs with that lineup and that pitching.

815145[/snapback]

Unfortunately, from what I've read in many of your posts, the way you see things is severely tinted with homer colors, so I'll take your prediction for what it's worth. :D

Unfortunately, from what I've read in many of your posts, the way you see things is severely tinted with homer colors, so I'll take your prediction for what it's worth. :D

815148[/snapback]

You're crazy - my Beantown alleigances have no effect on my opinions of other squads. When they do, I'm the first to admit it . . . I'm possibly the most rational Boston fan of all time (though that probably isn't saying much).

You're crazy - my Beantown alleigances have no effect on my opinions of other squads.  When they do, I'm the first to admit it . . . I'm possibly the most rational Boston fan of all time (though that probably isn't saying much).

815159[/snapback]

Don't make me use the search function. :D

Don't make me use the search function. :D

815358[/snapback]

I challenge you to use that function - I shall defend any quotes that you produce to my death. :D

How 'bout 'dem O's!!!!!!

815655[/snapback]

Tell Bruce Chen to keep it up - he just joined my roto team and I am expecting a lot from him. darn - that's pathetic.

A little context - 2 out of 3 series against the A's bats (the worst offense in all of baseball, mind you) is just what the doctor ordered for any team's SPs to get a boost.

815112[/snapback]

I guess any team's SPs except Boston's? :D

Matt Clement v. Oakland 5/17/05: 5 2/3 IP, 6 H, 4 BB, 5 ER allowed

David Wells v. Oakland 5/18/05: 1 1/3 IP, 9 H, 7 ER allowed

Seattle ain't anything special either - I think they're the 20th best offense in the majors.  Most Yanks fans I know are aware of this and, as a result, haven't started celebrating anything just yet . . . b/c nothing's really been accomplished. 

BS. Sure, Seattle and Oakland are crappy teams, no doubt. But the fact remains, in baseball, it's rare that even the most crappy teams don't win at least 60 games each season and conversely that the best teams don't lose around 60. Any team can win on any given night, and with that being the case, wins are wins. The Yanks have pulled this routine for years, playing around .500 ball against the good teams and then beating up on the lousy ones...it's just usually been Tampa Bay and Baltimore that were lousy in the past, but regardless, that routine usually wins the Yanks the division.

A 10 game win streak is a 10 game win streak, and it looks like they are well on the way to stretching it out to 11 tonight. No one is celebrating anything yet, but to say nothing has been accomplished is kind of petty...it's an impressive streak, admit it. Does it mean that they are out of the woods and on the way to another division title? Not necessarily. I'm about as big a Yankee fan as you'll find, but I still recognize that this is a flawed team. I don't know that it's more flawed then every other team out there though, and after their awful start, I know Yankee fans including myself are enjoying the streak right about now.

I'm not at all trying to gloat or be harsh, but please, can all the Yankee haters just stop making excuses and give a little credit where credit is due?

I'm not at all trying to gloat or be harsh, but please, can all the Yankee haters just stop making excuses and give a little credit where credit is due?

817038[/snapback]

psst... They don't do that. It's all about payroll, remember? If they gave credit where it was due, there would hardly be any discussion.

I guess any team's SPs except Boston's? :D

Matt Clement v. Oakland 5/17/05: 5 2/3 IP, 6 H, 4 BB, 5 ER allowed

David Wells v. Oakland 5/18/05: 1 1/3 IP, 9 H, 7 ER allowed

BS.  Sure, Seattle and Oakland are crappy teams, no doubt.  But the fact remains, in baseball, it's rare that even the most crappy teams don't win at least 60 games each season and conversely that the best teams don't lose around 60. Any team can win on any given night, and with that being the case, wins are wins.  The Yanks have pulled this routine for years, playing around .500 ball against the good teams and then beating up on the lousy ones...it's just usually been Tampa Bay and Baltimore that were lousy in the past, but regardless, that routine usually wins the Yanks the division. 

A 10 game win streak is a 10 game win streak, and it looks like they are well on the way to stretching it out to 11 tonight.  No one is celebrating anything yet, but to say nothing has been accomplished is kind of petty...it's an impressive streak, admit it.  Does it mean that they are out of the woods and on the way to another division title?  Not necessarily.  I'm about as big a Yankee fan as you'll find, but I still recognize that this is a flawed team.  I don't know that it's more flawed then every other team out there though, and after their awful start, I know Yankee fans including myself are enjoying the streak right about now. 

817038[/snapback]

Did anyone say anything about Sox pitching? Didn't think so. At the time the Yanks beat them, Oakland's offense was #30 in the major leagues and Seattle's was #20 - 'nuff said.

I said nothing has been accomplished b/c, collectively, nothing has been accomplished - the Yankee's are 21-20 . . . nothing to be proud of. Everyone with half a brain EXPECTED the Yanks to run off a streak like this b/c they simply aren't bad enough to be playing 10 games under .500. Teams rattle off little winning streaks like this every year - is it really that special? Not really - everything is just magnified tenfold b/c it's the Yankees.

If they keep winning and end up 10 games over in the next month or so, then I'll be impressed - they'll have dug their way out of a huge hole and will have attained a level of play that was expected of them going into the season. Until they're able to come anywhere near what was expected of them, I don't think there's anything to talk about.

psst...  They don't do that.  It's all about payroll, remember?  If they gave credit where it was due, there would hardly be any discussion.

817141[/snapback]

I don't get it. The team with the highest payroll in baseball, the team that was heavily favored to take the AL going into the season just broke the .500 plateau . . . and they deserve credit for this?

I don't get it.  The team with the highest payroll in baseball, the team that was heavily favored to take the AL going into the season just broke the .500 plateau . . . and they deserve credit for this?

817173[/snapback]

Over time... they can beat that 12 year old girl in an arm wrestling match half the time. That's something to celebrate... :D

Did anyone say anything about Sox pitching?  Didn't think so. 

817171[/snapback]

No, but actually what you said was:

A little context - 2 out of 3 series against the A's bats (the worst offense in all of baseball, mind you) is just what the doctor ordered for any team's SPs to get a boost.

Hence, the any team but Boston's comment. If you didn't notice, the A's bats didn't exactly give Boston's starting pitching a boost...unless by boost you meant boosting their offerings over the outfield fences. :D

It wasn't even really meant to be a dig at Boston, but more of a clear example that any team can beat any other team and any big league offense is capable of scoring runs in bunches at times. A 10 game win streak against any teams is impressive.

But it's over now anyway, so you guys can rightfully go back to talking about how much the Yankees suck if you like. After all, they lost to Seatlle of all teams last night. :D :sarcasm:

Edited by Skrappy1

I don't get it.  The team with the highest payroll in baseball, the team that was heavily favored to take the AL going into the season just broke the .500 plateau . . . and they deserve credit for this?

817173[/snapback]

That's fine. I know you watch baseball Balzac, and I think you have a good understanding and knowledge of it. Heck, I've bounced baseball questions and ideas off of you from time to time, and I wouldn't do that if I didn't think you knew the game. I just really think your pro-Red Sox/anti-Yankee bias is shining through clearly on this one, but that's ok. :D

Edited by Skrappy1

817173[/snapback]

Of course not, they can't even get credit for winning 4 World Series in a 5 year span, I wouldn't expect any credit for a measly 10 game winning streak.

It wasn't even really meant to be a dig at Boston, but more of a clear example that any team can beat any other team and any big league offense is capable of scoring runs in bunches at times.  A 10 game win streak against any teams is impressive. 

817232[/snapback]

Any team can clearly win on any given night and very good teams can have strings of bad outings - we all know this. My point was that winning 10 in a row against crappy teams isn't all that impressive to me - no matter who does it. Is it easy to do? No - but that doesn't mean that it's impressive . . . particularly when it's a team that is supposed to be dominant that is doing the winning.

I liken it to a hitting streak - it would be impressive if Mike Cameron (a guy who Ks alot and has never really hit for average) went on a 10 game hitting streak, but not so impressive if Ichiro did it. Ichiro is all around impressive when it comes to hitting - a 10 game hitting streak isn't all that impressive coming from him because you'd expect it. There is no doubting that the talent on the Yankee roster is impressive, so stringing together a few wins like that after a huge drought is par for the course as far as I'm concerned.

Like I said before - a 10 game winning streak against poor teams from a Yankee team that is 10 games under .500 isn't impressive to me - it got them back to .500. That's it.

That's fine.  I know you watch baseball Balzac, and I think you have a good understanding and knowledge of it.  Heck, I've bounced baseball questions and ideas off of you from time to time, and I wouldn't do that if I didn't think you knew the game.  I just really think your pro-Red Sox/anti-Yankee bias is shining through clearly on this one, but that's ok.  :D

817242[/snapback]

Hmm - couldn't I just as easily say that your pro-Yankee bias is shining through here? There is quite honestly no bias here - if the Cards had been sucking and then won 10 in a row against the Pirates and Rockies, I'd be asking what the big deal is there as well. Other Yanks fans that I see and talk to didn't make a big deal of the streak b/c they realized who it was against . . . I'm not sure why you guys aren't doing the same.