(His players)

Lamont Jordan OAK RB

Year 2005 Draft Pick 3.2

for:

(My players)

Duckett, T.J. ATL RB

Burleson, Nate MIN WR

Year 2005 Draft Pick 1.05

I think this is close to something acceptable. I just don't think I should give up my 1st round draft pick. I think its fair enough just trading Burleson and Duckett for Jordan straight up. What do you think?

This is who I currently have ( starting 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 k, 1 d)

Anderson, Richie FA RB

Brown, Chris TEN RB

Duckett, T.J. ATL RB

Harris, Joey CAR RB

Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB

Bennett, Drew TEN WR

Branch, Deion NEP WR

Burleson, Nate MIN WR

Gaffney, Jabar HOU WR

Holt, Torry STL WR

Horn, Joe NOS WR

I have been offered this trade by another guy in my 12 man dynasty league:

(His players)

Lamont Jordan OAK  RB

Year 2005 Draft Pick 3.2

for:

(My players)

Duckett, T.J. ATL RB

Burleson, Nate MIN WR

Year 2005 Draft Pick 1.05

I think this is close to something acceptable. I just don't think I should give up my 1st round draft pick.  I think its fair enough just trading Burleson and Duckett for Jordan straight up. What do you think?

This is who I currently have ( starting 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 k, 1 d)

Anderson, Richie FA RB

Brown, Chris TEN RB

Duckett, T.J. ATL RB

Harris, Joey CAR RB

Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB

Bennett, Drew TEN WR

Branch, Deion NEP WR

Burleson, Nate MIN WR

Gaffney, Jabar HOU WR

Holt, Torry STL WR

Horn, Joe NOS WR

805657[/snapback]

I would not accept Burleson and Duckett for Jordan ... you need to sweeten the deal IMHO ... if you dont want to lose the 1st and get a third, offer him a second with nothing coming back... you dont need to make this trade in my opinion, but it would protect you from C. Brown injuries ... you can add Edwards with the 1.05 pick ...

Edited by Beaumont

Yeah I agree with Beaumont to a certain extent here. You're giving up too much by giving him your 1.05 pick.

I'd pull his pick out of the offer and offer him your third rounder, not a second as Beaumont alluded to. If he counters with getting your 2nd, perhaps you still do it.

You're good at WR, and I'm not sold on Burleson anyways. I think the jump from Duckett to Jordan would give you three solid RBs. I'd rather have Jordan as my 3rd (behind a brittle Brown) over Duckett.

Hope this helps.

Actually, I think Darin misread B's post. In any case, I have Burleson pretty high this year. Duckett, while unspectacular, is solid. Jordan has a lot to prove, although I think he will do well in Oaklnad, there is risk there. No way in the world do you include 1.5 in this deal, no way. And I'd insist he give you the third round pick too. Both of the guys you are giving up are proven, and Burleson's upside could be big. Jordan is NOT a proven every down back, and is on a new team that may be so pass happy, it's possible his touches get limited too. I personally think he will be stud-like, but that remains to be seen. I see the deal, as is, as a rape and pillage.

Actually, I think Darin misread B's post. In any case, I have Burleson pretty high this year. Duckett, while unspectacular, is solid. Jordan has a lot to prove, although I think he will do well in Oaklnad, there is risk there. No way in the world do you include 1.5 in this deal, no way.  And I'd insist he give you the third round pick too. Both of the guys you are giving up are proven, and Burleson's upside could be big. Jordan is NOT a proven every down back, and is on a new team that may be so pass happy, it's possible his touches get limited too. I personally think he will be stud-like, but that remains to be seen. I see the deal, as is, as a rape and pillage.

805764[/snapback]

:D

I didn't misread Beaumont's post.

Both the guys he's giving up are proven? How so? Duckett is hardly proven, ditto with Burleson. Burleson's upside is decent. I'd go so far as to say Taylor's upside - and even the rookie Williamson's upside - are higher than Burleson's.

I do agree, however, that giving up the 1.05 is a rape/pillage job. Pull your draft picks out of the deal and do a Duckett/Burleson for Jordan/3.02.

First off, apologies to Darin.... I was thinking Dunn, not Duckett, so I'm the one that seems to be confused. Duckett is no where near Dunn's value, so I have to make a major correction. My bad.

first however, I will agrue that Burleson's performance last year proved without a doubt that he established himself as a solid WR. In my standard performance based local last year, he was the #13 WR. Remember too, that early in the season he was in a rotation with MRob. When Moss went down, he posted some impressive numbers, and played with a broken nose and finger. I think he's a top ten WR in 2005 easy.

Darin, I don't share your confidence in Taylor at all. This form (don't hit me) CBS Sportsline:

The Jaguars will be without running back Fred Taylor for most of the offseason after he underwent knee surgery, but Taylor said he would be back in time for training camp. The talk was that Taylor had an MCL injury to his knee, but word is he also suffered a PCL injury that made his surgery far more difficult than expected. The Jaguars are hopeful Taylor will be 100 percent next season, because without him their offense would be in trouble -- even with the new emphasis on throwing downfield more. They did like what they saw from rookie fourth-round pick Alvin Pearman last week and LaBrandon Toefield and Greg Jones are also in the mix. Jones, though, is expected to be the starting fullback.

I'm not even sure Taylor will be ready by the regular season, and if he is, I wonder if he'll be at 100%. I doubt it. Back to Duckett, and my screw up. I agree that for Jordan, given the value of RB's, the deal needs some sweetening, but not a 1.5. But, this year is also a bit different. There WILL be more non RBBC RB's out there. Teams that had no clear cut feature back last year vs. this are : Miami, Oakland, Tampa, Buffalo, Dallas, Chicago, and Arizona. That brings the value of a WR like Burleson up, because there are more RB's out there. Maybe dropping any draftt picks out of the deal would work. A third rounder is still pretty valuable.

It boils down to Burelson for Jordan, really. Which one do you think has the upside? Call Duckett a throw in. One, in my mind is proven, the other I do believe will be a top 15 RB, maybe top 10. Burleson is a top ten on my list. Maybe you could include C Brown instead of Duckett, and get his 1st or 2nd round pick. I worry about Brown's durability.

Darin read my post right. If I were him I would not trade you Jordan for Duckett & Burleson straight up. Jordan is the featured runner in Oakland, a team that will score a lot and has no other real runner behind him to cause problems. I think he will be a stud this year, and RB studs are worth their weight in gold. WRs and RBBC guys are more common and obviously not worth a fraction of Jordan's value ...

You are relatively set at RB. You would need this trade more if you could start a 3rd RB as a flex. But if you are going to do it, I suspect you are going to have to give him Burleson, Duckett and something else to sweeten the deal (e.g., a 2nd for a third) ...

Darin read my post right.

Thanks for that clarification! I guess I didnt grovel enough.

Thanks for all of your responses and advice!!!

I emailed him back and said that I thought I was being generous enough with both Burleson and Duckett for Jordan, and that losing a key draft spot was too much a loss for me.

I feel that way because Burleson is a very good receiver and he will be seeing some more action this year with Moss out of the picture completely. Duckett is a serviceable RB with upside in case Dunn goes down.

But I really like Jordan. I'm a Raider fan (that's really hard to admit these days with recent acquisitions) and I know they have a solid O-line. I think their offense is going to be like the Colts and Chiefs situations in past because they don't have a D that can stop anybody, so their O is going to have to put up some numbers. With Jordan being the clear-cut #1, I think that makes him top 10 easy. Although it could go the oppposite way too, they may need to pass more, decreasing his numbers. I really don't know a lot about Jordan, can he catch out of the backfield? Is he a 3rd down back as well? There are a lot question marks with all three of these guys. But then again, that's what makes this fun!

I am just really worried about C brown this year. I already know he's fragile and what makes it worse is his straight-up running style. The Titans have depleted their offensive potency, so I really think he's in for a down year. I would love to have another decent back to compliment LT.

Bottom line: Is Jordan going to be worth losing Burleson?

I wouldn't do the deal at all. I'd keep what you have, and if you feel you must have another back, pick up JJ Arington. More than likely he will be there at the 1.5. Plus, you never know, maybe someone is in love with the top two WR's. I'd probably stay put and pick up JJ Arington, or try to trade up in the rookie draft to get one of the big three backs in this years rookie draft. I bet you could move up to the 1.3 if you gave up the 1.5 and Burleson. Brown, Williams and Benson are all better backs IMO than Jordan. Arrington is about on par with Jordan, and you can get him with the 1.5 and not give up anything.

I ditto the Perch's comments. Just don't do the deal. You will be giving up someone in your starting lineup (Burleson) for someone that may ride the bench half the time (Jordan, behind LT & CBrown). Yes, Brown is somewhat fragile -- so use your 1.05 pick to give him help. The ONLY way you don't find it is if all of the top four picks get RBs. I'd take an LT-CBrown starting backfield, with Arrington (or Duckett) as my back-up, and Burleson as my 3rd starting WR, over having to start Branch or Bennett at WR3 and having a starting backfield of LT-CBrown, with LJordan as back-up. Except in the case of injury, the improvement you realize at RB will not show up in game stats... but what you give up at WR will show up every week.

I ditto the Perch's comments.  Just don't do the deal.  You will be giving up someone in your starting lineup (Burleson) for someone that may ride the bench half the time (Jordan, behind LT & CBrown).  Yes, Brown is somewhat fragile -- so use your 1.05 pick to give him help.  The ONLY way you don't find it is if all of the top four picks get RBs.  I'd take an LT-CBrown starting backfield, with Arrington (or Duckett) as my back-up, and Burleson as my 3rd starting WR, over having to start Branch or Bennett at WR3 and having a starting backfield of LT-CBrown, with LJordan as back-up.  Except in the case of injury, the improvement you realize at RB will not show up in game stats... but what you give up at WR will show up every week.

807050[/snapback]

Great points! The trade did fall through because I intentially asked for too much. For that I'm grateful! Because I think you hit it on the head, why trade for Jordan (who's stock is very high right now with no proven track history) when he may a back-up some of the time. I am going to use my 1st pick to grab some help. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I wouldn't do the deal @ all! I would try something else or take my chance with the 1 pick!