[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going to the Batman Begins 400 at MIS.

Puddy

I am taking my dad for Fathers Day next Sunday to MIS. I won two tickets from my work (we are a Matt Kenseth sponsor, so I have hospitality passes too). Get to meet Kenseth a few hours before the race (assuming I get there that early).

Any advice from Nascar veterans (JJ, Tbimm, etc.) The race starts at 2:00. What time should I arrive? What should I do other than sit and watch? Do I have to show up in a pickup truck :D

I am taking my dad for Fathers Day next Sunday to MIS.  I won two tickets from my work (we are a Matt Kenseth sponsor, so I have hospitality passes too).  Get to meet Kenseth a few hours before the race (assuming I get there that early).

Any advice from Nascar veterans (JJ, Tbimm, etc.)  The race starts at 2:00.  What time should I arrive?  What should I do other than sit and watch?  Do I have to show up in a pickup truck :D

841206[/snapback]

I did the same type of package at Daytona this spring and it was great! Get there early to avoid the traffic and so you can take advantage of the hospitality tents. Most will have food for breakfast and lunch. Probably not great food but free food all the same. Some also have barrels of ice filled with adult beverages :D . You can walk around the hospitality village and check out the other drivers as they do there little song and dance at each tent.

Also most of these packages include a pit walk which means you get to go onto pit road and on the track,kinda cool if you've never done it! The race can be long when in the stands so be prepared for that. Check with MIS because every track i've been to allows you to bring your own beer and I highly recommend that as they are quite pricy at the stands! I think you'll be very surprised at the lack of true rednecks at the race. These are big money events and therefore draw a wide variety of people. Good luck and have fun!

Get there as early as possible.All race tracks have trailers and displays to check out.Be prepared to walk miles and miles.Pack the cooler with plenty of drinks.Check out all the honeys.Wear a # 8 shirt and you will fit right in.A pick up truck helps.Should be a chevy though.

I try to leave for the track at 7 or 8 in the morning. Race traffic is brutal and it's a good idea to avoid it. I highly recomend bringing a grill and cooking up breakfast and lunch. I usually grill out after the race and wait for the race traffic to die down. You do have hospitality passes so this isn't neccesary. Check to see what type of coolers MIS allows. Some tracks only allow soft coolers that don't exceed 14 inches in any direction. You're gonna be surprised by how nice everyone is. I've been to 8 different race tracks and have yet to meet a jerk. One thing that you will absolutely need is a scanner. Ask around at work and see if anyone has one that you can borrow. You'll also need a splitter so you and your father can share the scanner. Race headphones are also a must. Someone from work will probably have one of these as well. If not, you can rent these at the track. I wouldn't watch a race without a scanner. If you get a scanner make sure to program 454.0000 onto it. This is PRN's requency and you can listen to the broadcast while you watch. Bring sunscreen and a hat and pack some waters with your beer. I drive a Landcruiser but I wouldn't recommend driving anything other that a Dodge, Chevy or Ford to the track. You'll fit in better. You're gonna have a blast.

Puddy, you may want to avoid US 12 and take the back way, I 94 to 127 South?

My family has cottages on Lake Columbia which is right there and we always avoid 12 on race weekends.

All the advice given above is excellent. A scanner is a must. It allows you to listen to the drivers, announcers, NASCAR officials and adds to the race. I was @ the pocono 500 last weekend and had a blast.

Here is one of my favorite pictures I took at the race Link

Edited by Joe Six Pack

All the advice given above is excellent. A scanner is a must. It allows you to listen to the drivers, announcers, nascar officials and adds to the race. I was @ the pocono 500 last weekend and had a blast.

Here is one of my favorate pictures i took at the race Link

842517[/snapback]

:D I love it! That kid can't get out of his own way fast enough.

Take a carton of Winstons, a 30 back of Busch, wear a wife beater and speak broken english and forget everything you lernt after third grade, y'all.

Also, pick a random driver and go to that driverSS trailer and get his armband/brownshirt, I mean t-shirt/hat/window sticker. Can't hurt if you buy a flag for you house or buy a new car that is the same make/model/color as said driver.

Throw around phrases like 'yee-haw', 'boy howdee' and 'get-r-done'. The local fan whackjobs will think you're one of them.

Have fun.

Take a carton of Winstons, a 30 back of Busch, wear a wife beater and speak broken english and forget everything you lernt after third grade, y'all.

Also, pick a random driver and go to that driverSS trailer and get his armband/brownshirt, I mean t-shirt/hat/window sticker.  Can't hurt if you buy a flag for you house or buy a new car that is the same make/model/color as said driver.

Throw around phrases like 'yee-haw', 'boy howdee' and 'get-r-done'.  The local fan whackjobs will think you're one of them.

Have fun.

843441[/snapback]

So hopelessly misinformed, and a Ravens fan to boot! What a shame :D

So hopelessly misinformed, and a Ravens fan to boot! What a shame :D

843822[/snapback]

Right, I forgot phrases like "Booogity booogity" and to use the word "deal" in place of almost every noun (instead of that wreck was horrible, say that was a bad deal).

I've been to a race. It's like a flea market, only much larger. The Jeff Gordon fan in our section (I could tell because EVERY article of clothing was from Jeff Gordon trailer) had to stand up with his finger in the air every time Gordon passed someone. Sad and funny at the same time.

Does that "burn you up somp-tin real bad"?

For someone going their first race, I would suggest going ahead and rent a set of scanners. I did it my first race 7 years ago, and you can hear both the drivers and crews, and the race broadcast on the motor racing network. Well worth the experience, and it will give you a ton of information. Loads of sun block too

Right, I forgot phrases like "Booogity booogity" and to use the word "deal" in place of almost every noun (instead of that wreck was horrible, say that was a bad deal).

I've been to a race.  It's like a flea market, only much larger.  The Jeff Gordon fan in our section (I could tell because EVERY article of clothing was from Jeff Gordon trailer) had to stand up with his finger in the air every time Gordon passed someone.  Sad and funny at the same time.

844791[/snapback]

Your still a Ravens fan so..........

There are those who love racing and those who dont.........

I've been to a race.  It's like a flea market, only much larger.  The Jeff Gordon fan in our section (I could tell because EVERY article of clothing was from Jeff Gordon trailer) had to stand up with his finger in the air every time Gordon passed someone.  Sad and funny at the same time.

844791[/snapback]

This post doesn't bother me. There is some truth to this post which makes it funny, but the people at the race tracks are very friendly. I wear clothes to the track that I never wear anywhere else, that's part of the experience. This has been said several times in this thread and I can't emphasize it enough, GET A SCANNER! And make sure someone shows you how to program the frequencies.

Thanks for all the advice.  If I do nothing else I will rent a SCANNER!!! (and show up in a Chevy pick-up).

Do we each need one, should my father and I share one?

846069[/snapback]

If you have a splitter and two sets of headphones you'll be allright. Just make sure someone shows you how to use it.

I would definitely call my first Nascar event a very good time. Got to take my dad for Father's Day and he really enjoyed it. Come to find out he was bragging to all the race fans at work all week about going. Quick recap:

Left the house at 5:50 a.m. :D because of all the traffic horror stories I was hearing. Took only an hour and 15 minutes to get there and park. Another 45 minute walk to our hospitality tent. That was just in time for free breakfast - some type of burrito and a donut. We then went on a guided pit tour for about half an hour. It was really cool walking on the track for some reason. Back to the tent for my first beer (what's better than a cold beer at 10:00 in the morning).

Matt Kenseth then showed up to our tent, said a few words and signed autographs. Seemed like a really nice guy. I had him sign my Carhartt t-shirt on the chest area (yes it was kind of gay).

Walked around for a little while taking pictures of the cars that were available. Then free lunch at 11:30 - Roast beef, chicken and potatoes au gratin. Very enjoyable.

Rented the scanner and two sets of headphones as suggested by most here. I'm very glad I did. During Kenseth's first pit stop, I was listening in and a tire got away from a crew member and started rolling toward the lane. Kenseth yelled, "get that tire!!". We were watching it roll and listening at the same time. Very cool. He left the pit and told the crew "good job, but that was our first mistake of the day guys."

Kenseth finished fourth which is his best finish this year. He was also in the Carhartt car :D today (usually he's in the Dewalt car, but we have two or three races when it's Carhartt).

All in all, a great Father's Day spent with my dad.

Here are a few pics from today.

Dad and I on the track

Kenseth in our tent with chick from work

Dad and I with Gordon's car

Dad and I with Stewart's car

The Batmobile

I would definitely call my first Nascar event a very good time.  Got to take my dad for Father's Day and he really enjoyed it.  Come to find out he was bragging to all the race fans at work all week about going.  Quick recap:

Left the house at 5:50 a.m. :D because of all the traffic horror stories I was hearing.  Took only an hour and 15 minutes to get there and park.  Another 45 minute walk to our hospitality tent.  That was just in time for free breakfast - some type of burrito and a donut.  We then went on a guided pit tour for about half an hour.  It was really cool walking on the track for some reason.  Back to the tent for my first beer (what's better than a cold beer at 10:00 in the morning). 

Matt Kenseth then showed up to our tent, said a few words and signed autographs.  Seemed like a really nice guy.  I had him sign my Carhartt t-shirt on the chest area (yes it was kind of gay). 

Walked around for a little while taking pictures of the cars that were available.  Then free lunch at 11:30 - Roast beef, chicken and potatoes au gratin.  Very enjoyable.

Rented the scanner and two sets of headphones as suggested by most here.  I'm very glad I did.  During Kenseth's first pit stop, I was listening in and a tire got away from a crew member and started rolling toward the lane.  Kenseth yelled, "get that tire!!".  We were watching it roll and listening at the same time.  Very cool.  He left the pit and told the crew "good job, but that was our first mistake of the day guys."

Kenseth finished fourth which is his best finish this year.  He was also in the Carhartt car  :D today (usually he's in the Dewalt car, but we have two or three races when it's Carhartt).

All in all, a great Father's Day spent with my dad. 

Here are a few pics from today.

Dad and I on the track

Kenseth in our tent with chick from work

Dad and I with Gordon's car

Dad and I with Stewart's car

The Batmobile

847000[/snapback]

good to hear all that but

You're a fake[/size]

what did you do with the real david puddy, cause i know only tons of horrible plastic surgery could form him into that monster in the pictures :D

.... speak broken english and forget everything you lernt after third grade....

843441[/snapback]

Your still a Ravens fan so..........

There are those who love racing and those who dont.........

845780[/snapback]

You're proving my point for me.

I left one thing out. Make judgments about a person based on which team/driver they like as if it has anything to do with anything outside of that 'sport'.

At least this race had to better than the F1 US Grand Prix. What did they have, 6 cars run?

Edited by Big Red