[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Make a prediction about the coming College Footbal

DonVito

Texas will leave the first game with a win, isn't Troy Smith suspended for a couple of games?  Without him at QB the Buckeyes can't do anything on O, see first half of last season.  If Smith plays the first game then it is a battle.

883397[/snapback]

Smith is suspended for 1 game, against Miami of Ohio. He'll be there for the Texas matchup.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No limb, just hoping to get someone who thinks they deserve it to convince me why.  I see no one would even try to argue it....

894925[/snapback]

They signed a contract that say that they have a right to be there, that is enough for me.

I have gotten so sick of athletics treating a contract like it is not a binding document. I say if a player holds out sue em. They are in breach of contract. If a coach decides to leave mid contract make him sit and not coach until his contract is up.

I will reserve all judgement about how bad the Big East is until I see at least one season. If they are so terrible, yet added the class of the Conf-USA(where there was talk of shipping the big east BCS bid) how could they have gotten worse?

We all know who left. But the added the newest power in college football(it pains me to say this) The Lousiville Cardinals.

There was a time when the Big East was a one trick pony and then the conference caught up with Miami, now it will just take time for UConn to get settled, UL is there, Syracuse is a tough program, Cincy has up and down years and having more access to the northeast recruiting should help. South Florida, well they are South Florida and they feild a team.

I think it won't be long before they try to raid the MAC and build up the conference since there are some better programs there already.

P.S. It is high time for Notre Dame to get off their high horse and join a fricking conference. I think that the BCS should cut them out of the next deal and force their hand. Join the Big East for all sports or make the Big 10 the second big 12.

P.S. It is high time for Notre Dame to get off their high horse and join a fricking conference.  I think that the BCS should cut them out of the next deal and force their hand.  Join the Big East for all sports or make the Big 10 the second big 12.

896023[/snapback]

That's an asinine thing to say, even for a Bengal's fan. Why should ND join a conference when they get a better TV contract by themselves? In fact, the BCS made it easier to get ND into bowl games just this past week....

Edited by Pope Flick

That's an asinine thing to say, even for a Bengal's fan. Why should ND join a conference when they get a better TV contract by themselves? In fact, the BCS made it easier to get ND into bowl games just this past week....

900391[/snapback]

I know that they did. i just hate that ND who has been nothing more than average for a good while still comands what they do. They cost another conference entrance into the BCS. That is why I am against them standing on their own and eating one BCS berth.

I went to a 1-AA school, one of the best 1-AA programs mind you, but we went from a mid-level conference to the new powerhouse of 1-AA football when we wanted to step our program up, and it is time for ND to do the same, they have become a mid level program and they need a conference, not for TV rights but to help with recruiting.

3 Predictions:

1) Louisville will go undefeated, including thier Bowl Game.

2) FSU will continue their slide into being just another good football school.

3) College Fantasy Football will finally begin to take off.

It isn't Notre Dame at all. It's a business. There still is a love for Notre Dame, ask NBC. If you want to support the cause against Notre Dame, don't watch there home football games. They are able to do all of this, because of the market. When ratings start to decline, they lose there tv contract. As for the whole BCS thing. I thinkit is a joke as well, but Notre Dame, to there credit, does play a very tough schedule year in and year out. If ND goes undefeated, how can anyone honestly keep them out. And really, what other conference deserves an automatic bid. If anything, they should just drop the Big East. Louisville and there cereal box defense or not, the Big East is still a joke this year.

The problem is, they are trying so hard to make it so the mid-majors like Utah have a better chance, that Notre Dame is benefitting, because when you talk about mid-majors, you're also talking about independents. Until Notre Dame starts losing money, and tv deals, you won't see them join a conference. Why would they? They'd be stupid too. They go to a BCS bowl game, they hog ALL of that money, whereas if USC, Oklahoma, Michigan, etc etc etc go, they have to share it with the rest of the conference. Not only that, but say you got a school in your conference that doesn't travel well, like the Gophers in the Big Ten. If they don't sell there allottment of tickets, guess who gets the bill? The rest of the Big Ten. Notre Dame doesn't have to deal with that.

It isn't Notre Dame at all. It's a business. There still is a love for Notre Dame, ask NBC. If you want to support the cause against Notre Dame, don't watch there home football games. They are able to do all of this, because of the market. When ratings start to decline, they lose there tv contract. As for the whole BCS thing. I thinkit is a joke as well, but Notre Dame, to there credit, does play a very tough schedule year in and year out. If ND goes undefeated, how can anyone honestly keep them out. And really, what other conference deserves an automatic bid. If anything, they should just drop the Big East. Louisville and there cereal box defense or not, the Big East is still a joke this year.

The problem is, they are trying so hard to make it so the mid-majors like Utah have a better chance, that Notre Dame is benefitting, because when you talk about mid-majors, you're also talking about independents. Until Notre Dame starts losing money, and tv deals, you won't see them join a conference. Why would they? They'd be stupid too. They go to a BCS bowl game, they hog ALL of that money, whereas if USC, Oklahoma, Michigan, etc etc etc  go, they have to share it with the rest of the conference. Not only that, but say you got a school in your conference that doesn't travel well, like the Gophers in the Big Ten. If they don't sell there allottment of tickets, guess who gets the bill? The rest of the Big Ten. Notre Dame doesn't have to deal with that.

901080[/snapback]

ND is 'eating' a BCS spot for the #3 team in whatever conference. Big Deal. They should get that based on their sked alone. This year it includes: Michigan, Washington, Tennessee, & USC off the top of my head, with no real puffs, except for Navy but they have a special realtionship with Navy (they were the second naval academy during WW2) that will never remove them from the sked.

Ask Booby Bowden, he said it best when they first established the BCS. "They gave Notre Dame a conference, The Notre Dame Conference." :D

That's kind of my point. If Notre Dame makes it, they will have earned it. My whole rant was the fact that Notre Dame shouldn't join a conference, until it suits them economically. Right now it doesn't. If someone gave you a million dollars and you didnt have a contract to share it with your friends, or membes of a group... would you do it? I don't think so.

My biggest problem with N.D, Listening to there network B.S during games.

As much as I beleive in college football tradition, is hard for me to say this, But

if I were Michigan, Usc, etc... the big schools I wouldnt play N.d.. I know if N.d was

playing the army, airforce marines :D There ratings would go down, this would then force N.D hand to join a conference. But as long as The Bigten, Pacten, keep playing them, why should they join a conference. I hate this bcs thing, back when

there was no bcs, teams would play tougher teams, which would equal better games. Its hard to get up for a mid major or whatever. The sooner N.d realizes there no longer the darling of college football anymore, the better.

Well the reports from Raleigh are that Jay Davis is a completely different QB than last year ( in a better sense-he could'nt get much worse), but until I see it with my own eye's - I'll wait and hope it's true. The Wolfpack can make a legitimate run at the ACC title if the Offense does improve, and after last year, well there is only one way to go -up. Make no mistake though-with that D if the O can carry it's weight, then the Pack will be a factor. I'll say this-opening game in Raleigh....WolfPack takes VT behind the Woodshed-count on it.

:D Louisville will get a rude introduction to the Big East this year. Only one Thursday night game for them, and it will be their toughest (Pitt). Pitt will take the conference and the BCS bid that goes with it. :D:D

Kansas will have a winning season and make a bowl game.

I noticed they even got 1 vote in the preseason coaches' top 25 poll!!!! woo hoo!

914209[/snapback]

So mangino is voting for the Big 12 this year. I was wondering who got to vote out here. Good to know.

:D  Louisville will get a rude introduction to the Big East this year.  Only one Thursday night game for them, and it will be their toughest (Pitt).  Pitt will take the conference and the BCS bid that goes with it.    :D  :D

914163[/snapback]

LaFours was a good QB at Louisville and he led them close to the top of college football.

Brian Brohm is a legit star QB and he will lead them into the BCS and if he sticks around maybe close to a NC. Louisville(I am a Kentucky fan) is poised to become a powerhouse in college football and I hate every second of it.

I say lets not watch the BCS if we refuse to watch there crap version of the National Championship then maybe that will make the powers that be consider switching to a playoff system.

That is what college football need is a playoff, be it 16, 32, 64 teams just get something done with it.

• 2 weeks later...
...nothing too big...

We will see a non-QB win the Heisman this year (no predictions on who, just that it won't be a QB).

876274[/snapback]

Let's HOPE that you are correct. I'm sick of seeing those IDIOTS vote for a team over the player. :D

Leinart is very good, but I don't think he was the best college football player. He was the best player on the best team. I thought Adrian Peterson was BY FAR the best player last year.

Let's HOPE that you are correct. I'm sick of seeing those IDIOTS vote for a team over the player.  :D 

Leinart is very good, but I don't think he was the best college football player. He was the best player on the best team. I thought Adrian Peterson was BY FAR the best player last year.

939260[/snapback]

Great players help their team by putting up big numbers in tough/big games; even if they lose, they are an inspiration to their teammates. Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders, etc - these guys played on crappy teams.

So...how did AP do in the Orange Bowl? Did he at least break any tackles, make anybody miss? Hmmm. How did Leinart do? And I still like AP a lot - he's very good.

Get Real, indeed...

Nobody will go undefeated, nobody

BigMike

938230[/snapback]

Both Louisville and USC will go undefeated. Both have hardly any competittion within their conference. USC doesn't paly a top 15 team until bowl season, I'm not sure that Louisville will play a top 20 team this year.

That's kind of my point. If Notre Dame makes it, they will have earned it. My whole rant was the fact that Notre Dame shouldn't join a conference, until it suits them economically. Right now it doesn't. If someone gave you a million dollars and you didnt have a contract to share it with your friends, or membes of a group... would you do it? I don't think so.

908735[/snapback]

Thats exactly why they haven't joined a conference to this point.

Warning to all of college football: Be Afraid Of Charlie Weis. Be Very Afraid.

9-2. Loss in thw Big House & USC. But if they pull the upset in Michigan, all bets are off.

" I can guarantee a substantial schematic advantage, every week."

-Charlie Weis and his 4 Super Bowl Rings.

893392[/snapback]

The Irish have a brutal schedule this year. They will come out of Pitt 0-1 and it is a long road from there. They are at least a year away for Charlie.

Warning to all of college football: Be Afraid Of Charlie Weis. Be Very Afraid.

9-2. Loss in thw Big House & USC. But if they pull the upset in Michigan, all bets are off.

" I can guarantee a substantial schematic advantage, every week."

-Charlie Weis and his 4 Super Bowl Rings.

893392[/snapback]

I hope you're right!

I'll be at the opener in Pitt. this weekend to check them out... 9-2 seems like a stretch to me, but in a year or two the Irish will be back!

My biggest problem with N.D, Listening to there network B.S during games.

As much as I beleive in college football tradition, is hard for me to say this, But

if I were Michigan, Usc, etc... the big schools I wouldnt play N.d.. I know if N.d was

playing the army, airforce marines  :D  There ratings would go down, this would then force N.D hand to join a conference. But as long as The Bigten, Pacten, keep playing them, why should they join a conference. I hate this bcs thing, back when

there was no bcs, teams would play tougher teams, which would equal better games. Its hard to get up for a mid major or whatever. The sooner N.d realizes there no longer the darling of college football anymore, the better.

912434[/snapback]

This shows little forethought - those schools play ND because it has always guarenteed them a nationally televised audience and a big payday. I hate to break it to you, but Michigan, USC, etc. don't give a Athena whether or not ND is in a conference. As long as people watch, they will play them.

And while ND is about 12 years removed from the elite, they have had a few good seasons sprinkled in. They also have plenty of alumni, both real and subway and national in scope, that still won't miss a game if it's on. The fact is that most other teams, even the elite ones, don't bring in the numbers like ND does for a big game, and even there lower tier games usually compete very well with the regional choices.

It's all about money - you want to change it, have a playoff - but even if you do, ND will still have it's national contract and stay independant.

... and once Charlie starts having his way your whole premise is moot :D

The Irish have a brutal schedule this year.  They will come out of Pitt 0-1 and it is a long road from there.  They are at least a year away for Charlie.

956456[/snapback]

Wanna NFL pre-season lasting sigline bet based on the line?

Pitt is 3.5 point favorite, I'll take that and we control siglines until kickoff Sunday Sept 11.

And paybe we can side bet that by halfway through the 3rd Wanstadt will have that "what the hell is going on out there" smirk that I came to know all too well while he ruined my NFL team.