[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julius Jones is overrated

giantsfan

@BAL 30 81 2.7 YPC

CHI 33 150 2 TD 4.5 YPC

@SEA 30 198 3 TD 6.6 YPC

NO 23 88 1 TD 3.8 YPC

@PHI 25 80 3.2 YPC

WSH 22 57 2.6 YPC

Add it up and we have a 4.0 YPC avg. His only 2 good games came against Chi and Sea and they were two of THE worst D's in the league. And his game against NO was especially bad considering their D was awful and he came up a little short against them considering that. Add in that his O is still a question mark and I just don't see what all the hype is about. Now I'm not saying he won't be a good RB, he will get a lot of carries, but some people act as if he's a stud or very close to it and I just don't see it. Someone I see getting bashed by "experts" is Portis yet he had over 1300 yards and 7 total TD's in 14.5 games in a "bad" season. His OL is MUCH better. He's got a season in Wash under his belt. And his QB will be better considering Ramsey is better than Brunell and he started 10 of Portis' 14.5 games. I see "experts" on ESPN saying maybe 1300 yards for Portis, well how if healthy is that a maybe when he had 1300 yards last year in 14.5 games and things around him are better. Or JJ is up there with Deuce, Jamal, Edge, or better than Portis and I don't get it. To me LT, SA, Holmes, Edge, Jamal, Deuce, Portis, McGahee, and maybe Dillion, KJ, and DD are all better than JJ. Again I think he'll be good but a stud or a stud in the making I just can't say that. I was saying this late last year and I'll say it now. Now maybe I'm just worked up because I was just reading some stuff on ESPN and they were talking down Portis and others and acting as if JJ was this stud, and I was like why. Plus he is injury prone.

Edited by giantsfan

Jones only started 8 games last year. So I would say he showed enough potential to warrent a higher rating this year.

My biggest concern is that the QB situation in Dallas is so bad that the passing game won't take enough pressure off to give him some room to run.

But in FF terms, you have a young, promising RB in a system that probably won't be RBBC. That's why he's rated high.

I tend to agree that he's a little overrated right now, and I'm a Dallas homer. I would also take the likes of Deuce, Portis, and Kevin Jones ahead of JJ. That being said, if the kid stays healthy, he'll get the carries to produce, IMO, and is certainly worthy of RB2 and would be an OK RB1 for teams with "wraparound" picks at 1.12/2.01 or 1.10/2.01 when paired with C-Mart, DD or similar. I don't see how Bledsoe is a downgrade at QB and the rest of that offense is back in place. My only worry (due to changes from last year) is that A-train steals some goal-line love.

Is Giantsfan bashing him because he hates the Cowboys?

Julius Jones is much better than a lot of RB's... Chief Dick's response was right on.

872010[/snapback]

It has zero to do with that trust me. I don't mix fantasy football and real life football. Just look at the numbers that's all. 2 huge games against awful D's the rest he was average or below average, and his O isn't good. Again I'm not saying he's awful but I am saying there are 10 or so better RB's for this year that's all. To me his isn't top 10.

Jones only started 8 games last year.  So I would say he showed enough potential to warrent a higher rating this year.

My biggest concern is that the QB situation in Dallas is so bad that the passing game won't take enough pressure off to give him some room to run.

But in FF terms, you have a young, promising RB in a system that probably won't be RBBC. That's why he's rated high.

871868[/snapback]

Good points here Chief, I agree unless Bledsoe and WRs play better than expected Jones will see too many stacked lines. I think Witten should take some of the pressure off, but we'll see if Jones can be an every down back this year. I think some are taking him a bit too high in mocks but who knows.

Again I'm not saying he's awful but I am saying there are 10 or so better RB's for this year that's all. To me his isn't top 10.

872078[/snapback]

I don't know where ya'll are getting this Jones is overrated/overhyped stuff. I've heard this before. Regardless of what you're hearing, just check out some draft trackers for ADP. Everyone I've seen shows that the vast majority of people feel exactly the same way you do. The Huddle/My Fantasy League draft tracker has his ADP at something like 14.5 overall and 11.something out of RBs. Hell, because I've done some research, when I see a title to a thread like JJones is overrated I expect to see evidence that should make him a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder not an argument that puts him right smack in the draft where just about everyone else on earth has him.

I don't know where ya'll are getting this Jones is overrated/overhyped stuff.  I've heard this before.  Regardless of what you're hearing, just check out some draft trackers for ADP.  Everyone I've seen shows that the vast majority of people feel exactly the same way you do.  The Huddle/My Fantasy League draft tracker has his ADP at something like 14.5 overall and 11.something out of RBs.  Hell, because I've done some research, when I see a title to a thread like JJones is overrated I expect to see evidence that should make him a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder not an argument that puts him right smack in the draft where just about everyone else on earth has him.

872152[/snapback]

That is a fair point. Some do have him in that area, but I'll also seen places that have him above the Portis', Deuces', and Jamal's of the world. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word overrated. Maybe I should have said something like good but...

He could easily be the Kevan Barlow of this years draft....talented but not enough of a passing game to take any pressure of teams stacking the line against me... trust me I drafted Barlow 15th last year and ruined the start of the season...

It has zero to do with that trust me. I don't mix fantasy football and real life football. Just look at the numbers that's all. 2 huge games against awful D's the rest he was average or below average, and his O isn't good. Again I'm not saying he's awful but I am saying there are 10 or so better RB's for this year that's all. To me his isn't top 10.

872078[/snapback]

isn't that what he should do, beat the crap out of the bad teams and play strong against the best. My god he had vinny and no wr's last year and he still put up 819yds and 7tds in 8 games. Give him Drew and healthy wr's and he COULD have a great year. Know your stuff

isn't that what he should do, beat the crap out of the bad teams and play strong against the best.  My god he had vinny and no wr's last year and he still put up 819yds and 7tds in 8 games. Give him Drew and healthy wr's and he COULD have a great year.  Know your stuff

872649[/snapback]

I must have missed when these #'s constituted "playing strong against the best".

@BAL 30 81 2.7 YPC

NO 23 88 1 TD 3.8 YPC

@PHI 25 80 3.2 YPC

WSH 22 57 2.6 YPC

That's 1 TD, a little over a 3 YPC avgerage, and zero 100 yard games. So if you take out his two very big games against teams that we could play better D then if we got a team together right now his numbers are below average. Plus have you seen Bledsoe play the last 1.5 years? He may be worse than Vinny and even less mobile if that's possible. He's been awful. And the fact that he is SO mistake prone will take chances away from the O. Plus if I was a Giants fan so I am anti-Cowboy why did I talk up Portis of the REDSKINS above? You know your stuff my friend. This isn't Bledsoe of the mid and late 90's, JJ wasn't strong against the best, and if you say he had no WR's last year what's different this year? The only thing going for Dallas over last year is their D should be MUCH better which should put the O in better positions, but the other stuff you mentioned doesn't add up.

:D Baltimore, Phily and the Redskins sure had $hitty defenses last year.

The only concerns with Jones is his durability and A-Train hawking TDs. I'd like to see more than draws and expect we will this year.

Overrated? I have no idea it is bad karma for me to draft players from the Greatest Franchise in the History of Professional Sports. WHich will now be abbreviated as GFHPS.

Edited by Clubfoothead

:D Baltimore, Phily and the Redskins sure had $hitty defenses last year. 

The only concerns with Jones is his durability and A-Train hawking TDs.  I'd like to see more than draws and expect we will this year. 

Overrated?  I have no idea it is bad karma for me to draft players from the Greatest Franchise in the History of Professional Sports.  WHich will now be abbreviated as GFHPS.

872901[/snapback]

You're playing Fantasy Soccer? That Manchester United sure is a beast, though! :D

I must have missed when these #'s constituted "playing strong against the best".

@BAL 30 81 2.7 YPC

NO 23 88 1 TD 3.8 YPC

@PHI 25 80 3.2 YPC

WSH 22 57 2.6 YPC

That's 1 TD, a little over a 3 YPC avgerage, and zero 100 yard games. So if you take out his two very big games against teams that we could play better D then if we got a team together right now his numbers are below average. Plus have you seen Bledsoe play the last 1.5 years? He may be worse than Vinny and even less mobile if that's possible. He's been awful. And the fact that he is SO mistake prone will take chances away from the O. Plus if I was a Giants fan so I am anti-Cowboy why did I talk up Portis of the REDSKINS above? You know your stuff my friend. This isn't Bledsoe of the mid and late 90's, JJ wasn't strong against the best, and if you say he had no WR's last year what's different this year? The only thing going for Dallas over last year is their D should be MUCH better which should put the O in better positions, but the other stuff you mentioned doesn't add up.

872807[/snapback]

Review the games one more time,

Bal-losing most of that game, YOU don't rush the ball when behind expecially if a great defence.

NO-Good game, fell behind in the 2qtr, then you PASS when losing.

Phi - Great game by both teams, score 12 to 7, but fell short.

WSH - BAD game- He's was a ROOKIE.

He may not be the next Walter but he does deserve to be picked where he is.

Review the games one more time,

Bal-losing most of that game, YOU don't rush the ball when behind expecially if a great defence.

NO-Good game, fell behind in the 2qtr, then you PASS when losing.

Phi - Great game by both teams, score 12 to 7,  but fell short. 

WSH - BAD game- He's was a ROOKIE.

He may not be the next Walter but he does deserve to be picked where he is.

873100[/snapback]

Again I'm not understanding. He had 30 carries in the Balt game so he did get the carries. And the other 3 he had a minimum of 22 carries in all. With all that said he didn't average 4 YPC in any. When you get 30 carries in a game you are behind in as you said shouldn't he get more yards because the D is playing pass. My only point is I just don't know if he is going to be a stud like many think. Based on the #'s and the fact that his O is a little questionable I just don't know if I see stud. Good RB who will get his carries yes, but stud to be I don't know. Not trying to be a pain I just don't know that's all. Here's the great thing time will tell all.

Again I'm not understanding. He had 30 carries in the Balt game so he did get the carries. And the other 3 he had a minimum of 22 carries in all. With all that said he didn't average 4 YPC in any. When you get 30 carries in a game you are behind in as you said shouldn't he get more yards because the D is playing pass. My only point is I just don't know if he is going to be a stud like many think. Based on the #'s and the fact that his O is a little questionable I just don't know if I see stud. Good RB who will get his carries yes, but stud to be I don't know. Not trying to be a pain I just don't know that's all. Here's the great thing time will tell all.

873177[/snapback]

Look, you want to draft Kevin Winslow, Jr. or something over Julius Jones, more power to you, be my guest. However, to say he's overrated as the 13-15th RB is odd. He's currently 15 overall at MFL link, which seems about right to me.

Think what you want, but if you are going to hilight those 4 games, you need to put them in context. In 8 games he totaled 197 rushes, 819 yards, 7 TDs and averaged 4.2 ypc. his 5 carries for 16 yards and a snapped freaking shoulder blade against the Browns are counted in those 8 game total although I'll argue he really only competed in 7 games. As a rookie. Before you isolate his 4 worst games as a rookie when 3 of the 4 were against some of the better defenses in the NFL to conclude he is overrated, you should probably reconsider his season.

He started out hurt with a bum ankle and DNP against the Vikes. Then, again, had 5 carries and 16 yards and broke his shoulder blade. He came back at least a week early and carried the ball 30 times in Baltimore. Not his best game but not a bad one considering you should probably see this as his first healthy start as a pro, but whatever.

Again, the Saint's game was a bad game and he still scored. He had a broke shoulder balde in the Cleveland game. The other three games you've isolated were against against the Beagles, Deadskins and Ravens, all top 10 defenses. Not bad for a rookie.

I think he's right about where he should be.

OK Cool it! J. Jones is not going to be last years Barlow! LOL you thinking that you need your head checked! The passing game is not the best but lets talk fact!

Last year! Vinny was leadingthe league at a point and if JJ would have been there health everyone would have him up there with Willis! I guess J.P. Losman is a proving VET! Yeah right! If your going to talk Julius you better be talking late 1st 11th or later to sometime in the second! Trust!! Don't get it twisted!

OK Cool it! J. Jones is not going to be last years Barlow! LOL you thinking that you need your head checked! The passing game is not the best but lets talk fact!

Last year! Vinny was leadingthe league at a point and if JJ would have been there health everyone would have him up there with Willis! I guess J.P. Losman is a proving VET! Yeah right! If your going to talk Julius you better be talking late 1st 11th or later to sometime in the second! Trust!! Don't get it twisted!

874108[/snapback]

I totally agree with that. No way is he last years Barlow. Barlow was a huge bust. As for me I'd take JJ in the 16-18 range which still puts him in the first half of the second round in 12 teams leagues and mid late second round in 10 team leagues. Again I already said I shouldn't have used the word overrated. But I have seen some/most in the 8-12 range and I think that's a little high. So the title of this thread by me was incorrect and too strong. I guess when it gets right down to it I think he's 5 to 7 spots too high.

I totally agree with that. No way is he last years Barlow. Barlow was a huge bust. As for me I'd take JJ in the 16-18 range which still puts him in the first half of the second round in 12 teams leagues and mid late second round in 10 team leagues. Again I already said I shouldn't have used the word overrated. But I have seen some/most in the 8-12 range and I think that's a little high. So the title of this thread by me was incorrect and too strong. I guess when it gets right down to it I think he's 5 to 7 spots too high.

874163[/snapback]

Besides the games you mentioned, he did gash the G-Men for 149/46/1 in week 17 as well. :D

The Baltimore game was his first, after a long injury lay-off. Gotta give him a mulli for that. Overall, you're right, he was somewhat sub-par against the tougher teams. But I think over and above the numbers, people just see an enormous amount of potential in this kid with his speed and pure running instincts.

Edited by Glabra

people just see an enormous amount of potential in this kid with his speed and pure running instincts.

874180[/snapback]

He does have that thing, doesn't he? Man, if you watched him at all last year and I did about 6 times, you'd know why people are high on him. He's special. He may not be in the perfect situation but he is special nonetheless.

He does have that thing, doesn't he?  Man, if you watched him at all last year and I did about 6 times, you'd know why people are high on him.  He's special.  He may not be in the perfect situation but he is special nonetheless.

874205[/snapback]

I first noticed him when he was at ND. He was surrounded by a crappy O, but simply stood out even there. Not to go overboard, but he does have a bit of that Barry Sanders magic that makes you want to sit and watch.

He does have that thing, doesn't he?  Man, if you watched him at all last year and I did about 6 times, you'd know why people are high on him.  He's special.  He may not be in the perfect situation but he is special nonetheless.

874205[/snapback]

I agree with this. Every time I saw him on the TV, there was just something about the kid. I even agree with the comment about Sanders -- not that they are the same kind of back, obviously, but he just invokes that same kind of "feeling" you got when you first saw Barry run in the NFL.

And you can tweak the stats the other way (once you add in the G-men game in Week 17): He started seven times last year. He was second in the league in rushing yards per start (114, behind Bettis at 123/per start in six games, and ahead of Priest at 111/yps in eight starts -- Portis was 15th and McAllister was 22nd). Jones was 5th among RBs in total yards per start (Portis 18th, McAllister 25th), and 5th among RBs in TDs per start (Portis 27th, McAllister 16th). For a rookie in a bad situation, those are some pretty impressive stats.

I have him easily in my top 10 RBs.