[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Have first pick - Manning or LT

Have the first pick and agonizing over who to take. Manning would be a great choice but have gone with the RB/RB over the last 5+ years and that strategy has done well. Below is my scoring for QB.....then below that is for RB. Take a look and let me know what you think...

My choice is LT or Manning.... :D

YARDAGE SCORING

0 - 199 PaYds = 1 point for every 10 PaYds

200 - 299 PaYds = 1.5 points for every 10 PaYds

300 - 349 PaYds = 2 points for every 10 PaYds

350 - 399 PaYds = 3 points for every 10 PaYds

400 - 500 PaYds = 5 points for every 10 PaYds

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 300+ PaYd

In addition - QB gets bonus for the LENGTH OF THE TD

Plus 6 points for a PaTD of 0 to 9 Yds

Plus 9 points for a PaTD of 10 to 34 Yds

Plus 12 points for a PaTD of 35 to 49 Yds

Plus 15 points for a PaTD of 50 to 100 Yds

RUSHING TD for QBs

Plus 12 points for a RuTD of 0 to 9 Yds

Plus 18 points for a RuTD of 10 to 34 Yds

Plus 24 points for a RuTD of 35 to 49 Yds

Plus 30 points for a RuTD of 50 to 100 Yds

RUNNING BACK SCORING

RB SCORING - yardage

0 - 99 RuYds = 1 point for every 10 RuYds

100 - 149 RuYds = 3 points for every 10 RuYds

150 - 199 RuYds = 4 points for every 10 RuYds

200 - 400 RuYds = 5 points for every 10 RuYds

Plus a 5 point bonus @ 100+ RuYd

RECEIVING TDs :D

Plus 12 points for a ReTD of 0 to 9 Yds

Plus 18 points for a ReTD of 10 to 34 Yds

Plus 24 points for a ReTD of 35 to 49 Yds

Plus 30 points for a ReTD of 50 to 100 Yds

RUSHING TDs

Plus 6 points for a RuTD of 0 to 9 Yds

Plus 9 points for a RuTD of 10 to 34 Yds

Plus 12 points for a RuTD of 35 to 49 Yds

Plus 15 points for a RuTD of 50 to 100 Yds

THANKS IN ADVANCE

It's performance scoring, even here you shouldn't pass up LT. It definitely raises Mannings value, but it doesn't make him the #1 pick. Go with Tomlinson. With the heavy weight on rushing QB's, CPep's value increases quite a bit as well. Doubt he'll be there but he'd be a steal in the 2nd round.

I agree with LT being a great choice...it is difficult to pick LT [1300+ Yrds [7th in the league] and 17TD over

Manning [49TD - which will not be repeated but I can still see 40] and 4500+yrds passing.

The RB has a great value due to the limited greats at the position but I think the mid tier RBs have increased.

The only problem with takeing Manning first means I'll get a #15-20 rated back.

Any thoughts ?

thanks!

I'd take LT ... how did their overall scoring compare last year?

876633[/snapback]

FPTS

Manning, Peyton QB IND 1041.5

Culpepper, Daunte QB MIN 952

McNabb, Donovan QB PHI 822

Bulger, Marc QB STL 604.5

Green, Trent QB KC 480.5

Brooks, Aaron QB NO 460

Alexander, Shaun RB SEA 454

Favre, Brett QB GB 425.5

Barber, Tiki RB NYG 400

Tomlinson, LaDainian RB SD 381

QBs are weighted pretty heavily as you can see...I was surprised Barber had a better year FPTS wise..

FPTS

Manning, Peyton QB IND          1041.5

Culpepper, Daunte QB MIN 952

McNabb, Donovan QB PHI        822

Bulger, Marc QB STL            604.5

Green, Trent QB KC            480.5

Brooks, Aaron QB NO            460

Alexander, Shaun RB SEA          454

Favre, Brett QB GB              425.5

Barber, Tiki RB NYG              400

Tomlinson, LaDainian RB SD 381

QBs are weighted pretty heavily as you can see...I was surprised Barber had a better year FPTS wise..

876661[/snapback]

Well seeing that I say you take Manning. From Manning, the # 1 QB, to Bulger, the # 4 QB, was a 435 point dropoff. Then from Manning to Green, the # 5 QB, was a 560 point dropoff. There is no way from LT to the 10th RB lets say is a 400 point dropoff in your scoring because LT didn't even get 400 points himself last year. Unless you are 99% sure you can get McNabb or C-Pep with your 2nd pick, and with your scoring I doubt you can, I'd take Manning there and grab RB's with your next 2 picks.

LT easily.

Just like in baseball a tie goes to the runner. You scoring system seems pretty standard performance with bonuses. In a standard scoring system I say LT over Manning for all the reasons I think LT is, without a doubt the #1 overall pick. So I limit my bull$hit to yer bonus scoring:

Bonus 1 - 100+/300+

I figure the odds on any given week of LT rushing for 100 or more yards is roughly equal to the odds of Manning passing for 300 or more. Push.

Bonus 2 - Length of TD

At first glance I though this category went to Manning. Upon further review, I see a 10 yard rushing TD scores more than a 100yard passing TD. Edge, LT.

Bonus 3 - the Unusual

Your scoring system places a HUGH premium on players scoring when they are doing what they usually don't. At a minimum when a QB runs for a TD he gets twice the points as a passing. When a RB catches a TD pass, it is a minimum 12 points and so on. If Manning ever was a rushing QB, he hasn't ben since 2002. Since 2002 he has 53 carries for 64 yards and no TDs. In the same time period LT has caught 153 passes for 1,166 yards and 5 TDs. He has also thrown 3 passes, completing 2, 1 for a 21 yard TD. In this category since 2002, Tomlinson has outscored Manning by a minimum (assuming all receiving TDs were 9 yards or less) of 60-0 and if he'd have gotten a bonus for that 21 yard TD pass, he'd have outscored Manning 78-0. Edge LT.

LT. :D

I think using a philosophy that I believe club has posted in other links would help you out greatly. He would probably describe it better than I could.

Project what rb's you would get in the draft as your starters if you took Manning in the 1st round. Figure out if Manning + those 2 rb's would give you greater points combined than if you went Tomlinson-RB-QB (or LT-QB-RB).

At a quick glance it looks like Manning racks up the points in your league but if the rest of your draft results in players that dont score in your league your team may be better off with LT.

Looking at the actual results from last season, and seeing how the QB points for yardage go up to 1.5 pts. per 10 yards after 200, while RBs have to get over 100 yds to get the same rate, this is one of the few times that Manning is a very easy selection.

Based on your scoring system (and last years results) you clearly need to go Manning over LT. Giantsfan pointed out the obvious point differences from QB's to RB's.

No way you can make up the points between Manning and LT or even Culpepper and LT. The point drop between the #1 RB (Alexander) and #3 RB (LT) was 73 points. (or 4.5 per game) the drop off from #1 QB (Manning) to #3 QB (McNabb) was 220 (or 14 per game). HUGH difference.

You can project which RB's would be available in the 2nd and 3rd round. I suspect that at least 3 QB's will be gone and maybe a WR or three. Depending on how many teams are in your league, that would leave you about the 14th or 16th best back(s) available. Figure out the drop off and see what the difference is.

Bonus 3 - the Unusual

Your scoring system places a HUGH premium on players scoring when they are doing what they usually don't.  At a minimum when a QB runs for a TD he gets twice the points as a passing.  When a RB catches a TD pass, it is a minimum 12 points and so on.  If Manning ever was a rushing QB, he hasn't ben since 2002.  Since 2002 he has 53 carries for 64 yards and no TDs.  In the same time period LT has caught 153 passes for 1,166 yards and 5 TDs.  He has also thrown 3 passes, completing 2, 1 for a 21 yard TD.  In this category since 2002, Tomlinson has outscored Manning by a minimum (assuming all receiving TDs were 9 yards or less) of 60-0 and if he'd have gotten a bonus for that 21 yard TD pass, he'd have outscored Manning 78-0.  Edge LT.

LT.  :D

876687[/snapback]

Case closed Edited to note that Case Closed was my comment not Club's Edited by Hardrocker

877015[/snapback]

Of course further analysis of the increase in QB points for passing yrds over 200 does put it back to Manning.

Lesson learned here for me is KNOW the scoring system for a league FIRST!!!! :D

LT easily. 

Just like in baseball a tie goes to the runner.  You scoring system seems pretty standard performance with bonuses.  In a standard scoring system I say LT over Manning for all the reasons I think LT is, without a doubt the #1 overall pick.  So I limit my bull$hit to yer bonus scoring:

Bonus 1 - 100+/300+

I figure the odds on any given week of LT rushing for 100 or more yards is roughly equal to the odds of Manning passing for 300 or more.  Push.

Bonus 2 - Length of TD

At first glance I though this category went to Manning.  Upon further review, I see a 10 yard rushing TD scores more than a 100yard passing TD.  Edge, LT.

Bonus 3 - the Unusual

Your scoring system places a HUGH premium on players scoring when they are doing what they usually don't.  At a minimum when a QB runs for a TD he gets twice the points as a passing.  When a RB catches a TD pass, it is a minimum 12 points and so on.  If Manning ever was a rushing QB, he hasn't ben since 2002.  Since 2002 he has 53 carries for 64 yards and no TDs.  In the same time period LT has caught 153 passes for 1,166 yards and 5 TDs.  He has also thrown 3 passes, completing 2, 1 for a 21 yard TD.  In this category since 2002, Tomlinson has outscored Manning by a minimum (assuming all receiving TDs were 9 yards or less) of 60-0 and if he'd have gotten a bonus for that 21 yard TD pass, he'd have outscored Manning 78-0.  Edge LT.

LT.  :D

876687[/snapback]

Gotta disagree with you club.

On point 1 -

100 Rushing yards for an RB is 15 pts., 150 rushing is 30 pts.

Now, 200 passing is 20 pts, 300 passing is 40 points, and 350 passing is 50 points

Gotta say Manning is more likely to have more 300 yard games (40 pts.) than LT is to have 150 yard games (30 pts, 10 less)

Point 2 -

Where do you see this?

A 10 yard rushing score is 9 points for a RB.

A 100 yard passing TD is 15 points.

RB rushing TDs and QB passing TDs are scored the same for distance.... sorry, but LT will have more 6 pt TDs from within 10 yards. but Manning will blow him out of the water racking 9 or 12 pts. for everything over 10 yards and under 50 yards.

I will stick to my guns and say that other than pt. 3, which has to be a very minor consideration (LT did have a passing TD in 2003, and has averaged just over 2 receiving TDs a season), everything about this scoring system is screaming that Manning is FAR AND AWAY the #1 selection.

I missed the scoring after 100 yards which favors Maning; however my point #3 for Tomlinson's recieving TDs comes from this:

RUNNING BACK SCORING

RECEIVING TDs

I'll take LT catching over Manning rushing 24/7.

Now the points over 100 yards I missed which makes it closer.

I still like LT because of reasons 1-4 (1 a push, 2 LT, 3 LT and now 4 Manning). Besides as you know I just don't like QBs early. Maybe I'm too much into VBDing but I don't think the RB position is anywhere as deep as everyone is making it out to be. The ONLY way I could advise taking Manning #1 overall is if the owner is then committed to going RB-RB with the 2.12 and 3.01.

I'll stand by my original conclusion while admitting it is a closer call now. I missed the over 100 yard stuff. :doah:

I missed the scoring after 100 yards which favors Maning; however my point #3 for Tomlinson's recieving TDs comes from this:

RUNNING BACK SCORING

RECEIVING TDs 

I'll take LT catching over Manning rushing 24/7.

Now the points over 100 yards I missed which makes it closer.

I still like LT because of reasons 1-4 (1 a push, 2 LT, 3 LT and now 4 Manning).  Besides as you know I just don't like QBs early.  Maybe I'm too much into VBDing but I don't think the RB position is anywhere as deep as everyone is making it out to be.  The ONLY way I could advise taking Manning #1 overall is if the owner is then committed to going RB-RB with the 2.12 and 3.01. 

I'll stand by my original conclusion while admitting it is a closer call now.  I missed the over 100 yard stuff.  :doah:

877262[/snapback]

And as you know, I don't care for QBs early.. just look at my team in the currently running mock draft.

But, given this scoring system, and looking at the scoring from last year which would be fairly consistent with the last few years, I don't see how you can risk NOT taking Manning here. He outscored the #2 QB by 100 pts, and outscored the #6 QB by 600 points. No RB even came close to scoring 600 points total, let alone have a chance to give you that much of a value boost over an opponent at a single position.

With this scoring system, if you win the QB battle, you win the league hands down.

With this scoring system, if you win the QB battle, you win the league hands down.

877352[/snapback]

You'd have to if Maning goes #1, otherwise, IMHO, you are in trouble.

As an aside, did the guy who had Manning last year win this league and if so handily?

You'd have to if Maning goes #1, otherwise, IMHO, you are in trouble.

As an aside, did the guy who had Manning last year win this league and if so handily?

877468[/snapback]

That's the funny thing....he didn't even make the playoffs !! :D

Manning kept him in alot of games but he bungled the rest of his draft....

Another question....

If I take Manning should I take 2 RB as rd2 and rd3 wrap around or go with a RB and if I can get Reggie Wayne snatch him up...he is good for 1000yrd and at least 8-10 TD + the added bonus of having double TDs ...

I know the con is having that same bye week but at least I get one of PM's WR off the board so someone else can't start em against me....

thnks!

Another question....

If I take Manning should I take 2 RB as rd2 and rd3 wrap around or go with a RB and if I can get Reggie Wayne snatch him up...he is good for 1000yrd and at least 8-10 TD + the added bonus of having double TDs ...

I know the con is having that same bye week but at least I get one of PM's WR off the board so someone else can't start em against me....

thnks!

877886[/snapback]

Go RB/RB.

THe theory of "double TDs" and worryig baout one of your QBs WRs being on another team is a hugely flawed way of looking at things. You need to be worried about the best available players at all positions.

Wayne's TDs count the same as all other WRs, so, if when it comes time to make a pick, and you decide to go WR, take WAyne if he is who you see as the best available WR, don't take him just because you have Manning

Another question....

thnks!

877886[/snapback]

If you take Manning #1 overall, I think there is no way you cannot go RB/RB with the 2.12 and 3.01. The thought of any RB that would be available at 4.12 as a starter has to give you the willies. You'd probably be looking at one of the rookies, if you were lucky.

Good luck.