[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Etiquette Article

Ralph Furley

I had a couple of thoughts on the Fantasy Etiquette Article on the Huddle home page today...actually just two. I'm not saying that I disagree with some of the things, but I am wondering how many people follow some of the "etiquette rules".

The two things that caught my attenetion:

1. DO have all owners vote on controversial trade proposals

I have never had the owners vote on trades in my leagues. From what I have seen here at the Huddle, many people also think this is not a good idea. Is anyone involved in a league that does this? How does it work out?

2. DO switch commissioners

Does anyone do this? I have been commish since the start of my league, and I couldn't imagine handing the reigns over to someone else. Although I think it's important for others to know what a pain in the arse it can be at times, I don't think I'd enjoy having a new commish every year.

It is a great article, but I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were on the above two points.

2.  DO switch commissioners

Does anyone do this?  I have been commish since the start of my league, and I couldn't imagine handing the reigns over to someone else.  Although I think it's important for others to know what a pain in the arse it can be at times, I don't think I'd enjoy having a new commish every year.

It is a great article, but I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were on the above two points.

883603[/snapback]

In my old local that I was in for almost forever, we alternated commish duties every year. Worked out pretty weel for us.

I do not agree with having a voting process. In two of my locals we have always had the commish veto or accept all trade request, however in one of those leagues, 2 seasons ago we tried the voting process and after the first few trades got vetoed in was HELL SHIAT FIRE the rest of the season. It became very childish to say the least.

I figure if someone doesn't like me as commish then they can be replaced next season :D

I would imagine that the majority of leagues can have faith in their commish to do the right thing.

2.  DO switch commissioners

Does anyone do this?  I have been commish since the start of my league, and I couldn't imagine handing the reigns over to someone else.  Although I think it's important for others to know what a pain in the arse it can be at times, I don't think I'd enjoy having a new commish every year.

883603[/snapback]

In my old local that I was in for almost forever, we alternated commish duties every year.  Worked out pretty weel for us.

883613[/snapback]

Yeah, in my oldest and most overall-experienced league, we rotate commish duties yearly. I've taken heat for this here in the past, but the reason we do this is 'cuz this league isn't run online. The guys in the league are all very good friends, and having it offline encourages us talking on the phone, trading emails, etc. The scoring system is pretty easy, and it's actually sort of fun calculating your scores up on Sunday night.

We used to rotate the commissionership in my local ... but about 5 or 6 years ago it got stuck on me ... not sure why

883642[/snapback]

Same here.

Probably because otherwise, nothing would ever get done.

1.  DO have all owners vote on controversial trade proposals

I have never had the owners vote on trades in my leagues.  From what I have seen here at the Huddle, many people also think this is not a good idea.  Is anyone involved in a league that does this?  How does it work out?

883603[/snapback]

This is a little out of context. If you read the article again, you will see the author state that these votes should be initiated by the commish for contoversial trades, not a general voting policy for every trade.

We used to rotate the commissionership in my local ... but about 5 or 6 years ago it got stuck on me ... not sure why

883642[/snapback]

My league has been around for 7 years now. I've been the commish for the last 3. We try to switch it around every couple of years. I haven't had any takers yet.

1.  DO have all owners vote on controversial trade proposals

I have never had the owners vote on trades in my leagues.  From what I have seen here at the Huddle, many people also think this is not a good idea.  Is anyone involved in a league that does this?  How does it work out?

883603[/snapback]

I haven't read all the responses, so my apologies if this has been said.

The key word here is "CONTROVERSIAL". I think the author is not implying that a vote should be made on every trade, just those that have a legitimate complaint/concern stated by a league owner should be brought up for a vote. In my leagues that I run, all trades are automatically processed, however, any owner can file a protest if they believe and can make a claim that there is collusion involved, at which point there would be a vote. This has happened once in 7 years and the trade passed overwhelmingly.

This is a little out of context.  If you read the article again, you will see the author state that these votes should be initiated by the commish for contoversial trades, not a general voting policy for every trade.

883751[/snapback]

Even so, if the commish doesn't have the balls to veto a trade, someone else should probably be commish. Even if it is controversial, why make the matter even worse by involving everyone? I feel it's the commish's job to settle these problems. Isn't that the job of the commish?

the high stakes league I play in, the commish is not an owner. We give him a cut of the purse to run the league. We've done this for about 9-10 years. Only on a rare occasion does a controversy raise its head. We've found this to be acceptable and our commish is happy and fair. In talking to him, the biggest pain he says is the few owners we have that don't access the online site to find which players are available and constantly email him who's available. Plus all the onwers like not being commish since every Thurs. night is bid nite for pick-ups and few of us want that part of the commish job.

Even so, if the commish doesn't have the balls to veto a trade, someone else should probably be commish.  Even if it is controversial, why make the matter even worse by involving everyone?  I feel it's the commish's job to settle these problems.  Isn't that the job of the commish?

883857[/snapback]

I was mearly pointing out the way you represented the article's comment was incorrect.

Yes, the commish should have the balls to veto a trade, but nobody is perfect. If an owner can make a persuasive argument which disagrees with the commish's view, is it THAT unreasonable to have a system in place to allow for the commish to solicit input from the rest of the owners? As long as the determination of when to have a vote is in the hands of the commish, I see no problem with this suggestion.

I am in two leagues, I co-commis one and each one handles the trade situation differently. One league we as commissioners allow or dissallow trades. Although we do post a poll letting everyone know of the trade and vote. If a few people disagree with the trade we will discuss it. Although final say is decided by us, as commissioners.

The other league is strictly by voting process. Needless to say this has caused some big uproars in the past since some people vote "no" just because they feel like it. I have proposed to the commish changing this policy but he doesn't want to be the one taking the heat.