[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Etiquette Article

Ralph Furley

we also have a competition committee that votes on contriversial trades etc.

we do keep the same commish every year though, it is nice to have that one person making sure the league gets running every year. Commish in our league is the guy that yells settle down so we can start the auction. All decisions involve the comp comm. :D

Im commish of my main league and have been for 3 years. As anyone that has been a coimmisionner knows its a hugh headache. I did it because our last guy was unreliable. I got the league back on its feet and now Id like to hand over the reigns and I have no takers..I do get a free team but Id give it up in a second to just be a regular owner. Being commish does take away from time spent running your team IMO. Im the only one that can veto a trade in our league. Giving everyone a chance opens up a big can of worms. The league has been happy with me because I cleaned up the other guys mess but I really want to pass the baton.You definetely have a burn out factor after a few years.

nobody else in my league would have the ability to commish as it's a sportsline league and I'm probably the only one who even uses a computer...

plus, running the league is like babysitting when most of the people don't have computers...

I'm just a sucker, I guess :D

We are entering our 22nd season,  I've run it like Patton for the last 18 years.  :D

We are offline.  :D 

I would keep track of all 12 teams every week, anyway, so why should someone else have to do it, also.  :D

884540[/snapback]

Nice..Thats Old school :D

From personel experiance, voting on trades causes nothing but nightmares. People tend to vote based, NOT on how fair the trade is, but on how it affects them. If they feel 1 guy is getting over on another and he's in direct competition with them(same division, playing them that week, ect..) they will invaribly vote against it. Then there is the jealously factor(wish i could make a trade like that or he wouldn't trade with me), so they vote against it. And there is always the guy who likes to stir the pot and get everybody riled up so others will vote against it.

When your in a friendly league and the stakes are high ($150/man) it's even worse(personel experiance).

I'm a firm believer that no trade should be vetoed unless there is collusion, with the ability of the commish to stop obvious indifference or dumping of players.

JMHO

In both of my permanent leagues, the commish has authority to make the decision. As the commish for one of them, if I see a trade as a blantant attempt at collusion, I will ask the parties involved for an explanation. If an owner doesn't like a trade (that I let pass), I will call for a vote. I have never vetoed a trade. A vote has only been called once (and it still passed).

As for commish duties, we rotate about every 2 or 3 years. I think it works out well (so far).

I had a couple of thoughts on the Fantasy Etiquette Article on the Huddle home page today...actually just two.  I'm not saying that I disagree with some of the things, but I am wondering how many people follow some of the "etiquette rules".

The two things that caught my attenetion:

1.  DO have all owners vote on controversial trade proposals

I have never had the owners vote on trades in my leagues.  From what I have seen here at the Huddle, many people also think this is not a good idea.  Is anyone involved in a league that does this?  How does it work out?

2.  DO switch commissioners

Does anyone do this?   I have been commish since the start of my league, and I couldn't imagine handing the reigns over to someone else.  Although I think it's important for others to know what a pain in the arse it can be at times, I don't think I'd enjoy having a new commish every year.

It is a great article, but I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were on the above two points.

883603[/snapback]

1) In my league, the commish makes the call. But this year (1st season MFL) I decided to put in the check and balance of giving the owners the option to overturn a commish decision. This given option keeps the whinners quiet. It would have to be a have to be a majority. i.e. 10 team league commish and each owner involved = 3. I have it set up to where it would take the remaining 7 to overturn. We have some experienced players so it would have to be a pretty obvious mistake by the commish to be overturned.

2) In my leagues 9 years we have had 3 commissioners. Usually rotating out about 2-3 years. It can be overbearing and a break is needed. We do have assign a different co-commish every year so that everyone gets their feet wet before deciding if they want to take the challenge of being the commish. Doing this usually weeds out the whinners who question alot of decisions by the commish; (put your money where your mouth is) approach and giving them a taste of being co-commish is very humbling to the whinners.

This is my 2nd time being commish in this league. I was commish the first 3 years and know back full circle. The last commish got burned out after 2 years. The position was posted and only 2 ponied up, myself and another guy. Since he did not have the experience, I became commish and he the co-commish.

I believe that if you have an established leauge, at least 3 years with majority 80% high tenure, rotating the commish position every 2-3 or more years would be a great experience for all owners.

Edited by XFlash

I've run every league I've ever been in and in a total of 16 seasons (some years with more then one league), there have been only two occasions where a trade had to be vetoed. One was due to a "lending agreement" that I got wind of (the players would trade back after that one week, allowing a team in need of a win to use an stud RB) and one was due to flip-flopping draft picks (before we moved to an auction) for information. Yes, I caught flack from the offending teams, but fair is fair and as a Commissioner, you have to stand up for what is best for the league. It's not about having brass ones...This is FF and having brass ones is putting your life in harm's way for someone else.

Other than that, we've never had a problem, although our rules clearly state that if a trade looks fishy or so uneven as to be flat out wrong, all owners not involved (including myself, the teams making the trade, and any teams who gain/lose by this trade) vote. We're all experienced enough to not make trades poor enough so as to be questioned.

If the Commissioner is also an owner, there has to be a check on his/her power so they do not abuse it. That's why we clearly have this covered in the rules and have a method to rectify.

As for changing Commissioners, I offer every year to step down if someone wants to run the league, or if owners feel a change is needed. I am close to asking someone to run for a year just to refresh and recharge my batteries. But as was posted earlier, I cannot imagine someone else running the league and I don't feel that anyone would do as good a job as I do. If I am asked to step down, though, I'd do it.

After all, it's not about my ego. It's all about the league and the comaraderie and beating the snot out of someone!!!

1. I wish we had more trades going on in our league, but we had a trade that was transacted many years ago that seriously burned one of the owners in the trade and people have been gun shy since. In order to help get trades going, we have made trades free for the entire season...but still no soap. Sorry, doesn't really address this situation. :D BUT, I am glad this was brought up here, we do not have anything related to how to handle "controversial" trades in our charter. It is time to bring this up in our league for discussion prior to the coming season, me thinks.

2. We used to have the previous season's champion commish our league the following season. A few years ago I won and I was voted as permanent commish since. I made sure a stipulation was made that the previous season's champion does have the right to unseat me and it was added. No takers yet. The commissioner does get a free ride for entry fee, but chips in on league site fees (after all, it does make the commissioner's job easier...or so it is supposed to anyway).