[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TE in 3rd round?

The Myth

Do any of you guys think that getting one of the two top TE's in the 3rd round gives you a step up on the rest of the league? I hesitate to take one so early but I just think about how it creates a mismatch that could mean a head to head win. It's like having an extra WR.

I just did it, I had the 7th spot in the 10 team draft and I knew that I was reaching. I also knew that the value at WR was similar in the next 25 players and after Gonzo and Gates there is a larger drop off. So I took Gonzo in the 3rd round.

People here said I reached and I did. But I thought during the draft that if I didn't take him there he was gone, it also started a small run on TE's that helped some better WR fall back to me.

Before a QB. After at least 2 RBs and 2 WRs.  So for me, 5th rounds at best.  I am; however, keeping Heap over Fitzgerald in a 3 player keeper league.

884948[/snapback]

This is generally speaking. I suppose I could take the right TE over a #2 WR if I had a few WRs in mind and I thought one could slip back to me.

I've been in a local 12-team league for years, and the first TE usually goes very early in the 3rd (and sometimes even late in the 2nd). We play 1 pt per reception, so that does make the top tier TEs as valuable as the RBs and WRs who are still on the board at that point. It really is scoring system (and to a lesser extent, starting lineup composition) dependent though ...

I have often thought about this in drafts as well. We usually get someone who takes a TE in the third or 4rth round....starts a little run, but then it fizzles out for a couple of rounds. Last year my league added 1pt for every two receptions for just the WR and TE's and not the RB's. They did this to try and balance out the worth of RBs to other positions. In looking at our league to last two seasons....I found some interesting things.......

2003 2004

189 14th 223 6th

128 33rd 218 10th

101 47th 180 22nd

101 47th 145 32nd

100 48th 138 34th

The first column is total pts for the season in our league....the second column is where they rank in terms of the WRs for the season. Obviously getting the 1/2 pt per reception helped alot but it seems to have helped the TE's more significantly. So if we were to use the ranking on the huddle for argument sake.... based on the 2004 TE rank in WR's to give us a benchmark of when to draft them...

1st TE J. Walker, J. Horn, R. Wayne

2nd TE A. Johnson, S. Smith, N. Burleson

3rd TE D. Bennet, L. Evans, R. Smith

4rth TE D. Stallworth, J. Porter, K. Colbert, E. Moulds

5th TE same as above

Mavbe I am over analyzing.....but to answer the question....I dont see any problem with taking a TE so early...but I would make sure I had a #1 WR already since you have to start more WRs on your team than TE.... at least in my league we do.

Before a QB. After at least 2 RBs and 2 WRs.  So for me, 5th rounds at best. 

884948[/snapback]

This is generally speaking.  I suppose I could take the right TE over a #2 WR if I had a few WRs in mind and I thought one could slip back to me.

884953[/snapback]

This is generally how I think as well. If the top tier WRs are gone, like if I had a late 3rd round pick, then I'd seriously look at Gonzo, maybe Gates because I know my next WR is just a few picks away after the turn.

Looking at the WR crop this year, and seeing the rise of the TE spot, I don't think it's so crazy anymore to reach for someone like Gates or Gonzo.

After the top 5-8 WRs are scooped up, you have a real mess this year. If you find yourself with a choice between someone like Mason or Gates....

...sh*t grab Gates, watch people start to scramble for 2nd tier TE's, then grab someone like Fitz and/or Burelson later on.

Risky to take a TE at 3, but if you have confidence in some of your sleeper picks, go for it

885278[/snapback]

Yep. Gonzo & Gates are not bad compared to the top WRs anyway ... beyond those two, I wouldn't do it ... But if you could walk away from the first three rounds with 2 solid RBs and one of the top TEs, you'd be sitting pretty if you can score a surprise WR later on ...

I think it depends on your pick - if you have 2 decent running backs on the board and your at the beginning of the 3rd try to reach a tier 1 reciever - if your at the middle or end of the 3rd and you can reach Gates or Gonz I say do it - always try to get a difference maker with each pick - you will need to hit value later in your draft if you pick a TE early though.