[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rod Gardner

rajncajn

Just saw a news blurb where the Skins are saying, once again, that Gardner won't play for them in 05. I'm just wondering what the holdup is on his release? Do the Skins actually think that someone is going to pony up for a player that they know is going to be on the market soon anyway?

And what's the deal with him? I know there were high expectations for him coming out of school, but it seems to me that his problems could have very well been tied more to the team being crappy rather than his play. Of course I could be wrong so I'd like to hear it from those in the know. Is Gardner a bust or does he still have that potential if he lands on the right team?

He's got some potential, as long as your expectations aren't too high.

He has talent and size, but his work ethic is less than stellar, he runs sloppy routes, and is very inconsistent when it comes to pass-catching. He'll have some games when he's unstoppable, and the very next week he's got stone hands.

He's probably worth a third- or fourth-rounder just based on talent, but the Skins have made it obvious he won't play for them this year, so every other team is just waiting for them to cut him.

I've got a feeling the Panthers would be very interested. They want a bigger possession receiver to replace Moose.  He would start ahead of Colbert IMO.

889333[/snapback]

I HIGHLY doubt Gardner would start ahead of Colbert...

I've got a feeling the Panthers would be very interested. They want a bigger possession receiver to replace Moose.  He would start ahead of Colbert IMO.

889333[/snapback]

We must listen to the same sports talk shows!! It's a popular opinion in Charlotte that the Panthers would jump all over him if he was released. I think he would be a great addition to the Panthers WR corp. He would add much needed depth, but can't see him starting in favor of Colbert.

I'm no expert, but I know the Panthers would like a larger target on the field. Smith is back as the vertical threat, and Gardner would give them the bigger receiver they want. Colbert is an emerging talent, but he struggles with coverage. I think he would benefit being the slot receiver.

I HIGHLY doubt Gardner would start ahead of Colbert...

889336[/snapback]

It really depends on their plans for their passing game. As of right now, Gardner is much better suited to the NFL game(in most schemes) than Colbert. I could see it.

Just saw a news blurb where the Skins are saying, once again, that Gardner won't play for them in 05. I'm just wondering what the holdup is on his release? Do the Skins actually think that someone is going to pony up for a player that they know is going to be on the market soon anyway?

And what's the deal with him? I know there were high expectations for him coming out of school, but it seems to me that his problems could have very well been tied more to the team being crappy rather than his play. Of course I could be wrong so I'd like to hear it from those in the know. Is Gardner a bust or does he still have that potential if he lands on the right team?

888235[/snapback]

I think Gardner is a bust. I have never been impressed with him, to be honest. I think he may be a #3 WR at best on a club, and nothing more. The hype was there--but I have yet to see the production.

his 2002 stats seem like a distant memory. was that a Steve Spurrier year anyways?

i wouldn't expect jack from this guy. i don't think i'd expect anything from him if he went to the right team like CHI, TEN, ATL, PHI

no team wants to highlight a player who isn't consistent catching everything. dropping 3rd n 7 passes is not good in the NFL

but really... why hasn't he been released yet? He has been excused from all offseason activity. he is all but assured that he'll be released. i would be pissed if I was Gardner cause I would want time to latch on to another team.

Link

CAR - Panthers Interested In WR Gardner

Clipped from: Washington Post article by Jason La Canfora, 7/21/05

The Redskins are expected to release wide receiver Rod Gardner, which would create $2.1 million in cap space. Gardner, a former first-round pick, was granted permission to seek a trade shortly after the season ended. He did not train with the team and Coach Joe Gibbs has said he would not participate in training camp if still on the roster.

An NFL source said Carolina has expressed some interest in Gardner, but with most clubs expecting the wide receiver to eventually be released there have been no substantial trade offers.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

As a former first-round pick with a 1,000-yard season under his belt, Gardner will be snatched up quickly by another team if the Redskins release him. If he lands in Carolina, it would probably be as the third WR behind Steve Smith and Keary Colbert.

i would be pissed if I was Gardner cause I would want time to latch on to another team.

890544[/snapback]

I believe this is a pure and simple business move, nothing personal. Unless I'm mistaken, it's better for the Skins cap if they release him after a certain date...like after TC begins or something like that.

Gardner would be no better with Carolina! Gardner is no Muhammed and can't be the across the middle possession WR they need...Smith and Colbert are field stretchers....Proehl is fearless but not an every down possession type...Gardner would only fit if he can be the middle man who draws LB's and safeties so Smith and Colbert can get man to man...Gardner is not the man..Hankto would play better IMO in that position...let Gardner go..and leave him gone IMO.. :doah: