[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Opening Day--Sept 11

Chief Dick

• 11 months later...

Hard to believe ten years have passed... I remember I was in San Fransicso on a business trip and I went out early and caught the 49er game on Sunday (Vick's first pro game), then went to the Oakland A's game that Monday night. Got a call from my sister waking me up the morning after the baseball game, around 5:50am PST, asking me where I was. I thought that was a strange question to ask me randomly, but then she explained and told me to turn on the TV. I actually had to deliver training to an accounting firm that day, but it was pretty pointless. None of us could really concentrate. And I couldn't get home for five days. Finally got on a flight back to Detroit from San Fran five days later on Saturday. Those were some of the longest, loneliest days I've ever had... had I not been 2,000 miles from home and by myself, I would have rented a car. Believe me, I wasn't exactly thrilled to be getting on a plane so soon after... I had just been in New York on August 11, my first time there. Little did I know it would be the only time in my life I would lay eyes on those towers in person. So glad I don't travel that much anymore.

Scooby said:
Mine and Scooby's Anniversary. "don't forget the rubber sheets and the gerbils" - Eddy in Christmas Vacation.

I am thinking ... drop the kids of at Nanna's for church then pop the champagne at noon. Get kids later, muuuuch later :usa:

With all due respect to your anniversary, this thread is NOT about you.

Edited by Big John

Chief Dick said:
With all due respect to your anniversary, this thread is NOT about you.

It is about everyone's rememberence. My experience included. Look at it this way Cheif, both are anniversaries. Both are on the same day. I have a unique perspective about 9/11 that no one else on this website can share. Try to imagine yourself having to drive from Las Vegas to Dallas in a UHaul with only luggage and your wife's wedding dress in it. Imagine yourself going to Hoover Damm, and the police telling you to turn around b/c you are in a non passenger vehicle. We had to go to west to go east (made us go through Needles Cali.) We were in that vehicle, btw, b/c the airports were closed and noone knew how the hell to get out of Vegas. There were no shows, the gaming tables were empty. This was to be the happiest day of ourt life. Instead our honeymoon was cut short the day of our marriage, thanks to the terrorists.

Fast forward to you ... now tell me that 9/11 impacted your life more. I don't think you can. If we hadn't set that date, She was to be in the Marriott WTC that week for business. Thank God we told our employer to screw off, otherwise she woulda been in one of the towers that day. Now agian, Cheif, tell me, was my life impacted by 9/11?

Now that you have read this, I think I deserve to write anything about 9/11 that I want to. Peace be with you as you worry about what I should and should not type. :usa:

And I might add that 9/11 is as sacred to me as Christmas and Easter.

Edited by Big John

Scooby said:
It is about everyone's rememberence. My experience included. Look at it this way Cheif, both are anniversaries. Both are on the same day. I have a unique perspective about 9/11 that no one else on this website can share. Try to imagine yourself having to drive from Las Vegas to Dallas in a UHaul with only luggage and your wife's wedding dress in it. Imagine yourself going to Hoover Damm, and the police telling you to turn around b/c you are in a non passenger vehicle. We had to go to west to go east (made us go through Needles Cali.) We were in that vehicle, btw, b/c the airports were closed and noone knew how the hell to get out of Vegas. There were no shows, the gaming tables were empty. This was to be the happiest day of ourt life. Instead our honeymoon was cut short the day of our marriage, thanks to the terrorists.

Fast forward to you ... now tell me that 9/11 impacted your life more. I don't think you can. If we hadn't set that date, She was to be in the Marriott WTC that week for business. Thank God we told our employer to screw off, otherwise she woulda been in one of the towers that day. Now agian, Cheif, tell me, was my life impacted by 9/11?

Now that you have read this, I think I deserve to write anything about 9/11 that I want to. Peace be with you as you worry about what I should and should not type. :usa:

And I might add that 9/11 is as sacred to me as Christmas and Easter.

You know, if you post this the first time, I'm cool with it. But the flip way you talk about dropping the kids off so you can get you some just rubbed me the wrong way.

Edited by Big John

:usa:

I posted mine in another thread in the TG. Maybe Big John can link it. In short, I was working an evening shift at the time and I was up early with my, then 2yo, daughter. I happened to be watching the news just as it broke. I'll never forget, all I could do was stand in my living room and cry. Of course my daughter was too young to understand and all she wanted to do was play. I just hugged her & held her tight. I spent the rest of the morning with her playing and watching the news.

Edited by Big John

• 11 months later...

I was watching some of those specials as well, one I hadn't seen before was about the people in the Marriot Hotel at the WTC site. When that ended there was another with vidoes/photos taken by people nearby, had seen that before but had trouble turning it off. Still a very shocking thing to see. This will be something that most will never forget.

I'm surprised nobody responded to this today, or posted anything in the Tailgate remembering this day. Never thought I would see that at the huddle.

I guess for some it's not really something some people want to discuss. For me it's not that I don't remember or don't care. Just the opposite actually. It's like after a loved one dies and people continue to give you their condolences weeks after their death. You appreciate the sentiment, but it only brings back the pain. Edited by rajncajn

• 11 months later...

:usa:

Jesus,

beloved Savior,

in remembering

these terrible events,

we recognize our great need

for Your guidance and protection.

We have painfully learned

that our country is vulnerable

and that violence can disrupt

both individuals and nations.

We pray then for healing

for all the people whose lives

were shattered in the attacks.

We pray for those

who defend our freedom.

We pray for wisdom

for our national leaders.

We pray for peace,

for our country and our world.

Jesus, beloved Savior,

as we remember,

hold us in Your loving hands.

Amen

I had sadness those first few weeks. I had people close to the incident in NY and Washington Pentagon, but all came out safe, and I am so thankful for that. I did lose it emotionally watching tv that week, that I couldnt stay in front of it. I am sure millions felt the same.

The first part, the sadness the anger, I wish I never have to feel that way. I wish no one ever has to go down that emotional path due to such devastation and tragedy again.

Then I became overwhelmed as people, for a period after, cared about each other and about the country and being great. The crisis gave us a clear goal. There was an unspoken peace. Other countries wanted to help us. The piece of it where this country came together as citizens and, for the most part, bonded through the tragedy, I miss this piece of it. I wish we could bond again, firefighters, janitors, politicians, all people from all walks of life, making sure everyone was ok. As a country, we helped each other to collectively get our chives together and rise above it all, make our country great and be a good neighbor to other countries.

Edited by Joessfl