[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Opening Day--Sept 11

Chief Dick

Im surprised I never posted in this thread. I work 20 blocks from where the attack took place.My wife called me and said a plane hit the towers but at that point it was thought to be an accident . I thought it was like a personal plane just clipped it or something. She called me back soon after and said now they are saying its terrorism. Then the 2nd plane hit. I wasnt in harms way but being in NYC that day was awful. Swarms of people just wandering the streets. Cell communication cut off. all bridges and tunnels closed so no idea if you can get home if you live out of the city like I did. Mainly you thought about how many people were lost and if you knew any of them as well. My friend had his car in the city but with all outlets closed the only way to get out was the ferry. My friend, brother and I were on a gigantic line to the ferry when they finally opened up the George Washington. We went to his car and got out. My oldest was just a baby. I came home and just hugged her and my wife. It was a numbing experience. That night I find out my friend that I played Pop warner football with in my hometown (his dad and uncle were also my coaches) passed away. He was a hero in every sense of the word. He was a port authority police office that went in to the towers numerous times to save people. The last time he went in he never came out.

Every year we have an event for him on his birthday in June and again on sept 11th. He had a wife and small daughter . His wife was swindled out of her 9/11 money . We raise a lot of money for them every year and we also enjoy honoring him every year. His name was Chris Amoroso. We called him chopper. The sweetest kid you would ever want to know. I used to see him at the bus terminal at least once a week. See some pics and clips below to learn more about him. This kid was as good as gold

https://apjl.com.au/uploads/images/Amoroso.jpg

http://www.voicesofseptember11.org/dev/living_memorial/amoroso_christopher/Amoroso_Chris_Police03_Angel.jpg

http://www.silive.com/september-11/index.ssf/2010/09/christopher_amoroso_29_port_au.html

Thanks for posting Whomp another brave American gone too soon. A hero indeed :usa:

• 11 months later...

I worked 2 blocks away from the WTC. I was in my office, on the phone with my fiancé (would become my wife 17 days later) when the first plane hit. We had no idea what happened until somebody yelled "holy sh!t there is a hole in the trade center." We were told not to evacuate, that we were safer in the building.

I was looking south bound at the WTC when the 2nd plane hit.........I never saw it coming. I just saw a fireball shoot out over the Post Office. I ran to my desk, grabbed my bag, told everyone on my team to get out of the office and we began our 14 story trek down the stairs.

By the time I got out, it was mayhem in the streets. A plane engine landed in the middle of Church St. We saw people injured, people confused, people angry and people in awe. I stood there for a few minutes in utter shock of what I was witnessing. I'll spare you all the details of what else I saw happening. After a few minutes I said to my good friend, we shouldn't be standing here, lets move away from here. We walked north, to her grandfathers apartment. When we were just a few blocks away, people started running and the ground started shaking. The south tower was collapsing. Not too much longer, the north tower collapsed.

We arrived at my friends grandfathers around noon. It was the quietest day I have ever spent in Manhattan. School days were cancelled, work days were cancelled, and everyone was somber. We waited for word that we could walk south, to get to the Staten Island Ferry. They finally re-opened it around 5pm. We started our journey back downtown. Just as we arrived at the ferry, 7 WTC collapsed kicking up the dust again. We ran onto the ferry and it departed for Staten Island. The once majestic view of the Manhattan skyline was covered in a cloud of dust. By the time we reached SI, and were on the train, it was noticeable that my 2 favorite buildings were no longer standing.

First I went to my fiancé's (I had no cell phone service, so I had not spoken to her since the first place hit), then I went to see my parents (my dad also worked downtown, but he made it out of Manhattan before they closed the SI ferry.)

I could recount every minute of that day from 7:30am on. I know too many people who didn't make it out of the towers that day.

• Like 5

Damn Montana. Thanks for sharing.

Agree, I was talking with a customer at an event in June and didn't realize her office in NJ was right across from NYC and she saw the whole thing unfold, while her husband was at work in Manhattan, and it took a long time to find out if he was ok.

A dark time for our nation, I will never forget how I felt in those days following. But hearing from those were there and more directly affected always makes it more real.

I remember walking into work and nobody would answer me as they were all staring at the small TV that was set up on the front counter that I never remember seeing before that day. I said "what movie is this"? Someone said, "this is real". I immediately remember staring silently like everyone else stunned and hearing "oh my God" over and over again.

The thing the has never left me and snaps me back to the reality of that day is those that chose to jump from 80+ stories rather then be burned alive. I recall crying my eyes out as I couldn't imagine the feeling of that person and the choice he/she was forced to make. I was so angry for days after that.

The next memory is when George Bush was standing on top of the pile of rubble and saying "I hear you, and the people who brought down these buildings will hear all of us soon"? I remember saying "fk ya" lets go get em as everyone cheered and I was pumped up ready to reenlist in the Air Force.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...