[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Value Plays: Quarterback

Otis

I think Kitna might be one of the best values to be had. In his time with Cinci, he threw for 26 TDs in a season. I don't remember the OC at the time but that still is a decent number for a guy that so far this season, is looking to be your backup. This year he's got Mike Martz. Say what you will about Martz but he does like to air it out. With Charles Rogers, Mike Williams and of course, Roy Williams - Kitna's got a lot at his disposal. Yeah, he's got to learn a new offense but still, we know the kid can play. His INTs are an issue but still, we're talking about value plays here.

As I said above, I agree completely on this.

And not only does Martz like to air it out, but he has a proven track record of taking marginal talents and QB and making them superstars. The more I think about it, the more I think Kitna may be as good or better value than Delhomme.

Bingo.

Though, as far as a QB who will could easily fall farther than he should, I'm surprised no one has mentioned McNair yet. Boller was good for a number of multiple TD games last year, and McNair is a better QB than Boller. Raven's DEF isn't as dominant as it once was. Heap is healthy. Early reports have Manson and McNair clicking. Mark Clayton looks like the real deal. And Jamal Lewis no longer appears willing and/or able to carry the team on his back solo.

Names like Warner, Delhomme, and to an extent Bledsoe are very in vogue right now as "value" plays, and for good reason. But McNair deserves to considered in that batch of borderline #1/elite #2 QBs. I just think that if a draft were to happen right now, he'd fall farther than Warner, Delhomme, or Bledsoe.

I would never be happy with McNair as my QB1 at this point. Not only is he often injured, he has a young (and I think talented) QB in Boller behind him (if McNair even really ends up the starter), and it is still BAL. I know they brought in Mason, but I'm leery of that pass offense until I see good reason not to be.

As a QB2? Sure, I can see rolling the dice. No way I am comfortable with McNair as a QB1 though.