[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Individual return points

ridinthewake

In one league we get individual return yardage so it is alway nice to find some who either returns kickoffs or punts in addition to being a regular in their teams lineup. Welker and DJackson are good examples in previous years.

Returners always seem to change from year to year, does anyone have a good resource for who each teams is planning on using for returns?

The Huddle had an article with a good list recently, and by looking at an all-purpose yards list, you'll see the guys who are dynamic returners. If they're also involved in the offense, those guys (like DJax, Harvin) can obviously be ultra valuable.

But the tough thing about returners, especially ones who are really talented in other areas, is they tend to get promoted/replaced, as their offensive role increases, they get banged up, or a young gun comes up and takes the return role.

This is why I always try to go for guys who are ultra-talented anyway in return leagues. Past guys like MJD and DJax retain a good bit of their value even when/if promoted from returns, since they should get touches regardless, whereas a guy like Cribbs might lose a good bit of their value by being taken off returns.

So in sum, unless a guy is an absolutely electric returner and/or stands to have a big offensive role regardless, I wouldn't put too much weight on return ability... But since you asked about specific guys this year, I really like McCluster to be that jack-of-all-trades this year.

I go through the depth charts on Yahoo to find those guys.

In some custom leagues you'll find the return yardage scoring so generous it has quite an effect on player value.

These guys have KR and/or PR duties, either full or part time:

WR: DeSean, Harvin, Cribbs, Mike Thomas, Knox, Devin Thomas, Jacoby Jones, Royal, Maclin, Britt, Wallace, Hester, Cotchery, Bess, Burleson, Edelman, Lance Moore, A. Gonzalez.

RB: Charles, Pierre Thomes, Forsett, Sproles, Reggie Bush, Fred Jackson, Slaton, Scott.

I go through the depth charts on Yahoo to find those guys.

In some custom leagues you'll find the return yardage scoring so generous it has quite an effect on player value.

These guys have KR and/or PR duties, either full or part time:

WR: DeSean, Harvin, Cribbs, Mike Thomas, Knox, Devin Thomas, Jacoby Jones, Royal, Maclin, Britt, Wallace, Hester, Cotchery, Bess, Burleson, Edelman, Lance Moore, A. Gonzalez.

RB: Charles, Pierre Thomes, Forsett, Sproles, Reggie Bush, Fred Jackson, Slaton, Scott.

Good list, but you also highlighted exactly what I was talking about, players likely getting promoted/replaced on returns

Charles, Forsett: Both stand to see their offensive roles greatly increase, and at the same time Golden Tate and McCluster are expected to be eased into the offense, and both are likely to see more time as electic return guys.

Knox: also stands to see his offensive role increase, and the team has Daniel Manning, Hester, Bennett and I think Iglesias, who are all capable of handling return duties.

Harvin: considering his hospitalization was triggered by looking up to the sky for a return, I would think that the Vikings might be cautious in not contributing to this issue that's kept him off the field.

And those are just a few examples of how return duties can change all the time for any of those guys. Again, I would only feel comfortable drafting a return guy if I know that the team plans to give him touches regardless.

McCluster and Cribbs fit the mold this year, especially if Massaquoi has a hampering hammy all year. But drafting a return guy is only useful in deeper leagues that award return points, maybe IDP leagues where a cornerback is a starter and a return guy, IMO.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby