[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dieon Branch or Santana Moss?

kenwg

Deion (NE) is at San Diego, while Santana (Wash) is at Chicago. Santana is a reliable pick, always puts up good numbers - but Deion has a pretty stellar history with Brady at NE. I guess the question is are Brady and Deion going to continue to click as if Deion never went away? Complicating things is the fact that SD allows the fewest passing yards in the NFL per game, while the Chicago D's passing yds are mediocre; on the other hand Chicago allows the fewest TD's in the league (but SD is not far behind).

My brain is saying go with Moss, but my intuition is saying Branch. Which way to go?

By the way, I will also be starting Danny Woodhead as a WR - I really expect him to bust up the SD defense - so if I start Deion that's 2 WR's (well, Woodhead is actually an RB/WR) from NE at SD.

Edited by kenwg

I like Branch. Usually I'm big on playing match ups but I think the Pats have kinda reverted back to the more west coast style offense that Branch was amazing at in his first stint with NE. Branch may be in for a good season from this point on.

I almost answered this one earlier lol...

I like Deion Branch this week over Santana Moss. Here's why:

1) Tom Brady:

Everyone has already said it has looked like Branch never left New England...the chemistry LOOKED that good. It not only looked good, it felt good too. Ask Tom Brady:

"He did great. You guys [the media] asked me earlier this week if there was chemistry there. I've been throwing balls to him for a long time; he made some big-time plays, [a] touchdown catch, so we kept battling and I think that's why we pulled it out."

"We've known each other for a long time, so I think that chemistry is there and it will be there for a long time. He made some big catches -- all those play-action passes -- he made some good plays on those, so it's great to have him out there."

What does that mean? Well, obviously, Brady was impressed by Branch. Impressed means he exceeded Brady's expectations. How did that happen? Everyone was asking the big question before last weekend: "Does Branch still have it? Has he gotten old? Will he be the Brady/Branch combo we remember? Everyone was hedging their bets and not committing to positive outcome. Obviously, he came back and showed Tom Brady he's still the same dude.

This is important for a million reasons, some being QB pass timing based on his speed, throwing direction depending on how much lead you can give him and still throw a catchable ball, etc. As receivers age, slow down, hands don't work as well, QBs have to consider all that. But if he's the same guy as before he went to SEA, theres no adjustment and they can just get down to it. And they did. And will.

On top of all that, TOM BRADY is throwing the ball. Not Donovan McNabb.

2) San Diego Defense:

There is no denying that San Diego has some skill players on D. Through 6 weeks, they've allowed 6th least rushing yards against per game (91.5) and the LEAST passing yards against per game (163.7). That comes out to 3.7YPC (#6) and 6.1YPCa (#4). 255 yards per game total, makes them #1 in the league. But that was against KC (3-2), JAC (3-3), SEA (3-2), ARI (3-2), OAK (2-4),STL (3-3). Not the best teams in the league. Not bad (some), but not the best. Could that have contributed to their image of monster defense?

Up next is NE (4-1), TEN (4-2), HOU(4-2), IND (4-2)...Not to be pessimistic, but perhaps we should see how they do against .500+ teams. I know...SEA+ARI+KC are +.500, but come on. Arizona and Seattle? To make matters worse, they lost to most of these teams.

San Diego may be hurting on offense with Mathews possibly still healing, Gates questionable, Floyd out, Naanee out...the defense may be on the field for quite some time. By the end of the game, who knows. They could be tired. And Brady knows how to finish games.

The only thing that detracts from Branch is possibly Brandon Tate syncing better with the QB this week for long balls and a larger load for Green-Ellis. But Branch will get work.

An added bonus for this game is that Deion Branch already faced San Diego's Secondary in Week 3 where he caught 5 passes for 60 yards. And that was with Matt Hasselbeck.

That's my case for Branch....but I could be wrong :wacko:

Edited by atrpunk