[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Windows directory capture question.

skylive5

I have pretty much exhausted the available sources for getting what I want in terms of saving to text a directory.

Here is what I want to do.....:

I want to open Windows Explorer

Go to my Music Directory

Display all the files in said directory

Save that screen (and everything displayed on that screen) to a text file.

I can go into DOS and get most of what I want...but there are col's that I also want that are not displayed when in DOS....so I only get half what I want.

Screen capture programs don't save as I need. Print Screen doesn't do it either. Media Player, nor Real Player, will allow you to print the library either.

So....anyone have a solution? Please?

Try something old school...

From a DOS prompt type:

Tree > dir.txt

Then open that file in notepad.

Edit to say mine had some funky characters in it, but the data was all there.

Edited by Kid Cid

Try something old school...

From a DOS prompt type:

Tree > dir.txt

Then open that file in notepad.

As mentioned above....already did that... but I do not get all the col's I want that are displayed in the Explorer window.

And dir > print.txt works much betterer. :D

Thanks for the thought Kid.

As mentioned above....already did that... but I do not get all the col's I want that are displayed in the Explorer window.

And dir > print.txt works much betterer. :D

Thanks for the thought Kid.

Exactly what type of info are you looking for? More than just the file names obviously.

Here is what you want if you only want files listed:

dir /b /a:-d >list.txt

Then look at list.txt with notepad

*sigh* Maybe I didn't express myself well enough. I know how to take care of things in DOS. However.....doing that does NOT get me what I want. Which is the extra col's that Windows Explorer shows. DOS only displays: (example)

06/09/2007 06:29 AM 4,339,712 (All of a Sudden) My Heart Sings.mp3

However.... in Windows Explorer the Artist and Album name is also displayed. That is what I want to be able to save to a file. Everything.

(All of a Sudden) My Heart Sings 4,238 KB MP3 audio file (MP3) Paul Anka All Time Greatest Hits

Edited by skylive5

Exactly what type of info are you looking for? More than just the file names obviously.

and by "col's" do you mean columns or colors? or poehaps Colonal Sanders, Colostomy, Colon, or Colonol Powel?

Edited by Super Twinky

Sky,

Try this site:

http://www.homestead.com/algor/FolderPrint

I just tried it and it printed all the col's in one of my photo folders. It also has a comma delimiter (file) option.

Edit for:

Here's a better one:

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

Edited by rocknrobn26

Sky,

Try this site:

http://www.homestead.com/algor/FolderPrint

I just tried it and it printed all the col's in one of my photo folders. It also has a comma delimiter (file) option.

Edit for:

Here's a better one:

Close....but unfortunate in that they do not capture all the col's. *sigh* Have a feeling I am not going to get what I want. Ah well, I am a typist after all.... down to the hard way I guess.

Close....but unfortunate in that they do not capture all the col's. *sigh* Have a feeling I am not going to get what I want. Ah well, I am a typist after all.... down to the hard way I guess.

Are you looking to print the ID3 info on the file using DOS? If so, I don't know if that's possible with DOS. That info is stored at the begging of the MP3 file. It's basically just 'frames' that contain metadata. Open an MP3 file in a text editor, and you should see parts of the info at the top. So, unless you can figure out a way to stream/read the file using DOS, I don't think it's possible.

However, you could do this with a Java program.

Some info on ID3.

Are you looking to print the ID3 info on the file using DOS? If so, I don't know if that's possible with DOS. That info is stored at the begging of the MP3 file. It's basically just 'frames' that contain metadata. Open an MP3 file in a text editor, and you should see parts of the info at the top. So, unless you can figure out a way to stream/read the file using DOS, I don't think it's possible.

However, you could do this with a Java program.

Some info on ID3.

So that info being displayed in WMP and in Windows Explorer are actually inside the file? Well crud..that sucks.

Okay.... thanks.... I will check out the java programs.

So that info being displayed in WMP and in Windows Explorer are actually inside the file? Well crud..that sucks.

Okay.... thanks.... I will check out the java programs.

Sorry, what I meant to say is you could write a program in Java to do this for you, (with a file InputStream). I don't know if a Java program exists for this purpose or not. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Java language - If not, I could try to put something together for you in my spare time.

There does appear to be a ton of ID3 editor's out there - they might be helpful. Maybe try some of these: ID3 Tag Editor

Couldn't find anything that does this free, but here's one that is supposed to do what you want:

http://www.zzee.com/art-directory-print/

Hmmmmm.... from the looks of things this may be just what the Dr. ordered. Try before you buy would have been nice.... 30 bucks on a flyer kinda sucks... but it does look like it will do what I want.

Thanks.

The first one you gave is just what I want. This one appears to be less.

Appreciate the help.... think I have finally got what I want. :D

Check the Pro version of:

It supposedly does MP3 files w/ artist, genre, etc. and you can d/l a free trial. Quote from the d/l page:

PrintFolder Pro includes special support for MP3-files, imagefiles and other popular file formats. You can use our popular AutoComments-function to extract descriptions from several file formats. Use this choice for folders containing different kinds of files.

Check the Pro version of:

It supposedly does MP3 files w/ artist, genre, etc. and you can d/l a free trial. Quote from the d/l page:

LOL cuts off half the names of the songs. However, in conjunction with my DOS file and the file that was made with the program above I was able to get what I wanted in excel.

If the people get back to me from the program smithkt gave me with a positive answer I will probably buy it. Looks like it will give me the whole name and thus I won't have to edit.

Thanks rr and smithkt.... got what I needed.

Gotta love the Huddle! :D

LOL cuts off half the names of the songs. However, in conjunction with my DOS file and the file that was made with the program above I was able to get what I wanted in excel.

If the people get back to me from the program smithkt gave me with a positive answer I will probably buy it. Looks like it will give me the whole name and thus I won't have to edit.

Thanks rr and smithkt.... got what I needed.

Gotta love the Huddle! :D

Glad we all helped. :D