[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alex McMurray

Big F'n Dave

Saw Alex play with Paul Sanchez (formerly of Cowboy Mouth) in the French Quarter Saturday night. One of the best live shows I've seen in years. Had never seen Alex before, but his lead acoustic guitar was outstanding. I mean ripping sh*t up!

Picked up a copy of his latest album, How to be a Cannonball. New Orleans' Gambit Magazine named it 2009's Album of the Year. Listen to it and you'll understand why. I had no idea before I looked at his website that Alex was the frontman for Royal Finger Bowl. He was also with 007 and TinMen. Cat's been around.

Give him a listen. I'm curious to what some of you will think.

I think he owes Tom Waits royalties.

Because they have similar voices? There would be a lot of broke-ass musicians if they all had to pay royalties to other artists with like styles. :wacko:

Because they have similar voices? There would be a lot of broke-ass musicians if they all had to pay royalties to other artists with like styles. :wacko:

Not just the voice, it's the writing style too. Some of the songs sound like they came from the cutting room floor from the Rain Dogs and Bone Machine sessions. Listen to "Ballad of Capn Sandy" and then Waits' "Singapore". Then try "Barber of Shabuya" and Waits' "Gun Street Girl". Then try "Last Train" and Waits' "That Feel".