[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I dropped Benn for Rice (good move?)

redettez06

I picked up Arrelious Benn as a last pick because there was a field of turds left in the last round and I figured he may be a deep sleeper. That being said, I knew I probably wasn't gonna use him (if at all) unless he really came out. I noticed today that nobody had drafted Rice and I got itchy and picked him up (for Benn).

Is that a solid choice? I feel like Rice could come back with a force and it's not too much of a gamble (dropping Benn) for the payoff if he comes back strong. Worst comes to worst I can always drop Rice if I need the slot (which I won't in the 1st 6 weeks bye-wise).

I am in a 12 team league (if that makes much difference). Also, here's my line-up:

QB: Peyton Manning, Ben Rothlisburger

RB: Chris Johnson, Joseph Addai, Knowshon Moreno, Reggie Bush, Darren McFadden

WR: Roddie White, Donald Driver, Robert Meachem, Bernard Berrian, Vincent Jackson, Sidney Rice

TE: Kellen Winslow

D/ST: Bengals

K: Rob Bironas

If you start 2 WR sure, that's fine where you are now. High upside/low risk move. When you need to fill for WR byes you can find someone available for the week that should match Benn. At some point this season you might have a quality WR on your hands. I would have never drafted VJax though. Your WR depth is weak but I would just look out for a WR on waivers producing during the season.

If you start 3 WR you have no depth. I would have to think there were better WRs available on waivers now. Gaffney, Jenkins, Bess, Avant, K Walter, Branch, either M. Williams? I'd rate any of those plus many others above Benn. Would probably drop Rice for one of them.

If you start 2 WR sure, that's fine where you are now. High upside/low risk move. When you need to fill for WR byes you can find someone available for the week that should match Benn. At some point this season you might have a quality WR on your hands. I would have never drafted VJax though. Your WR depth is weak but I would just look out for a WR on waivers producing during the season.

If you start 3 WR you have no depth. I would have to think there were better WRs available on waivers now. Gaffney, Jenkins, Bess, Avant, K Walter, Branch, either M. Williams? I'd rate any of those plus many others above Benn. Would probably drop Rice for one of them.

Well, I play on ESPN and hae either 3 WR and 2 RB or 2 WR and 3 backs. I guess I can see how the 1st week or so turns out and shift my ideology as I need to. Thanks for the advice :wacko:

Well, I play on ESPN and hae either 3 WR and 2 RB or 2 WR and 3 backs. I guess I can see how the 1st week or so turns out and shift my ideology as I need to. Thanks for the advice :wacko:

Most scoring formats your going to want to use a RB in that flex spot and Addai and Moreno should be decent for your RB2/3. You should be good holding Rice for now. I think you can cover all your byes until week 10 and by then you'll have decided what to do with Jackson and/or Rice.

Edited by Mello

Definitely a good pickup, I have picked up VJax and Rice with any open roster spots. Despite their situation I would take a risk on them over a deep sleeper. Rice is Favre's favorite receiver and knowing Favre he will probably get him the ball when he returns. Rice's return isn't a question it's just a matter of time. VJax's situation is much more problematic so just keep an eye. I think he's going to holdout the entire year but I hope not.

I drafted him in the 10th or 11th round because i was going through bench players by that point and its a lock during the playoffs. Having him on top of your other starters turns your team into WR1 WR2 WR1!!! I dont expect top numbers from him like last year because he might have a mental thing to get over when he comes back but for WK14-WK16 Im going to be along for the ride at that point. Good move.