[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Windows leaking....Uh Oh

joeyb7

I recently purchased a condo in South Boston that's about three years old....I love it, but I'm having a problem that I have no idea how to fix or what could be causing it. :wacko:

The condo is loft style with large double pane Marvin windows that are great, but above the window (wood frame) and another (wood frame below the window) water is dripping in (slowly, but it's concerning) from the wood and running down the wall. The water is rust colored making me think it's bypassing some metal flashing or some other metal giving it that color. I looked outside my condo and can't see anything that would indicate improper installation, but then again I'm in finance, not construction.....AKA I have no idea.

How will a contractor diagnose this? Will he/she have to tear off the interior wood around the windows and get underneath to see where it's getting in? Or will they start from the outside and remove some of the siding above/around the window to assess the situation?

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them - especially if there are any contractors out there!

Edited by joeyb7

I could be wrong, but when there is a structural/building problem in a condo, isn't that usually covered by the association? I'd go to them first.

You're correct. We have six owners and everyone is in agreement with moving forward, but my unit is the one that's going to potentially have to be torn open to see what's going on.

I just didn't know if the procedure is to remove any framing around the window, remove the window and peek around to see where water is coming in. It only seems to be coming in when it's both raining AND reasonably windy. I'm calling a GC this week to see if he can diagnose the problem - I'm just not sure what to expect.

They're gonna remove the exterior siding up to the point where they see the leak. They'll start just above the window to see if it is merely a flashing issue, If it is not, they'll keep going up. If they see any water damage, they'll prolly come inside at that point and strip that part of the dry wall out and see what ype of mold/rot issues they are dealing with. It ain't gonna be fun for about a week or so.