[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help with phone jacks and Comcast phone

montster

We have Comcast phone service. We have a cordless phone plugged into one of our phone jacks instead of using the jack on the back of the modem. This has worked fine for years, including up until last night. Today, the phone display said, "Line in use," even though none were, and then, a bit later, "Check telephone line." Now none of the jacks work (I tested them with a regular corded phone). I called Comcast, and the jack on the back of the modem works fine, so of course Comcast won't fix the problem without us paying to have someone look at the wall jacks.

Anyone ever have this happen? Any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem myself? I could always move the phone to where the modem is, but I like where it's located now, and we sometimes use one of the other jacks for our printer/fax.

We have Comcast phone service. We have a cordless phone plugged into one of our phone jacks instead of using the jack on the back of the modem. This has worked fine for years, including up until last night. Today, the phone display said, "Line in use," even though none were, and then, a bit later, "Check telephone line." Now none of the jacks work (I tested them with a regular corded phone). I called Comcast, and the jack on the back of the modem works fine, so of course Comcast won't fix the problem without us paying to have someone look at the wall jacks.

Anyone ever have this happen? Any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem myself? I could always move the phone to where the modem is, but I like where it's located now, and we sometimes use one of the other jacks for our printer/fax.

I take it they didn't offer the "in-house wiring plan" for an extra $1-$2/month.

I had a similar problem (can't remember the details) about 6 months after I got the service. The operator told me the same thing, but before I had a chance to threaten her 1st born w/ bodily harm she mentioned the "in-house wiring plan". I opted for that, a tech came out the next day and said the original installer never disconnected the phone line coming in from the post to the house and it was causing a feed back. He clipped the wire outside the house and it has worked well ever since.

Good Luck.