[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tony Richardson out for the season?

Randall

Last update: November 15, 2006 – 11:13 PM

Richardson is likely out for season

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

The Vikings were considering their options at fullback Wednesday after learning that starter Tony Richardson almost certainly will miss the remainder of the season because of a broken right arm.

Third-year veteran Jeff Dugan took most of the repetitions during practice, but Dugan is a converted tight end who never has played fullback in an NFL game. The Vikings also were listing tight end Richard Owens as a fullback and were scanning the available free agents.

Richardson probably will be placed on injured reserve later this week, coach Brad Childress said, after doctors determined he would need at least six weeks to recover from the fracture. Richardson, who already was playing with a broken right thumb, suffered the latest injury in the first half of Sunday's 23-17 loss to Green Bay.

Mulling ... nothing?

Childress said he is "still mulling" a possible personnel shift along the offensive line. But as of Wednesday, it appeared no changes had been made. Right guard Artis Hicks, for one, said none was likely.

"From what I understand," Hicks said, "I expect the same five. I don't expect anything different."

The most obvious possibility would be replacing right tackle Marcus Johnson with Mike Rosenthal; another is replacing Hicks with either Jason Whittle or Anthony Herrera. But there was no immediate indication that any of those changes have been made.

Practice is closed to local reporters, but Rosenthal was in his normal spot on kickoff returns during special teams workouts.

"My strong preference is that obviously those five get better, and they will continue to get better," Childress said. "But I want to see where those other guys are at in terms of practice and could they factor in as well."

Injury report

Receiver Marcus Robinson (lower back) and linebacker Napoleon Harris (dislocated left wrist) both practiced Wednesday for the first time since sustaining their injuries. Harris practiced with a cast up to his elbow, and he was noncommittal Wednesday about his prospects to play Sunday at Miami: "I'm going to continue to work at it and see where we are at the end of the week," he said.

Robinson, meanwhile, has missed the past three games and said he did "a little bit of stuff" during practice. Asked if he thought he would play, Robinson said, "It's all on coach Childress."

Other than Robinson, Harris and Richardson, the other nine players on the Vikings' injury report are all expected to be physically ready for Sunday's game.

Etc.

• The Vikings signed cornerback Patrick Body to their practice squad. Body played in six games last season for Cincinnati. They also worked out two defensive linemen: Eric Taylor and Howard Green. Taylor spent time with the Vikings last season and was a training camp cut Sept. 2.

• Cornerback Fred Smoot, who rejoined the team Monday after attending the funeral of his half-brother, is "hurting," Childress said. "He's anxious to get back out here and do something physical exertion-wise," Childress added. "There's something about getting back out here and getting your mind off of things and getting away from what's occurred."

• Two surgeries should occur this week, Childress said. Defensive end Erasmus James, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee nearly two months ago, was scheduled to have the injury repaired Wednesday. Linebacker Jason Glenn will have the torn ACL in his left knee repaired today by Dr. James Andrews.

• Miami defensive tackle Keith Traylor won't play Sunday because of an injured right knee. Traylor has a career-high four sacks this season.

Richardson is obviously a great FB and will definitely be a bid loss, but I know there have been times this season that he has not been out on the field, and it did not seem to affect the running game. So, I'm not sure that this will really be the kind of hit to Chester Taylor that some might think it will be.

Richardson is obviously a great FB and will definitely be a bid loss, but I know there have been times this season that he has not been out on the field, and it did not seem to affect the running game. So, I'm not sure that this will really be the kind of hit to Chester Taylor that some might think it will be.

Who fills in, that real Viking looking dude Jim Kleinsasser? :D

This would concern me much more if the Vikings running game were doing well. I can't really see them getting fewer yards per carry or fewer touchdowns. Since the Vikings have a bunch of "decent" receivers, but no studs, and a "smart" quarterback, they might be better off with 4 receivers and leaving Chester in the backfield alone. I think this would help prevent defenses from stacking the line or at least would make Brad Johnson more effective.

Wow, I'm guessing you don't watch Vikings games. As a homer, I have a hard time saying the Vikes have any talent on their squad other than Chester. Saying the receiving core is "decent" is a substantial compliment to these guys. Also, this "smart" QB (who does deserve the statement) is not having even an average season IMO.

Losing Tony Richardson was like losing our second best hands on the squad. At least he could catch balls.

Anyway, it's not hard to defend against a team that can't catch a ball.

Regarding who will fill in. Kleinsasser was known to fill/be that role prior to the new milk dud. I don't think it's been very clear as to who will now fill that role. The current grumblings are about whether or not there's going to be a change on the right side of the offensive line. Rosenthahl might get a chance to get his job back, and they're thinking of tinkering with the guard as well. Given the milk dud's propensity for not changing, I'll assume nothing will happen. Certainly, putting 4 WR sets out will not happen with this guy at the helm.

(Note, I'm not an anti-Childress guy. I actually think he's probably a solid coach. I just think we're enduring some rookie coaching issues.)

Wow, I'm guessing you don't watch Vikings games. As a homer, I have a hard time saying the Vikes have any talent on their squad other than Chester. Saying the receiving core is "decent" is a substantial compliment to these guys. Also, this "smart" QB (who does deserve the statement) is not having even an average season IMO.

Losing Tony Richardson was like losing our second best hands on the squad. At least he could catch balls.

Anyway, it's not hard to defend against a team that can't catch a ball.

Regarding who will fill in. Kleinsasser was known to fill/be that role prior to the new milk dud. I don't think it's been very clear as to who will now fill that role. The current grumblings are about whether or not there's going to be a change on the right side of the offensive line. Rosenthahl might get a chance to get his job back, and they're thinking of tinkering with the guard as well. Given the milk dud's propensity for not changing, I'll assume nothing will happen. Certainly, putting 4 WR sets out will not happen with this guy at the helm.

(Note, I'm not an anti-Childress guy. I actually think he's probably a solid coach. I just think we're enduring some rookie coaching issues.)

he's helped the run defense and running game...the team has a more sound approach and when you finally get a QB back there and another WR...you'll be alright..