[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raider, Dolphins, Bronco, Ravens, Cardinal, Saints fans

detlef

I'm working on a study and am just missing evaluations on 10 teams 1st round draft picks since 2004. In the "Looking For Homers" thread, I got the other 22 covered but went ahead and got the ball rolling on those teams not claimed. The scores listed are merely based on starts and stats and I'm looking for true fans of the teams to edit them as needed. Grade them on a the following scale:

10 Absolute stud. Best 1-2 players in the league at their position

9 Always in the conversation as top 5 or so at position

8 Locked down position has made a pro bowl or two at least

7 Reliable starter but not necc thought of as one of the pillars of the team

6 Most of career as a starter but it's not like the team would ignore the position in coming drafts

5 Very much average. Special team and part time starter

4 Below average. Like 5 only not as good

3 Hanging on to a roster spot. Or a rook or 2nd year player who simply hasn't done jack

2 Had a few OK years but is quite likely out of the game

1 Essentially a bust

0 Colossal bust

Things to consider. The younger the player, the more benefit of the doubt. A guy like Sam Bradford certainly gets an extra point considering what he's doing as a rookie on a team that sucked last year.

Injuries. If a guy has yet to even see the field yet, just don't grade him. If he was good before he got badly hurt, then grade him what you would have and maybe a .5 pt down. If he never really did jack and then ended his career with an injury, again, rate him basically a bust.

So, the teams:

Ravens...

2004 No pick

2005 Mark Clayton 4?

2006 Haloti Ngata 8?

2007 Ben Grubbs 7?

2008 Joe Flacco 8?

2009 Michal Oher 8?

2010 No pick

Saints

2004 Will Smith 8?

2005 Jammal Brown ?

2006 Reggie Bush 7? (don't want to penalize him for the expectations)

2007 Robert Meachem 6.5?

2008 Sedrick Ellis ?

2009 Malcolm Jenkins 4

2010 Patrick Robinson ?

Chargers

2004 Phillip Rivers 9

2005 Sean Merriman 7? Dominant when he was on roids but...

2006 Antonio Cromartie 7 If he was truly great, he'd still be a Charger?

2007 Craig Davis 3?

2008 Antoine Cason 5?

2009 Larry English 3?

2010 Ryan Mathews 4?

AZ

2004 Larry Fitz 10 stud

2005 Antrel Rolle 8 after a nice set of years with AZ, NYG made him one of the highest paid safeties

2006 Matt Leinart 1 dud

2007 Levi Brown 7.5 appears solid enough

2008 Dom Rogers-Cromartie

2009 Beenie Wells 5 not exactly lighting it up

2010 Dan Williams

Raiders

2004 Robert Gallery I could swear people have called him a bit of a bust but he's started all but 1 game in his career. 7?

2005 Fabian Washington 5 has seemed like an on again-off again starter now on his 2nd team

2006 Michael Huff 6.5 Seems like a solid but not super impressive starter

2007 JaMarcus Russel 0 bust

2008 Daren McFadden 5.5 finally producing (but not exactly tearing it up) after two very lack luster years

2009 Darius Heyward Bey 4 The good news is that he's started almost every game he's been healthy for. The bad news is he has 28 career receptions in 20 games

2010 Rolando McClain 6.5? Starting and making tackles but not lighting the world on fire.

Dolphins

2004 Vernon Carey 7? Based on starts alone, has only missed 2 since his rookie year

2005 Ronnie Brown 8? And likely would be higher if not for the injuries. Hell, maybe it should be because of the injuries and the comebacks.

2006 Jason Allen 2 Never really made the starting lineup and now doesn't even start for a Houston team that can't defend the pass

2007 Ted Ginn Jr 2 Was traded for a ham sandwich and now only returns kicks

2008 Jake Long 8.5? I know he's started every game in his career and is a team leader. Miami fans? Does he deserve better? Slightly worse?

2009 Vontae Davis 7? Seems fine enough

2010 Jered Odrick n/a broke foot in pre-season and is out for year.

Broncos

2004 DJ Williams 8.5

2005 no pick

2006 Jay Cutler 7.5 So hard to say, put up numbers, then the thing blew up, but they did get a lot in return

2007 Jarvis Moss 3 Never caught on and ultimately released

2008 Ryan Clady 8.5 Looks like a stud but it sounds like he's injured this year?

2009 Knowshon Moreno 7 Seems promising thus far

2009 Robert Ayers ?

2010 Demaryius Thomas ?

2010 Tebow ?

Edited by detlef

Jake Long should be a 9.5 at worst. He's one of the best at his position and a big reason why the potential loss of him for the final few weeks of the season would be detrimental to the team's slim playoff hopes. Vontae Davis, I think, is better than a 7. However, based on your criteria for an 8 (pro bowl), I guess the best he could be is a 7.5. He was solid last year for a rookie and has matured greatly this season. There's a reason QB's don't want to throw it his way. Ronnie is fine at an 8. He could have been better without all the injury issues but he's been pretty quiet this season without any injuries; maybe he's just showing his age. Jason Allen started the season great in the game in Minnesota but fell off the next week against the Jets with some key mistakes that put the Dolphins in bad spots. I agree with Carey's rating. Ginn should have been a 1; a 2 is being nice. Jared Odrick should be good but it's obviously too early to tell with the way his rookie year has gone.

Edited by injendsm

Jake Long should be a 9.5 at worst. He's one of the best at his position and a big reason why the potential loss of him for the final few weeks of the season would be detrimental to the team's slim playoff hopes. Vontae Davis, I think, is better than a 7. However, based on your criteria for an 8 (pro bowl), I guess the best he could be is a 7.5. He was solid last year for a rookie and has matured greatly this season. There's a reason QB's don't want to throw it his way. Ronnie is fine at an 8. He could have been better without all the injury issues but he's been pretty quiet this season without any injuries; maybe he's just showing his age. Jason Allen started the season great in the game in Minnesota but fell off the next week against the Jets with some key mistakes that put the Dolphins in bad spots. I agree with Carey's rating. Ginn should have been a 1; a 2 is being nice. Jared Odrick should be good but it's obviously too early to tell with the way his rookie year has gone.

Noted.

It's a good thing you didn't start one year earlier.

Saints 2003 = Jonathan Goodwin. Excelled at the buffet line.

My 2 cents.

2004 Will Smith 8 - 8.5 (been consistently solid every year but 08)

2005 Jammal Brown 7-7.5 (2 pro bowls but was expendable)

2006 Reggie Bush 7 - 7.5 (sometimes greatness. Other times not. You always have to account for him on defense though and he's made quite a few big plays on STs. Grade might be higher but we've seen the team can win with or without him)

2007 Robert Meachem 6.5 ( Has had his moments but it's not like he's irreplaceable )

2008 Sedrick Ellis 7-7.5 (tough to rate him as DTs don't normally generate enough stats to mak them stand out but he's one of my favorite players on D and the Dline is much better when he's in than when he's not. I think he will continue to get better and see some pro bowls. Hasn't played a full season yet which is a knock on his grade too)

2009 Malcolm Jenkins 5.5. (Hard to grade him as it's so young in his career. This year was really the first year he was a true starter with sharper being on pup. Seems to be developing as a safety though. Wouldn't want him as my starting cb though (which was pretty obvious when he was drafted))

2010 Patrick Robinson 5. Way too soon to grade. He's been picked on at times when he's had to fill in for injured starters but basically looks like what most rookies look like. Some good. Some bad. I think the extra snaps he's gotten this year will help his growth though)

Edited by myhousekey

Ravens...

2004 No pick

2005 Mark Clayton 4 (Underutilized player who just seemed to never gel with the Raven's offense. Played third fiddle to Mason and Heap and became obsolete with the Boldin acquisition. Played much better in St Louis until his season ending injury)

2006 Haloti Ngata 9 (Most important draft pick in the past decade in terms of keeping the defense top-tier. Probably prolonged Ray Lewis's career by holding the point of attack in check at the line)

2007 Ben Grubbs 7 (Solid guard who should be a foundation on the offensive line for years. The kind of lineman who could start and excel on any team but not cost the team the bank)

2008 Joe Flacco 8 (First true franchise QB the Ravens successfully drafted. Although Boller was regarded as a decent pick the year he got drafted, he held the franchise back until the Raven's acquired McNair. Flacco on the other hand has helped make the Ravens a more well-rounded team on offense with a dynamic passing attack)

2009 Michal Oher 8 (Another solid lineman with great potential. Was challenged often during his rookie year but showed promise. Should man the Left Tackle position over the next decade barring injury and/or contract dispute)

2010 No pick

Edited by Return Of S&B