[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where have I heard this before ...

Elias Grodin

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

ESPN.com news services

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops issued a statement Wednesday indicating that he has no interest in the Florida job.

"I have great respect for the people at Florida and a lot of good memories from my time there, but to end the speculation that is ongoing, I want to make it clear that I have no interest in the position that is currently available there," Stoops said. "It is a privilege to be the head coach at Oklahoma and I am fully concentrating on having the best season we can have, and in building the strongest program we can build."

Stoops has been facing speculation about his future at Oklahoma -- again -- since Florida announced Monday that Ron Zook was being fired.

Stoops, who was defensive coordinator at Florida for three years before coming to Oklahoma in 1999, turned down the Gators' job in 2002, and his name often surfaces when high-profile jobs open up.

"I'm not here to talk about other jobs, and I'm not going to," Stoops said Tuesday. "There's nothing to talk about. I'm the head coach at Oklahoma, and that's enough said. I've got a great job."

Florida fired Zook after he lost 13 games in two-plus seasons, including Saturday's 38-31 upset to Mississippi State, and some off-the-field embarrassments. Zook will finish the season.

The top candidate to replace him is former Gators coach Steve Spurrier, who avoided questions Monday while playing a charity golf tournament.

Stoops and Spurrier, his old mentor at Florida, talked recently enough that Stoops knew Spurrier shot a 73 Monday.

"That's not for me to talk about, coach Spurrier," Stoops said. "Whatever he wants, I'm all for. Though I talk to coach frequently, that wouldn't be appropriate for me to talk about what we're talking about and what his feelings are."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.