[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NCAA Championship game tonight

Gopher

I didn't really think that Roy was making a legitimate run at Wall. He's really not UNC's type of kid. IMO, I thought he was simply running interference on Duke a bit. To me, the real kicker for next year will be what Wayne Ellington decides to do. He wasn;t really being projected that highly in the draft earlier in the year (and I don;t think he would go being projected in the second round), but then he went and won MOP of the final 4, and I can only imagine that his draft stock has risen considerably. Based on what happened to the 2005 Tar Heels, nothing improves your draft stock like winning a national championship.

I suspect that Wayne will turn pro (and having already done it once, the rules do not allow him to "test the waters" again), but if he were to stay, I think the Heels could muster enough help at the PG position to be a top 10 team. With him gone, UNC will be weak out on the perimeter, and despite out solid frontcourt (Thompson, Davis, Zeller and 3 top 10 big men recruits) the heels will need at least a year before being becoming a legitimate title contender again.

That thought certainly crossed my mind as well.

As for their chances next year, I actually think they're looking at the top 10 even without Wayne and, in the unlikely chance he comes back, they could be serious title contenders. This is college ball, after all. You just don't find more than 4-5 teams that are great both inside and out. If you're dominant at one, that's usually good enough to get you into the top 10 and the Heels will be good enough inside for that. Maybe Ginyard transforms his game ala Green and adds a jumper to his rep. Regardless, he's going to at least be a veteran presence out there. Also Deon needs to be the guy he was when Hansbrough was hurt at the beginning of the season.

Obviously Drew needs to make a step but this wouldn't be the first time that a guy just needed more PT to show is stuff. Then again, maybe he's Q Thomas all over again.