[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New to idp. Help please

Bda

I have never played in a league with an idp and I don't really know what position holds the most value. I grabbed the Lb Deion jones for the falcons just based on his tackles last year. But I don't know if there's a position I should target. My league is pretty basic as far as scoring. 1pt for solo .5 for assist and basically 2 points for everything else aside from td's. I noticed safety's have scored pretty well so far this week. Also some de and lineman have scored well. What is your advice on position value?

Edited by Bda

LB is indeed the most valuable IDP position, and I'd put Safety's at #2. DL's rely on big plays for their totals, but they usually struggle to produce tackles - the meat and potatoes of IDP's. Relying on big plays for IDP production isn't the way to go. Look for the guys who tackle the most consistently, that's your LB's and Safety's, and just consider the big plays as gravy.

Agree.  I believe there was a old post in the IDP section on basics of IDP.

LB for sure, but you need to look at the type of defense; 4-3 and 3-4.  Look at the top tackles the last couple years for each type of defense and make your short list.

Same when choosing your DL (DT or DE)

DL (DT/DE) rely on sacks for their big points, tackles, fumble recovery.  Depends on your IDP scoring systems

DB (SS, FS, CB)  tackles, INT, FBR, passed defensed.  Most times the SS is the one to target, run support and blitz.  Top notch DBs are good for NFL, but not so much for Fantasy.  If you missed out of the top SS, you can target the top CB, the FS tacklers.  Look for those on defenses that are week on the pass, or rookie and little years experience, but starting, and/or if they play special teams.  Most IDPs allow points for special team player; yardage, TD; on top of what they get on defense.

Once top players are taken at each position on IDP, teams with poor offenses and/or match ups as the defense will be on the field a lot.  You can find a gem if your league allows for special teams play.