[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mr Irrelevant Trey Quinn

michaelredd9

I'm usually skeptical about anything coaches say in May or June.  But Jay Gruden has now praised Trey Quinn twice which gives it a bit more credence than a one time coachspeak compliment.  Quinn being a quick slot receiver meshes well with Alex Smith's short passing game.  It might be tough for him to crack the starting lineup this year but Jay Gruden is the type of coach who wouldn't be afraid of starting a rookie over an established veteran.  Quinn is a nice dynasty stash at a minimum.

Trey Quinn impresses Jay Gruden to close OTAs 
Jun 10 - 9:45 AM

Redskins coach Jay Gruden continued to praise WR Trey Quinn to end Washington's final OTA session.

"I’ve been very impressed with Trey," Gruden said. "He’s learning from Jamison [Crowder], which is good, but he can also line up in different spots, so Trey is a guy that we’re going to rely on to be able to play multiple spots." The final pick of this year’s draft, Quinn led the NCAA with 114 receptions in 2017. The initial excitement building for Quinn is a bit ahead of true rookie season expectations as he’ll still be playing behind Jamison Crowder, Josh Doctson and Paul Richardson to begin 2018, but Quinn has made more than a positive impression in his first team activity. He should be a lock for the 53-man roster in a competition with Brian Quick, Maurice Harris and Robert Davis for the remaining wide receiver spots. Crowder is in the final year of his rookie contract, making Quinn a stash in dynasty formats. Jun 10 - 9:45 AM

Coach Jay Gruden raved about seventh-round WR Trey Quinn, calling him a "silent assassin" and a very "quarterback-friendly target."
Quinn was "Mr. Irrelevant" as the last pick in April's draft, but he's far from irrelevant and is even expected to make the team at this point. An LSU transfer, Quinn posted a 114/1,236/13 line at SMU opposite Courtland Sutton. He's a vacuum who catches everything and has exceptional quickness at 5'11/203. Quinn should endear himself to the coaches much like Ryan Grant. Jun 6 - 1:46 PM

Redskins selected SMU WR Trey Quinn with the No. 256 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.
This makes Quinn 2018's Mr. Irrelevant. Quinn (5’11/203) was SMU’s unheralded bookend for Courtland Sutton, transferring from LSU to spend one year with the Mustangs and tally a 114/1,236/13 receiving line, earning first-team All-American Athletic Conference. PFF College credited Quinn with 4.36 yards per route run, highest among all draft-eligible receivers. On slot routes alone, Quinn caught 75% of his targets with seven TDs and had the lowest drop rate (1.7%) in this receiver class. Quinn isn’t exceptionally straight-line fast (4.55) but he is quick in a short area (6.91 three-cone time) and catches everything. Apr 28 - 6:54 PM

I was surprised that Quinn lasted until the end. He was overlooked at LSU and rarely played. One year at SMU and he was their #1 receiver (114-1236-13). That was better than Courtland Sutton (68-1085-12) on the same team. I agree - he is very intriguing and when he finally switched schools and had a chance, he was lights out. I got an eye on that one too.

It's too bad the Redskins have Crowder.  I could get a lot more excited about this kid in redraft if the Redskins didn't already have a good slot receiver.  Gruden can say they'll line Quinn up in multiple spots but that is probably just coachspeak.  Quinn is neither tall nor fast.  He isn't suited to play on the outside.  Crowder isn't suited to play outside receiver either.  Crowder isn't so good that the Redskins will feel the need to re-sign him next year but he is good enough that he isn't likely to get beat out by a rookie this year.