[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spain vs. France

alexgaddis

[side bar] since everyone at the huddle seems more obsessed by the refereeing than by the game itself, I will say that the refing in this game was perfect. I hate that a team gets a PK when they are in the box but obviously not a threat to score when they get fouled. I have always thought that there should be a different call for fouls commited in 'non scoring' moments (like a free kick anywhere on the perimeter of the penalty area) but that's just me: the ref has to go with FIFA dictates. This being said, the ref seemed to take the much looser aproach to refing that has always existed in the past, as opposed to the tightening that has happened in the last two WCS. FIFA made it clear last WC that all fouls should be called. So for Sepp Blatter to be all surprised that a ref follows the rules to the letter is really annoying. i maintain that the ref in the holland-portugal game called the game absolutely correctly by FIFA rules (missing only one or two calls that all refs would) [/end sidebar]

Agreed. This was the best reffing performance so far. Blatter is a fat pompous corrupt German pig who should be taken out and shot. The referees are put under so much pressure by his loudmouthed crap they are forced to ref differently to what they usually do. And then the gibbering fool has the temerity to criticize a ref who has followed Blatter's idiot instructions to the letter.

Bah. Shoot Blatter now! :D

Agreed. This was the best reffing performance so far. Blatter is a fat pompous corrupt German pig who should be taken out and shot. The referees are put under so much pressure by his loudmouthed crap they are forced to ref differently to what they usually do. And then the gibbering fool has the temerity to criticize a ref who has followed Blatter's idiot instructions to the letter.

Bah. Shoot Blatter now! :D

but wait! he had ONE good idea! :D

link

Women footballers blast Blatter

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has urged women footballers to wear skimpier kits to increase the popularity of the women's game.

But Blatter's comments have outraged leading European women players, who have said his remarks could further undermine their sport.

"Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball," said the Fifa chief.

"They could, for example, have tighter shorts."

Blatter added: "Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men - such as playing with a lighter ball.

"That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?"

Pauline Cope, the England and Charlton goalkeeper, said Blatter's comments were "typical of a bloke".

"He doesn't know what he is talking about," she said.

"We don't use a lighter ball for one thing, and to say we should play football in hotpants is plain ridiculous.

"It's completely irresponsible for a man in a powerful position to make comments like this."

Fulham manager Marieanne Spacey said Blatter's view were harmful.

"Surely it's about skill and tactical ability first and how people look second," she said.

"Ten years ago we did play in tighter shorts. Nobody paid attention then."